chili from splendid soups
  Re: (...)
Has anyone tried this, or do you have a t&t recipe you would like to share? I love chili but the picky one is "picky" about his chili. I am on a quest to find one that we ALL like. The one in splendid soups sounds good but I would use ground chuck. TIA coco
  Re: chili from splendid soups by coco hernandez (Has anyone tried thi...)
Don't have the book, but love a good chili. As anyone I know from Texas would ask: it REAL chili, or does it have beans in it?
If blueberry muffins have blueberries in them, what do vegan muffins have?
  Re: chili from splendid soups by coco hernandez (Has anyone tried thi...)
I just went to look at that recipe----sounds really good and I may try as a comparison to my usual t&t.

Chili is a very individual dish---too many variations that we can make.

I will post our favorite once I have a moment to take a breath!! My recipe HAS to have beans---red kidney!

I would love to know your opinion though, if you make it, and what recipe do you usually use??? :question:
"Never eat more than you can lift" Miss Piggy
  Re: Re: chili from splendid soups by labradors (Don't have the book,...)
I guess that it is not "real" chili because it has beans. But to me, "real" chili has beans. I guess I am a so. ca. free spirit. LOL
  Re: Re: chili from splendid soups by coco hernandez (I guess that it is n...)
I want to make the C at H chili, but I will use ground chuck and I will not use the ground pork. Will just add more beef. I wonder if elemenating the pork will adversely change the taste. We are trying to cut down on using pork.
  Re: Re: chili from splendid soups by coco hernandez (I want to make the C...)
Some have said, "If you know beans about chili, you know chili ain't got no beans." LOL!

As to eliminating the pork (something that people have wanted Congress to do for decades): yes, it will change the taste, but it won't adversely change it. Quite frankly, chili is a very personal thing, and deciding what to include or exclude, and just how the flavour SHOULD be is entirely up to those who will be eating it. There is no specific, set formula for the choices of meats or spices.
If blueberry muffins have blueberries in them, what do vegan muffins have?
  Re: Re: chili from splendid soups by coco hernandez (I want to make the C...)
Try my chili--if you must have beans, serve them on the side.
http://recipes.egullet.org/recipes/r1462.html
"He who sups with the devil should have a. long spoon".
  Re: Re: chili from splendid soups by Old Bay (Try my chili--if you...)
You Texans and your chili!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! On the other hand, who should know better.

Thank you Bill. It sounds delish! Beans one the side huh?
  Re: Re: chili from splendid soups by coco hernandez (You Texans and your ...)
That's acceptable, even in Texas. Some scorn me because I use tomatoes, but I don't mind. Many down here sin with tomatoes--the Baptists would compare it with skipping church on Wednesday nite (but then I'm not Baptist either).
"He who sups with the devil should have a. long spoon".
  Re: Re: chili from splendid soups by Old Bay (That's acceptable, e...)
Here's one from "The Marlboro Country Cookbook". I haven't tried it, but it sounds good. If you don't have a copy of that cookbook I recommend you see if you can find one. Lots of good recipes.

* Exported from MasterCook *

Lonesome Man Chili

Recipe By :
Serving Size : 8 Preparation Time :0:00
Categories : A List Beef-Veal

Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
-------- ------------ --------------------------------
4 pounds round steak
1/2 cup all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon cracked black pepper
5 tablespoons olive oil -- divided
40 cloves garlic -- peeled
1 cup beef broth
1/2 cup whiskey
6 small dried red chili peppers (6 to 10)

Trim steak and cut into large chunks, about 1 1/2 inches square. Combine flour, salt and pepper; roll beef in mixture. Heat 4 Tbs oil in a deep, heavy skillet; brown meat on all sides. Remove meat from skillet.

Reduce heat and add 1 Tbs oil and garlic; cook until garlic is golden. Add broth, whiskey and chili peppers to garlic. Put browned meat on top of garlic; cover and cook slowly until beef is tender; about 1 hour.

Source:
"The Marlboro Country Cookbook"
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Don't wait too long to tell someone you love them.

Billy