Autumn Spice Cake Review
  Re: (...)
I made this cake last night and it was phenomenal. I can not think of enough good things to say about it. Husband said it was like "unhealthy carrot cake" but in a good way. It did remind me a lot of carrot cake minus carrots oh and the yummy cream cheese frosting. The frosting on this cake was so good that even he liked the bowl clean ;-) I thought that the flavors worked so well together but I will say it is a rich frosting. The only thing I did not add was the cardamom but everything else was the same. Will definitely keep this for those fall holiday get togethers.
Thanks
Linda
  Re: Autumn Spice Cake Review by Emmasmum (I made this cake las...)
I have been admiring this cake for a couple of weeks. The photos look fabulous. I would not add the cardmom either since we have people here who are allergic to it. I love the flavor, but it's not worth the pain other endure. Did you take a picture??
"Time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time."
Laura
  Re: Autumn Spice Cake Review by Emmasmum (I made this cake las...)
Oh thank you, Linda!!! I've been wanting to post to beg someone to please make this and let us know if it's worth all the drooling I'm doing over it....shoot, it is, eh? (yes to cardamom in this house)
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Autumn Spice Cake Review by cjs (Oh thank you, Linda!...)
I did not take a photo but I can tell you that is it even better the second day ;-)
  Re: Re: Autumn Spice Cake Review by Emmasmum (I did not take a pho...)
Can I persuade someone to post the recipe for this PLEASE. I absolutely love spice cake!!
Lori
http://www.RecipeGirl.com

"Everything tastes better with wine"
  Re: Re: Autumn Spice Cake Review by SDRecipeGirl (Can I persuade someo...)
Here you go!! (you owe me for this one)

* Exported from MasterCook *

Autumn Spice Cake with Sticky Coconut-Pecan Icing

COMBINE:
1 cup rolled oats (not quick-
cooking or instant)
1 cup boiling water
1/4 cup buttermilk
1 t. ground cinnamon
1/4 t. ground nutmeg
1/4 t. ground ginger
1/4 t. ground cardamom -- optional
CREAM -- ADD:
1 stick unsalted butter
room temperature
1 cup sugar
3/4 cup brown sugar
2 eggs
1 t. vanilla extract
BLEND IN -- ADD:
1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1 t. baking soda
1/2 t. table salt
Oat mixture PREPARE -- SERVE WITH:
Sticky Coconut-Pecan Icing and Sweetened Sour Cream

Preheat oven to 350°; coat two
8" round cake pans with nonstick spray, line with rounds of parchment, then coat with spray again.

Combine oats, water, buttermilk, and spices in a bowl; let stand for 15 minutes.

Cream butter with both sugars in
a second bowl until well blended, about 3 minutes. Add the eggs and vanilla; beat to incorporate.

Blend flour, baking soda, and salt into butter mixture just until combined, then add oat mixture. Divide batter between prepared pans
and bake 30-35 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the cakes comes out clean.

Cool on a rack for 10 minutes, then invert cakes onto the rack, lift off the pans, and peel away the parchment. Cool layers completely before frosting.

Prepare icing and cream mixture. Frost cake as on Page 50, slice, and serve with sour cream mixture.

See recipes for Sticky Coconut-Pecan Icing and Sweetened Sour Cream

Notes for cake & icing from magazine:
#1. In the soaking process, the buttermilk may curdle in the hot water, but don't worry. It won't hurt the cake.
#2. The heat of adding the spices to the hot water will help intensify their flavors.
#3. The cake layers can be frozen for up to a month - thaw completely at room temp. before frosting.

#4. The icing should simmer over med-low heat, speeding up the process by simmering the icing over higher heat could cause the egg yolks to curdle.
#5. The icing is spread over the first layer (not the sides), then top with the second layer and the remaining icing.
#6. Because the icing is so sticky, (the author) uses an electric knife to cut the cake. If no electric knife, dip a thin-bladed carving knife into hot water and wipe it clean before each slice.

Description:
"C@H, Issue #65, Oct. '07"
------

* Exported from MasterCook *

Sticky Coconut-Pecan Icing & Sweetened Sour Cream

TOAST:
1 cup sweetened shredded coonut
3/4 cup pecan halves
SiMMER:
1 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup heavy cream
1 stick unsalted butter -- cubed
3 egg yolks
Generous pinch of salt
OFF HEAT -- ADD; FOLD IN:
1 T. dark rum -- optional
1 t. vanilla extract
Toasted coconut and pecans

Makes about 2 1/2 cups

Preheat oven to 350°.
Toast coconut on a baking sheet until quite dark, 10-12 minutes.

Toast pecans on a separate baking sheet until brown and fragrant, about 15 minutes. Coarsely chop pecans; set aside with coconut.

Simmer brown sugar, cream, butter, yolks, and salt in a saucepan over medium-low heat, stirring constantly. Cook until mixture thickens, about 8 minutes.

Off heat, add rum and vanilla. Cool until warm to the touch, then fold in coconut and pecans.

Sweetened Sour Cream
makes 1 1/2 cups

1/2 cup sour cream
1/2 cup heavy cream
3 T. sugar

Beat all ingredients to soft peaks in a bowl with a hand mixer.

Can be made and chilled up to 1 hour before serving.

Description:
"C@H, Issue #65, Oct. '07"
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Autumn Spice Cake Review by cjs (Here you go!! (you o...)
THANK YOU!!!!!!

I'll have you over for dinner sometime, how does that sound?

I don't care for coconut in frosting, so I wonder if I could just sub a nice cream cheese frosting?
Lori
http://www.RecipeGirl.com

"Everything tastes better with wine"
  Re: Re: Autumn Spice Cake Review by Emmasmum (I did not take a pho...)
Sorry for reviving an old thread, but I was planning on making this cake for Thanksgiving and I was wondering if you thought it would be ok to make it a day ahead (minus the sweetened sour cream...I'll make that at dessert time)

Thanks in advance!
  Re: Re: Autumn Spice Cake Review by staceytronic (Sorry for reviving a...)
Welcome to c@h, Stacey!! It's always fun to re-look at old posts, especially such delicious sounding ones.

Personally, I think most cakes benefit from one day's holding, seems to 'up' the flavors - especially with a spice cake!
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Autumn Spice Cake Review by cjs (Welcome to [url=mail...)
I have been drooling over this cake too. After Thanksgiving!
You only live once . . . but if you do it right once should be enough!