In The Near Future
  Re: (...)
Here's one I'm going to make in the near future. Maybe when I get back to cooking again.

* Exported from MasterCook *

Shrimp & Grits with Tomato Cream Sauce

Recipe By :
Serving Size : 4 Preparation Time :0:00
Categories : A List Fish-Shellfish-Seafood

Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
-------- ------------ --------------------------------
1 tablespoon unsalted butter
1 1/2 cups tomatoes -- diced
1/2 cup heavy cream
1/4 cup chicken broth
1/2 cup scallions (green part only) -- chopped
1 tablespoon dry sherry
salt and freshly ground black pepper
1 cup kielbasa -- cut in 1/2" slices
1/4 cup onion -- diced
1/4 cup red bell pepper -- diced
1/4 cup yellow bell pepper -- diced
1 tablespoon garlic -- minced
16 large shrimp, peeled and deveined -- tails left on
2 teaspoons Old Bay Seafood seasoning
1/2 teaspoon cayenne
1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
1/2 teaspoon black pepper
2 tablespoons dry sherry

Saute tomatoes in 1 Tbs butter for the sauce in a small saucepan over medium-high heat. Cook for 2 minutes, then add cream and broth. Reduce heat to medium-low and simmer 5 minutes. Keep sauce warm over very low heat.

Stir in scallions and 1 Tbs sherry. Season with salt and pepper, simmer 3 minutes. Keep sauce warm over very low heat.

Saute kielbasa for the shrimp in 1 Tbs butter in a nonstick skillet over medium heat for 1 minute. Add onion, peppers, and garlic; saute until onion is softened, about 4 minutes.

Season shrimp with Old Bay, cayenne, salt, and pepper, then add to kielbasa. Saute 3 minutes, or until shrimp are fully cooked. Deglaze with 2 Tbs sherry and cook 1 minute, or until sherry evaporates. To serve, divide grits among 4 bowls, then top with shrimp and kielbasa. Serve sauce on the side.

Source:
"CuisineAtHome, Weeknight Menues Vol. II"
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Don't wait too long to tell someone you love them.

Billy
  Re: In The Near Future by bjcotton (Here's one I'm going...)
Grits---is that similar to cornmeal??? I can get either white or yellow here---Volume II, huh? Okay---I'm not gonna whine because I am now a grown up--
"Never eat more than you can lift" Miss Piggy
  Re: Re: In The Near Future by Roxanne 21 (Grits---is that simi...)
Pretty much, Roxanne, although the grind is probably different. Remember when polenta became all the rage? I used to see little tiny packages of it on the deli counter or other POS, for $3 or $4, people had no idea. Cornmeal by another name. Versatile stuff, isn't it? By the way, my southern (Georgia) born and bred aunt always served white grits.

PJ
PJ
  Re: In The Near Future by bjcotton (Here's one I'm going...)
I replied to this earlier, but it didn't show up. So forgive me if my reponse shows up twice.

I know people who LOVE grits. I have never had them . I assume they are like polenta only runnier. Am I right?

I would sure give them a try
"Time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time."
Laura
  Re: Re: In The Near Future by luvnit (I replied to this ea...)
Quote:

I know people who LOVE grits. I assume they are like polenta only runnier. Am I right?

All the same bird, just a different color!
Vive Bene! Spesso L'Amore! Di Risata Molto!

Buon Appetito!

Linda
  Re: Re: In The Near Future by MUSICMAKER ([blockquote]Quote:[h...)
I "blindfold" an egg (saute by flipping grease over the top--do not turn over) and serve along side grits so the yellow mixes with the grits. Add a little butter--serve with toast for sopping and a sliced tomato. Southern heaven.
"He who sups with the devil should have a. long spoon".
  Re: Re: In The Near Future by Old Bay (I "blindfold" an egg...)
Hmmmmmm...grits with eggs with runny yolk! The only thing missing is just a dash or two of Tabasco. YUM!

Okay. I hadn't bought any grits in a while (they're available in an import store here), but now I know it's time to get some again. So what if I'm a Yankee?
If blueberry muffins have blueberries in them, what do vegan muffins have?
  Re: Re: In The Near Future by Old Bay (I "blindfold" an egg...)
Everything except the tomatoes Bill!

Half-Baked sent me a 5 pound bag of stone ground grits. Grits are not quite as finely ground as cornmeal/polenta. Nobody here likes grits. I like hominy grits too...yum!
Don't wait too long to tell someone you love them.

Billy
  Re: Re: In The Near Future by labradors (Hmmmmmm...grits with...)
Oooooooh yeah! With some good country sausage, or chicken fried steak!!! We used to like a little Old Bay seasoning and tabasco on them.
You only live once . . . but if you do it right once should be enough!
  Re: Re: In The Near Future by bjcotton (Everything except th...)
Try baking some cooked grits with some chopped roasted poblanos and some jalapeno jack cheese--some kind of deal.
"He who sups with the devil should have a. long spoon".