A Lemon Pie NOT for the faint at heart!
  Re: (...)
There are a number of lemon lovers in this forum and this pie is for you! You have to prepare the filling in advance, but it is easy, about 10 minutes worth of your time -- no cooking, heating, blanching... In fact, unless you make your own pie crust, the total active time on this pie is around 15 minutes.

This was our dessert for today and will definitely be made again. For lemon lovers, this has to be darn near a 10!

SHAKER LEMON PIE

This sweet, tart pie, with its marmalade-like filling, is said to have been a specialty of the now gone Ohio Shakers. The Shakers, officially known as the United Society for Believers, enjoyed wholesome, uncomplicated food as part of their commitment to simplicity and self-sufficiency.

YIELD: One 9” pie, serves 6-8

INGREDIENTS:

FILLING:
2 large lemons
2 cups sugar
1/4 teaspoon salt
4 eggs
4 tablespoons butter, melted
3 tablespoons flour

CRUST:
Use your favorite pie crust recipe for a 9 inch double crust pie

DIRECTIONS:

1. Thoroughly wash the lemons, and then dry with paper towels.
2. Finely grate the lemon zest into a bowl. Using a mandoline or very sharp knife, slice the lemons very thin. Remove and discard any seeds.
3. Add the slices to the zest and toss with the sugar and salt.
4. Cover and set aside at room temperature for 24 hours.
5. Preheat oven to 425 degrees Fahrenheit.
6. Have your pie crust ready, having laid the crust for the shell. Have the top crust rolled and ready.
7. In a medium bowl, whisk eggs until frothy.
8. Add butter and flour, whisking until smooth. Stir into lemon mixture.
9. Pour filling into prepared shell. Cover with top crust and crimp edges. Cut steam vents in top crust.
10. Bake until edges begin to brown, about 30 minutes. Reduce heat to 350 degrees and bake until crust is golden brown, 25-30 minutes more.
11. Remove from oven and cool completely on a rack, at least 30 minutes prior to cutting into pie.

Dolce (Desserts) -- Pies
Oops...forgot...This is from "Saveur".
Vive Bene! Spesso L'Amore! Di Risata Molto!

Buon Appetito!

Linda
  Re: A Lemon Pie NOT for the faint at heart! by MUSICMAKER (There are a number o...)
Quote:

There are a number of lemon lovers in this forum

[Labradors eagerly raises hand (paw?)] - "Ooh! Ooh! Right here!"

Quote:

2 large lemons

Define "large." Here, where many carrots are eleven inches long, and many yellow onions are one and a half pounds, it is not uncommon to have quarter-pound lemons that yield as much as six tablespoons of juice.
If blueberry muffins have blueberries in them, what do vegan muffins have?
  Re: A Lemon Pie NOT for the faint at heart! by MUSICMAKER (There are a number o...)
sounds very good. very lemony.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: A Lemon Pie NOT for the faint at heart! by cjs (sounds very good. ve...)
MMmmm Lemons, Yum.
Thanks for this one
Cis
Cis
Empress for Life
Did someone say LEMON??? I'm there - for the wine bottling party Sunday! Yummmmm! Sounds really easy! Thank you!
You only live once . . . but if you do it right once should be enough!
  Re: Re: A Lemon Pie NOT for the faint at heart! by labradors ([blockquote]Quote:[h...)
Quote:

Define "large."

Had to do some research on that, Labs! Can ya remember the size of the lemons here in the good old US of A?!!!!!

Pulled out my little chart…..don’t know if this helps you any, but a medium lemon will yield about 3 tablespoons of juice and a large lemon about 5 tablespoons of juice.

Quote:

…it is not uncommon to have quarter-pound lemons that yield as much as six tablespoons of juice.

Would LOVE to have a quarter pound lemon but doubt it would be big enough!!! As a kid I would eat lemons like people eat oranges! My grandma’s brother (great uncle) had a fruit market and a van (like the UPS kind) and he used it as a mobile fruit/veggie market. He would come over every day to deliver fresh fruit and veggies and would always let me go in the van and pick out the biggest, brightest lemons!

Ah, the things that turned us on as kids!!!

Buon Appetito!

Linda
  Re: Re: A Lemon Pie NOT for the faint at heart! by MUSICMAKER ([blockquote]Quote:[h...)
Quote:

Had to do some research on that, Labs! Can ya remember the size of the lemons here in the good old US of A?!!!!!

Pulled out my little chart…..don’t know if this helps you any, but a medium lemon will yield about 3 tablespoons of juice and a large lemon about 5 tablespoons of juice.

Okay. I just remember the rule of thumb was that one would get two to three tablespoons of juice from the average lemon. These will qualify as large, but not as "huge" (unlike those 1 1/2-pound onions!).

Quote:

Would LOVE to have a quarter pound lemon but doubt it would be big enough!!! As a kid I would eat lemons like people eat oranges!

I STILL like lemons that way, although it always did tend to freak out my friends when we would go to restaurants. They would never use the lemon for their fish or iced tea, so I'd ask them for it. When I'd eat is as one would an orange, they'd make all kinds of faces, unable to imagine that someone would eat a lemon that way. LOL!
  Re: Re: A Lemon Pie NOT for the faint at heart! by labradors ([blockquote]Quote:[h...)
Oh, I still eat them that way, too...and know what you mean about others making faces. I'll order ice water with lemon wedges just to get my hands on some while waiting for the meal! When I was pregnant with #1, CRAVED lemon anything and everything and ON and IN anything and everything!!!! Give you one guess who I "fight" with over who gets the lemons!!!

Buon Appetito!

Linda
  Re: Re: A Lemon Pie NOT for the faint at heart! by MUSICMAKER (Oh, I still eat them...)
ROTFL!

In my early teens, we happened to get some lemon ice-milk from the store. It was SO good I...well...um...

...ate almost the full half gallon in one sitting (it would have been the whole thing had someone else not already taken a small bowl of it earlier).

Not sure whether to mark that as or LOL!
  Re: Re: A Lemon Pie NOT for the faint at heart! by labradors (ROTFL![br][br]In my ...)
Quote:

Not sure whether to mark that as or . LOL!

You did just fine using both!!!

Do you ever make Italian Ice or granita??? That would be right up there for you loving lemon this much. If you need the recipes, just hollar! (Of course you can use any fruit for either of these, but lemon is the flavor that got the others started! Yuuuuuummmmm!!! )

Buon Appetito!

Linda