Stove-top Espresso Makers
  Re: (...)
Does anyone have one, and if so, do you like it?
-jenni

"One cannot think well, love well, sleep well, if one has not dined well." Virginia Woolf
  Re: Stove-top Espresso Makers by jenni (Does anyone have one...)
Yes, have several, as a matter of fact. (we are Italian, so this is a definite, a must-must have!) We have the Bialetti brand, all stainless steel, 3 different ones (in size), a 2, 6 and 12 cup. There are some out there that are not stainless...you want to stay away from those, IMHO. To me, they impart something from the aluminum (taste-wise). I like the clean up of the SS ones, and they look better, too. There is also one, a new model, that has a frother on one side...tried that one and brought it back. Made more of a mess than anything else! And if you just want espresso, you don't need it, anyway! And if anyone wants "frothy milk", keep reading....

We also have the electric capp/esspresso/latte/foam, a very expensive one (commercial, and don't say that to brag, read on...just goes to show....!) and 2 others, one moderate priced and the other lower. I don't care for any of them! Give me the stovetop one any day! And if anyone wants their "foamy milk", I use the "stick" or you can purchase one of those frother thing-ies for about $15...for as much as you would use it. I don't care for any of the electric machines because they are hell-o to clean. You mess up this monstrosity for 2 ounces of liquid. Nah. I have better things to do with my time than clean a machine!!! Too many parts to clean, and if you don't put the grind holder on correctly it can blow off and then you have espresso grinds all over the place which you end up cleaning for ever and ever! No thank you!

Hummmm......does this help???!!!
Vive Bene! Spesso L'Amore! Di Risata Molto!

Buon Appetito!

Linda
Hi Jenni, yes, I do have a stove top espresso pot, Bialetti, I think. It works just great, and like Linda said, it's so much easier to clean than one of those expensive machines, and nothing to break down. If you like espresso, go for it!

Maryann
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."
Yes,...I've got a 9 cup stove top...which makes about 1 large cup (i.e. normal cup of coffe 12 to 14 oz). The first time I saw one of these was on a job. There was an Italian electician by the name of Guisseppe and at break time you would see him walking by with a small stove top espresso maker. I still can't figure out where he was heating it at. The second time I was picking cherries at a friends house and she brought me a cup of latte mad with one of these little wonders. The next day I went to town and spent about 6 hours tracking one down. I just love it.It is less hassle than my electric. One word of caution...dont tighten the top and bottom to tightly..I did, broke the handle and now have to use to pot holders to pour it into a cup. The only downside is that I'm full of energy until about 2 p.m.....go figure...
Seriously it makes great coffee.
  Re: Re: Stove-top Espresso Makers by cpayne (Yes,...I've got a 9 ...)
Quote:

The only downside is that I'm full of energy until about 2 p.m.....go figure...

Then it's working!!! The coffee, that is! In Italy, we do not drink "coffee" (or espresso, cappuccino, lattes, or whatever) like people here in America. In Italy, that "strong" coffee is meant to last up until that time of day, 2 o'clock, and that's when all the stores, shops, bakeries, any business, will close and remain closed for their afternoon naps, Siesta, etc., and then will reopen between 4 and 6. During that period of the, the women go home and start supper, which begins around 8 p.m. and will last sometimes until 10, depending on what she made. By then, the food gets everyone tired (we all know that feeling!) then it's nighty-night until 4-6 a.m., depending on what business you are in, you have that "double dose", the espresso and the cycle begins again! So your being on the live wire until 2, consider yourself right on schedule!!!

Buon Appetito!

Linda
WELCOME to our little family, cpayne......hope to see you around often.

We had one of those stove top makers when we first moved here because it was the only way we could get a great espresso. It was also a Biatelli and was absolutely wonderful.

Not to be a snob, but, we purchased one of those Saeco machines a few years ago and this makes THE perfect whatever coffee concoction you could ever want. I don't find the cleaning of it a problem...any gadget that uses coffee grinds makes a mess, IMHO Off topic---sorry!
"Never eat more than you can lift" Miss Piggy
Thank you all for your insights! I've seen the Bialetti around here, and it seemed kind of fun for a reasonable price. :-)
-jenni

"One cannot think well, love well, sleep well, if one has not dined well." Virginia Woolf
cpayne, welcome to the forum! Hope you come back again and join in the fun and conversation. Everyone here is so nice and you will pick up a lot of great recipes.

Jenni, I'll be anxious to hear how you like your new espresso maker.

Maryann
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."
  Re: Re: Stove-top Espresso Makers by Mare749 (cpayne, welcome to t...)
cpayne, sorry for the oversight, of your being new to the forum. A big welcome to ya! Do come back often and join us! As others before this post have stated, everyone here is so nice, and we have fun, too. A lot of joking and teasing going on, we continue to learn about cooking, baking, and anything else that comes up, but even more good recipes! I've only been here for a couple months, but if there is any question about the people here, you need look no further, as evidenced by the support and love sent thru space to our dearest Billy J. So come back often and join the party!

Ciao!

Buon Appetito!

Linda
Welcome, cpayne!

Thanks all you enablers out there, guess I have to go buy another new toy

I've been thinking about this for a while, maybe it's time to get off the fence, so I too appreciate all your comments.

PJ
PJ