Lemon Luscious Ice Cream
  Re: (...)
This is a wonderful ice cream - I think it's an old C.I. recipe, but I can't remember for sure.

LEMON-LUSCIOUS ICE CREAM

Makes ~ 3 1/2 cups

4 lg. egg yolks
1 cup sugar, divided
2 tsp. finely grated lemon zest
6 T. freshly squeezed lemon juice
4 T. unsalted butter, softened
pinch of salt
1 1/2 c heavy cream
1/2 c milk
4 tsp. vodka, optional (yes, I used... )
1/2 tsp. Cobasan, optional

Have ready near the range a strainer suspended over a medium bowl.

In a heavy nonreactive saucepan, w/a wooden spoon, beat the yolks & 3/4 c. of the sugar till well blended. Stir in the lemon zest, juice, butter, & salt.

Cook over medium-low heat, stirring constantly, till the mixture is thickened & resembles hollandaise sauce; it should thickly coat the wooden spoon but still be liquid enuf to pour.

The mixture willl change from translucent to opaque & begin to take on a yellow color on the back of the spoon. (196°) The mixture must not be allowed to boil or it will curdle. Whenever steam appears, remove the pan briefly from the heat, stirring constantly to keep the mixture from boiling.

When the mixture has thickened, pour it at once into the strainer.
Press w/the back of a spoon till only a coarse residue remains. Discard the residue.

In a med. bowl, combine the cream & milk. Whisk in the remaining sugar till dissolved. Whisk this mixture into the curd. Cover tightly & refrigerate it for at least 1 hour or till well chilled.

Stir in the opt. vodka & Cobasan. Freeze in an ice cream maker. Allow the ice cream to ripen for at least 2 hours before serving. If it has been held longer and is very hard, allow it to sit refrigerated or at room temp. till softened and creamy.

--------

and since coffee was discussed also, here's another favorite.

ESPRESSO GELATO
Serving Size : 10 (yeah, right )

1 c whole milk, well chilled
3/4 c granulated sugar
2 -3 T Instant Espresso or coffee to taste
2 c heavy cream, well chilled
1 tsp pure vanilla

In a medium bowl, use a hand mixer or a whisk to combine the milk, sugar, & espresso till the sugar & espresso are dissolved, ~ 1-2 min. on low speed.
Stir in the cream & vanilla.

Turn the ice cream machine ON, pour the mixture into machine, let mix till thickened, ~25-30 min.
Serve Soft

Yield:
"1 qt +"
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Lemon Luscious Ice Cream by cjs (This is a wonderful ...)
NOW I MUST get another ice cream maker-----these sound wonderful, Jean.

What is Cobassan?
"Never eat more than you can lift" Miss Piggy
  Re: Re: Lemon Luscious Ice Cream by Roxanne 21 (NOW I MUST get anoth...)
Quote:

What is Cobassan?

"Cobasan" is the formal, Japanese way to address your coba.

It's just a stabilising ingredient - somewhat like adding cream of tartar to whipped cream.

Oh, by the way, isn't the use of "lemon" and "luscious" in the same phrase redundant? LOL!
If blueberry muffins have blueberries in them, what do vegan muffins have?
  Re: Re: Lemon Luscious Ice Cream by labradors ([blockquote]Quote:[h...)
"lemon" and "luscious" in the same phrase redundant??" - yes, indeed, it is!
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Lemon Luscious Ice Cream by labradors ([blockquote]Quote:[h...)
Redundant? Not in this case - it does not EVEN describe this ice cream - Heavenly Lemon Luscious

Thank you Jean - I'd lost my print out! Hugs.
You only live once . . . but if you do it right once should be enough!
  Re: Re: Lemon Luscious Ice Cream by Harborwitch (Redundant? Not in t...)
you be welcome.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Lemon Luscious Ice Cream by cjs (you be welcome....)
Oh, I really have to make these......and I'm trying to be so good! Oh well, just a small portion.....
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."
  Re: Re: Lemon Luscious Ice Cream by Mare749 (Oh, I really have to...)
yeah right, Maryann... like I did with the Butter Pecan last week!
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Lemon Luscious Ice Cream by cjs (yeah right, Maryann....)
I've made this ice cream too...Heavenly, Luscious, and a few other descriptive terms fit this Rich, Heavenly, Lemon Luscious Ice Cream...it's positively sinful!
Don't wait too long to tell someone you love them.

Billy
  Re: Re: Lemon Luscious Ice Cream by bjcotton (I've made this ice c...)
Not sinful! Good grief! It's FRUIT, it's DAIRY! It's healthy, right? Someone please tell me I'm right. It's not, sniffle, sinful. . . . sob! It's good for the soul! A little glass of limoncello alongside it - now that's sinful.
You only live once . . . but if you do it right once should be enough!