Not your everyday roasted spuds!
  Re: (...)
These have go to be the most sinful roasted potatoes ever!!! Think they have got to be the best roasted spuds we’ve ever had or at least have had for some time!!!

This is from the cookbook, “Roasting, A Simple Art”, by Barbara Kafka. Give ‘em a try! They are worth the effort!

OVEN ROASTED POTATOES

INGREDIENTS:

3 tablespoons un salted butter, cut into 6 pieces, plus 1 tablespoon reserved in the frig
3 tablespoons olive oil
6 large baking potatoes (about 3 pounds)
1 teaspoon kosher salt
freshly ground black pepper, to taste
2 cups basic chicken stock

DIRECTIONS:

1. Place rack in top third of oven.
2. Heat oven to 500 degrees F.
3. Put the 3 tablespoons of butter into an 18 x 12 x 2 roasting pan. Set the pan over medium heat just until the butter has melted. Remove from heat and add the olive oil.
4. Peel the potatoes and cut in half lengthwise, then cut each half into half again across. Cut each quarter into 3 wedges.
5. Put in roasting pan. Roll wedges in the butter and oil until evenly coated. Arrange them so that they touch as little as possible. Sprinkle with salt and pepper.
6. Roast for 15 minutes. Turn wedges with a pancake turner.
7. Roast another 10 minutes and turn again.
8. Roast another 10 minutes.
9. Remove pan from oven. Turn wedges again, making sure to turn the white sides of each wedge face up.
10. Add the chicken stock and return to the oven for a final 15 minutes. The potatoes can be made up to this point and hel for 4-6 hours.
11. NOTE: If using all butter, roast for 10 minutes, 5 minutes, 5 minutes, add stock, roast 15 minutes.
12. When ready to serve, dot the wedges with small pieces of the reserved tablespoon of butter. (it’s easier to break up the butter into teeny pieces when it is cold).
13. If the potatoes have been at room temp, roast 15 minutes. If they are still warm, 5 minutes will do nicely.
14. Remove potatoes right away to a platter to prevent sticking to the roasting pan.

NOTES: The recipe doesn't call for this but next time I would spray the roasting pan with no-stick spray if only for the cleaning afterwards. The potatoes didn't stick, but they were removed right away like the recipe called for.

Next time would place the potatoes in a bowl and drizzle them with the butter and olive oil, toss then place in roaster. Easier!
Vive Bene! Spesso L'Amore! Di Risata Molto!

Buon Appetito!

Linda
  Re: Not your everyday roasted spuds! by MUSICMAKER (These have go to be ...)
We make oven roasted fries fairly often. Haven't used butter with them, though. We use olive oil and various spice blends depending on the rest of the meal. I also found that covering the oven sheet with foil and spraying the foil with PAM eliminated sticking and made for an easier clean up. These are also great on the grill.
  Re: Re: Not your everyday roasted spuds! by HomeCulinarian (We make oven roasted...)
We par boil fingerlings, spread butter, salt & pepper on them ( after slicing longwise in half after boiling) and grill in a grill pan until we get marks and some browning with crispness. Good taste and presentation. Serve like a baked potato--chives, sour cream, butter, or a fried potato-ketchup, A-1, Dat'l do It. etc.
"He who sups with the devil should have a. long spoon".
We entertain a lot--I love the do ahead--sounds great--Duly recorded.
"He who sups with the devil should have a. long spoon".
  Re: Re: Not your everyday roasted spuds! by Old Bay (We entertain a lot--...)
Sounds divine. We make taties unpeeled but chunked, buttered with brush, roasted hot on foil, turned a couple of times. I do prefer salted butter. Turn out crispy and 'lish. If you can be bothered with making your own chips, cut the battens thickish, at least 1 cm. and dry. Fry two to three times and drain after each.

One only needs about half a dozen depending on the size of the spuddies. And a firm cream cheese, picked off a chilled wee butter dish, (all have their own), is pure delight. I love the hardness of the spike of cheese with the hot hot chip. And salt, and a spray of malt vinegar.
hmmm, seems the addition of chix stock would negate the wonderful texture the roasted potatoes just achieved. But, I shouldn't knock it till I've tried it. Sans the stock, this is how I oven roast my tatoes when it's raining too hard to grill them. with lots of different herbs/seasonings.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Not your everyday roasted spuds! by cjs (hmmm, seems the addi...)
Jean, it's been pouring down rain here for the past 3 days now (my bad hip feels it!) and it's been cold -- 50-52. That's cold when a few days ago it was 94! Anyway, we had another indoor meal because of it!

The addition of the chicken stock surprised me as I thot the same, that they would turn out soft and/or mushy but what a surprise! They were nice and golden and crispy on the outside and lusciously creamy inside! Think the 500 degree temp had a lot to do with this!

The recipe didn't call for anything more -- herb or spice wise -- but surely they could be added. Have been wanting to try these for a long time and last nite the kids didn't want anything spicy so grabbed the opportunity and tried these. They were surprisingly good. A definite 9 here. Also liked the make ahead option. Did take some out for testing this and had them for lunch. I think they were even better than last night's batch!
Vive Bene! Spesso L'Amore! Di Risata Molto!

Buon Appetito!

Linda