Toast
  Re: (...)
I made some whole wheat toast this morning, and as I got a really nice whiff of it, I had this nostalgic thing happenin' when you remember aromas of foods you love...

Anyone have any special, nostalgic (or otherwise) food aromas they'd like to share? No fair just to say 'baking' instead of a specific baked good!
  Re: Toast by sugarbrown (I made some whole wh...)
Cinnamon rolls come to mind! BTW, did you see my picture of your famous banana cake???

Maryann
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."
Oh, yeah, Cindy, stewed beans (love 'em), pot roast in the crockpot, Mom's orange glazed pork roast on Christmas Day, Whoopie Pies!

Nice subject, it will be fun to read through everyones "cooking aroma" memories!

My kids will probably say Toll house cookies, maple and brown sugar Cream of Wheat and bread. And roasted chicken.

PJ
PJ
  Re: Re: Toast by pjcooks (Oh, yeah, Cindy, st...)
Don't know that it would count as a food aroma, but I still love the smell of a Hot Buttered Rum being prepared. Just says "Fall is here!"
Chef de Cuisine
The Cowboy and The Rose Catering

USMC Sgt 1979-1985
  Re: Re: Toast by Mare749 (Cinnamon rolls come ...)
TURKEY roasting-----and maybe some Chinese spices in stir fries

Anything baking---sorry for that, but that is always a non-starter!!!
"Never eat more than you can lift" Miss Piggy
I'd have to say pumpkin pie. Always been partial to pie over cake, and since my b-day is in November, my mom would make a pumpkin pie on my birthday. That smell just says "love" to me.
  Re: Re: Toast by HomeCulinarian (I'd have to say pump...)
Walking into the house for lunch as a kid on a cold winter's day. My father wouldn't eat any pasta ( his Mother never cooked it on the farm, ya know). My mother would cook elbow macaroni part way, then simmer it in tomato juice. It would be simmering away on the back of the wood stove. ( Now you know how old I am!!!). I was probably in grade one. When I would open the door, that's all I could smell. I used to run down the hall and darn near jump on the stove to get at it.
Practice safe lunch. Use a condiment.
  Re: Re: Toast by Lorraine (Walking into the hou...)
I think the smell of cardamom . . . it makes me think of my Grandparents and my summers there - the wonderful aebelskiver that Grandmother would get up early to make for Granddad and I. There were huge piles of them and we'd race to see how many we could each eat.

Then there were the Swedish meatballs that Grandmother and my Mother would make - with lots of cardamom and dill. Whenever I make them I think of both of those wonderful ladies.

Just the smell of it now brings back wonderful memories, and the mad crazy desire to have aebelskiver and Swedish meatballs for dinner. That would be a weird combination.

Lorraine do you still cook macaroni that way??? It sounds awfully good to me.
You only live once . . . but if you do it right once should be enough!
  Re: Re: Toast by Lorraine (Walking into the hou...)
Quote:

My mother would cook elbow macaroni part way, then simmer it in tomato juice. It would be simmering away on the back of the wood stove. ( Now you know how old I am!!!). I was probably in grade one. When I would open the door, that's all I could smell. I used to run down the hall and darn near jump on the stove to get at it.

That's another good one, Lorraine! Macaroni cooked with stewed (here we go with stewed again) tomatoes!

PJ
PJ
  Re: Re: Toast by Harborwitch (I think the smell of...)
The smell of frying has always upset me, but the smell of a disgracefully fully flavoured one pot casserole is heavenly for me. And my family. Not that I care much, but it is practically no fat either. Served in deep soupish bowls with the wide rim to balance a bit of bread.