ISO DIFFERENT MUFFIN FLAVORS
  Re: (...)
Does anyone out there have any recipes to share for (breakfast) muffins, aside from the faithful, standard run-of-the-mills, i.e. blueberry, banana, orange-cranberry, oatmeal, lemon poppyseed?

Would appreciate anything aside from the aboves. Thanks much!
Vive Bene! Spesso L'Amore! Di Risata Molto!

Buon Appetito!

Linda
  Re: ISO DIFFERENT MUFFIN FLAVORS by MUSICMAKER (Does anyone out ther...)
I have lots and I'll post some tomorrow. But, you'll be sorry if you bypass my blueberry muffins - the best the world has ever seen. Up to you....
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: ISO DIFFERENT MUFFIN FLAVORS by cjs (I have lots and I'll...)
I have a good applesauce muffin recipe, if you're interested.
Cis, I want your blueberry muffin recipe! If you've already posted it, let me know and I'll just do a search.
-jenni

"One cannot think well, love well, sleep well, if one has not dined well." Virginia Woolf
  Re: Re: ISO DIFFERENT MUFFIN FLAVORS by jenni (I have a good apples...)
I'm sorry, cjs! I confused you with Cis! :-(
-jenni

"One cannot think well, love well, sleep well, if one has not dined well." Virginia Woolf
Here are two - you mentioned not oatmeal - but these are really good with the sour cream and pineapple. Loved the Lemon Raspberry - next time I make them I will add even more lemon flavor.

Oatmeal Raisin Muffins

Recipe By :
Serving Size : 12 Preparation Time :0:00
Categories :

Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
-------- ------------ --------------------------------
8 ounces crushed pineapple in juice
1 cup sour cream
1 egg
1/4 cup butter -- melted
1 1/2 cups flour
1 cup old-fashioned rolled oats
1/2 cup sugar
1 tablespoon baking powder
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 cup raisins

Combine Undrained pineapple, sour cream, egg and butter until blended.

Combine remaining ingredients, make well in center. Pour in pineapple
mixture. Stir until just mixed.

Spoon into greased or lined muffin pans. Bake in 350 degree oven 30 - 35
minutes until tests done and lightly browned.

Yield:
"1 dozen"
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

* Exported from MasterCook *

Raspberry Lemon Streusel Muffins

Recipe By :
Serving Size : 12 Preparation Time :0:00
Categories : Muffin

Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
-------- ------------ --------------------------------
STREUSEL TOPPING
1/4 cup melted butter or margarine
1/2 cup all purpose flour
2 tablespoons sugar
1 1/2 teaspoons finely shredded lemon peel

MUFFINS
2 1/2 cups all purpose flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 1/3 cups sugar
1 tablespoon finely shredded lemon peel
1 egg
1 cup buttermilk
1/2 cup melted butter or margarine
1 tablespoon lemon juice
1 1/2 cups whole frozen raspberries (about 6 oz) -- do not thaw
1 tablespoon flour

Adjust oven rack to middle position and preheat oven to 400º. Stir all
streusel ingredients together to form soft, crumbly dough. Set aside.

Whisk dry muffin ingredients and lemon peel together. In a separate bowl,
combine all liquid ingredients. Add in dry ingredients and stir until
almost fully incorporated. Toss frozen raspberries with flour to coat,
then gently fold into dough, handling only enough to incorporate berries.
Using paper muffin cup liners, fill each cup until 1/4" from top. Crumble
streusel topping over each.

Bake for 15 minutes, then reduce heat to 350º and bake for another 10
minutes, or until lightly browned and muffin springs back when pressed
lightly with fingertip.

Makes 9 large or 12 standard size

Source:
"Oregon Raspberry & Blackberry Commission"
S(Internet address):
"http://www.oregon-berries.com/"
Yield:
"12 Muffins"
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Erin
Mom to three wonderful 7th graders!
The time is flying by.
Jean posted a really good cheesecake muffin recipe some time ago, I've made it using all sorts of dried fruit and nut combos but I'll be damned if I can find it, I look back and keep getting sidetracked.

I'll keep looking.

PJ
PJ
  Re: Re: ISO DIFFERENT MUFFIN FLAVORS by pjcooks (Jean posted a really...)
PJ, will look for the cheesecake muffin recipe, too. Let me know if you find it, too!

Erin, love the "sound" of the raspberry-lemon muffins! We are lemon-heads here, too! When you state you would add more lemon next time, in what way? Zest? Juice? Both? Also like the sound of the pineapple with the oatmeal! That's a new combo here! Those, too, sound good!

Jenni, the applesauce muffins sound refreshing. Would you please post your recipe for them?

Jean, will take your blueberry recipe! nothing wrong with comparing, right?! Have been using the same recipe for years, it's the recipe that the bakery on that one episode of Seinfeld used, the episode about Elaine and her "muffin tops"...I never watched the show, except for THAT episode, if you can believe that! Guess it was meant to be watched it that time...what's even funnier is that a few days ago during some channel surfing, left the channel on whatever and on comes Seinfeld. One guess what episode it was. Yep! Now what are the chances of that!!?? Years later.... Anyway, back on track...will take anything you care to post, Jean. Just want to get some variety this time around. Muffins are a big thing around here come this time of year and it would be nice to have a wide variety to offer without frequent repeats.

Thanks, all! Keep 'em comin'!!!

Buon Appetito!

Linda
  Re: Re: ISO DIFFERENT MUFFIN FLAVORS by MUSICMAKER (PJ, will look for th...)
PJ, is this the one? Even if it is not, it sure sounds yummy! (#23889)

Please advise either way! Thanks!

White Chocolate Muffins with Cheesecake Filling : 16 muffins

Cheesecake filling:
8 ounces cream cheese, softened
1/4 cup granulated sugar
1 large egg
1/8 teaspoon salt

Streusel topping:
1 cup coarsely chopped almonds
2 tablespoons granulated sugar

White chocolate muffins:
3 ounces Swiss white chocolate, coarsely chopped
3/4 cup buttermilk, divided
1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup granulated sugar
1/3 cup vegetable oil
1 large egg
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/2 cup dried cherries, coarsely chopped

Make the cheesecake filling:
In a small bowl, using a hand-held electric mixer, combine the cream cheese, sugar, egg and salt.
On low speed, beat until creamy. Set aside.

Make the streusel topping:
In a small bowl combine the almonds and sugar. Set aside.

Make the muffins:
Position a rack in the center of the oven and preheat to 350 degrees F.
Line 16 muffin cups with paper baking cps and set aside.
Place the white chocolate and 1/4 cup of milk in a small bowl and melt according to the directions in the Chocolate Key.
In a medium bowl sift together the flour, baking soda and salt. Stir with a wire whisk to combine. Set aside.
In a 4 1/2-quart bowl of a heavy-duty electric mixer, using the paddle attachment, combine the sugar, vegetable oil, egg, and vanilla extract; beat well.
Using a wooden spoon, stir in the melted chocolate. Gradually add the flour mixture alternately with the remaining 1/2 cup milk.
Using a rubber spatula, scrape down the sides of the bowl and stir to mix well.
Stir in the dried cherries.
Spoon half of the batter into the 16 paper-lined muffin pans.
Spoon 1 slightly mounded tablespoon of the cheesecake filling over the batter and top with remaining batter, filling two-thirds full.
Sprinkle the streusel topping over the muffin tops.
Bake for about 25 minutes or until a cake tester inserted in the center comes out clean.
Cool 5 minutes and remove from pans to cool completely. When cool, store the muffins in a plastic bag or airtight container.

"Melting chocolate to use as a baking ingredient for candy work or decoration requires gentle heat. Chocolate that is overheated may scorch, lose flavor and turn coarse and grainy. Stir melting chocolate after it has begun to liquefy. Because of the sensitivity of milk solids to heat, milk and white chocolates should be stirred constantly while dark chocolate need only be stirred frequently during melting.
Here are two good methods for melting chocolate so that it is smooth and glossy:

Chocolate Key:
In a microwave oven:
Place coarsely chopped chocolate in a microwave-safe container and microwave at MEDIUM (50 percent power) for 1 1/2 to 4 minutes, until the chocolate turns shiny.
Remove the container from the microwave and stir the chocolate until completely melted.
Stir milk and white chocolate after about 1 1/2 minutes. Because of their milk proteins, they need to be stirred sooner than dark chocolate.
If overheated, these chocolates may become grainy.

In a double boiler:
Place coarsely chopped chocolate in the top of a double boiler over hot, not simmering, water.
Melt the chocolate, stirring until smooth."

Buon Appetito!

Linda
  Re: Re: ISO DIFFERENT MUFFIN FLAVORS by MUSICMAKER (PJ, will look for th...)
Linda - I would probably start by adding more of both - not a real baker - I don't know what would add the most lemon flavor - I just thought it could use a little more Lemon. Otherwise really good. I used frozen raspberries - didn't thaw - and they were great! I need to make these again soon!
Erin
Mom to three wonderful 7th graders!
The time is flying by.
  Re: Re: ISO DIFFERENT MUFFIN FLAVORS by esgunn (Linda - I would prob...)
Erin, can they be made with fresh raspberries? I mean I'm sure they could be, but sometimes recipes are written specifically for fresh or frozen products because as they cook/bake, you have the water/thaw situation vs. fresh. Just wondering if this recipe was written this way, to use frozen.

I think I'm going to try adding both with respect to zest and juice. Tho looking at the amount of zest, more of this could be added. Have made recipes with tablespoons of zest and that really makes the flavor "pop". Think this is what I'm going to do. Will let you know how it turns out. We really do love lemon.

Might even try using lemon "oil" vs. an extract...the oils are much more concentrated in flavor. Don't want to be adding more juice, even by the spoonfuls because that amount of liquid could really change the balances in the recipe. I'll more than likely make these tomorrow. Will let you know how the lemon oil works. It's something you can get at the grocery store, in the baking section. Will fill you in more tomorrow, after these are made. Thanks!

Buon Appetito!

Linda