hot pepper jelly and salsa verde
  Re: (...)
I love to make both of these (to can for winter) and was wondering what your favorite recipe was. Thanks in advance to all who submit one or two.
Cis
Cis
Empress for Life
  Re: hot pepper jelly and salsa verde by farnfam (I love to make both ...)
Have never made them, but would like a recipe. Here are the jellies I by locally:

[Image: jellycp7.jpg]

These are better than any of the other locally-made jellies, and the Pineapple-Jalapeño one is wonderful!
If blueberry muffins have blueberries in them, what do vegan muffins have?
  Re: Re: hot pepper jelly and salsa verde by labradors (Have never made them...)
Cis, here is the one my dad would make every year. He LOVED things HOT, HOT, HOT and I remember him adding MORE chiles than this called for. The "original" batch was always hot enough for the rest of us.
Guess you could taste it before canning to see if you wanted it any hotter.

The first one I don't remember him canning but he made it all the time. If you know enough about canning, I'm sure this could be. This is good even with pita chips!

Sweet and Spicy Roasted Red Pepper Jam

Yield: Approx. 2 cups

3 red bell peppers, 6-9 oz. each, roasted
6 tablespoons olive oil
1 small onion, rough chop
1 clove garlic, minced
1 tablespoon ground cumin
½ medium jalapeno pepper, minced, or any other hot red or green FRESH pepper
¼ cup chopped fresh flat leaf parsley
2 tablespoons molasses
2 tablespoons lime juice, FRESHLY squeezed
salt and fresh cracked black pepper, to taste

DIRECTIONS:

1. Adjust oven rack to top position. Turn broiler on. With oven door closed, let oven heat for 5 minutes. Oven rack should be 2 1/2 to 3 1/2 inches from heating element. If not, set a jelly-roll pan, turned upside down, on oven rack to elevate pan (see illustration 6). Broil peppers, with oven door closed, until spotty brown, about 5 minutes. Reverse pan in oven; roast until skin is charred and puffed but the flesh is still firm, 3 to 5 minutes longer.

2. Remove pan from oven; let peppers sit until cool enough to handle; peel and discard skin from each piece (illustration 7). For those who prefer, peppers can be transferred to a large heat-resistant bowl, covered with plastic wrap, and steamed for 15 minutes before peeling skin. Set aside.

3. Heat oil in a medium skillet over medium-high heat. Add onion; sauté until softened, about 5 minutes. Add garlic, cumin, and chile; sauté until garlic softens, about 1 minute longer.

4. Transfer mixture to a food processor fitted with steel blade. Add peppers, parsley, molasses, and juice; process until very smooth. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Transfer to a bowl and serve with toasted pita. (Can be covered and refrigerated up to 1 week.)

HOT PEPPER JELLY

INGREDIENTS:

3/4 cup chopped green bell pepper
1/4 cup chopped fresh hot green pepper, such as jalapeno or serrano
1 1/2 cups apple cider vinegar
6 cups sugar
4 ounces pectin (recommended: Certo)
4 drops green food coloring

Special Equipment: 6 (1/2-pint) canning jars with lids

DIRECTIONS:

STERILIZE JARS AND ALL EQUIPMENT!!!!! EVEN YOU HANDS!!!

Process bell pepper and hot pepper in a food processor until finely minced. Combine pepper mixture, vinegar, and sugar in a saucepan and bring to a rolling boil. Remove from heat and add pectin and food coloring. Pour into sterilized jars and seal*.
**Always follow USDA guidelines for proper sterilization and canning procedures.

Tips for Sterilizing Jars
Properly-handled sterilized equipment will keep canned foods in good condition for years. Sterilizing jars is the first step of preserving foods.
Jars should be made from glass and free of any chips or cracks. Preserving or canning jars are topped with a glass, plastic, or metal lid, which has a rubber seal. Two piece lids are best for canning, as they vacuum seal when processed.
To sterilize jars, before filling with jams, pickles, or preserves, wash jars and lids with hot, soapy water. Rinse well and arrange jars and lids open sides up, without touching, on a tray. Leave in a preheated 175 degree F oven for 25 minutes. Or, boil the jars and lids in a large saucepan, covered with water, for 15 minutes.
Use tongs when handling the hot sterilized jars, to move them from either boiling water or the oven. Be sure the tongs are sterilized too, by dipping the ends in boiling water for a few minutes.
As a rule, hot preserves go into hot jars and cold preserves go into cold jars. All items used in the process of making jams, jellies, and preserves must be clean. This includes any towels used, and especially your hands.

Good Luck!
Vive Bene! Spesso L'Amore! Di Risata Molto!

Buon Appetito!

Linda
My mom made a pepper jelly and served it over a block of cream cheese as a spread for crackers. I'll have to ask her for her recipe.

What else would you do with it?
  Re: Re: hot pepper jelly and salsa verde by HomeCulinarian (My mom made a pepper...)
It's actually quite versitile, HC.

As you posted, that is one way. Can also just spread on biscuits. Can spread it on you bread, rolls, or whatever you use to make a sandwich and use it like a condiment. Can spread it on your bread and make grilled cheese sandwiches. Can also make a sauce or glaze with it and use it when you grill or oven roast fish, shrimp, chicken, beef. It has a southwest flavor, so anything that goes with that, you can use this. It has sugar or molasses in it so it carmalizes very well!

Here are a few recipes for the sauce/glazes:

HOT PEPPER JELLY SAUCE:

1/2 cup cider vinegar
1-1/4 cups hot pepper jelly
1/4 cup fresh cilantro leaves, minced
1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
2 scallions, minced (include the green part, too!)

Place all in a sauce pan and heat to a boil. Lower heat and simmer until reducted and somewhat thickened. Add salt if needed. May also add more vinegar if needed. Keep warm until ready to use.

HOT PEPPERY JELLY SAUCE
1/2 cup white wine
1/2 cup sherry vinegar
2 tablespoons hot sauce
2 tablespoons shallots, finely minced
1/2 cup hot pepper jelly
6 tablespoons softened butter
Salt
Place wine, vinegar, hot sauce, and shallots in a small pot and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer until reduced to 1/4 cup, then whisk in jelly. Over low heat, whisk in butter 1 tablespoon at a time until sauce is creamy in consistency. Taste for seasoning, add salt and adjust

Vive Bene! Spesso L'Amore! Di Risata Molto!

Buon Appetito!

Linda
Here's my basic Red Pepper Jelly. To add heat, add some habanero peppers to the mixture.

This is best made when red peppers are in season, plentiful and cheap. The recipe never did say how many peppers you need, so I usual buy a 1/2 bushel. Wash them, cut them, devein them, seed them, and place in cuisinart. Pulse until smooth. I like them not too smooth, a bit of texture is nice. Then:

2 Cups chopped red pepper
5 cups white sugar
Juice of 1 lemon
1 Cup malt vinegar
1 pouch liquid Certo

Bring peppers, sugar, and vinegar to a boil, stirring often. Remove from heat and let sit 15 minutes.
Add lemon juice.
Put back on heat, bring to boil, and boil 2 minutes.
Remove from heat.
Add Certo. Stir well, and let stand 4 minutes.

Sterilize your jars, lids, and covers, according to manufacturere's directions.
Add the hot jelly to the hot jars to within 1/4 inch, stir to remove air bubbles etc, and seal jars.
These are not processed in a water bath.
I fold up an old bath towel, place the jars on it, then cover them with two more towels. Let cool 24 hours before labelling and storing.
Practice safe lunch. Use a condiment.
  Re: Re: hot pepper jelly and salsa verde by Lorraine (Here's my basic Red ...)
some ideas for HC -
- hot pepper jelly and goat cheese (or just about any cheese)
- use in place of butter on baked potatoes - my favorite.
- top a warmed round of brie
-----
and if you like green tomatoes -

Spread a thin layer of green pepper jelly on pastry crust, next layer green tomatoes sliced medium. Over this, layer carmelized onions and top with gruyere cheese. Bake in a 400 degree oven for 20 minutes/more or less.
Sweet, tart, and savory all in one bite-

---------

Cis, this one is probably reaching a little to call it pepper jelly, but it's different and sure good...

GARLIC PEPPER JELLY

2 16-oz. jars apple jelly
2 tbsps dried parsley flakes
1 Tbsp pressed garlic
1/2 tsp dried crushed red pepper
4 tsps white vinegar

Melt jelly in a med. saucepan over low heat, stirring often.
Stir in parsley & next 3 ingred.
Pour into jars or freezer containers.
Cool; cover and freeze up to 6 mon. (Jelly will not freeze solid.)

Serve over cream cheese or Brie, or use as a basting sauce for chicken or pork.

Yield:
"3 C"
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: hot pepper jelly and salsa verde by cjs (some ideas for HC -[...)
forgot the salsa verde...

here's Tyler Florence's version that we like -

Tomatillo Salsa Verde

1 pound tomatillos -- husked, rinsed
1 jalapeño -- stemmed
1 small Spanish onion -- quartered
3 garlic cloves
1 tablespoon kosher salt
1/2 bunch fresh cilantro leaves -- coarsely chopped
1 lime -- juiced

Bring a pot of water to a boil and add the tomatillos, jalapeño, onion, garlic, and 1 tablespoon salt. Reduce the heat and simmer gently for 5 to 10 minutes until the tomatillos are soft but have not burst.

Add the cooked vegetables to a blender with the cilantro leaves and lime juice. Pour in 1/4 cup of the reserved cooking liquid and process to a coarse puree. Taste and adjust seasoning with more cilantro, lime juice, or salt.

This recipe yields 2 cups.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: hot pepper jelly and salsa verde by cjs (some ideas for HC -[...)
Thanx for all of these suggestions!

The Green Tomato one is the most appealing to start with. Maybe because we are at the end of the tomato harvesting season and we don't really care for them fried.
  Re: Re: hot pepper jelly and salsa verde by HomeCulinarian (Thanx for all of the...)
Thanks everyone, these look wonderful!!
Cis
Cis
Empress for Life