Help cooking pork loin
  Re: (...)

I need help cooking a pork loin. I am cooking the roasted pork loin recipe from the October 2006 issue, but I didn't get the bone-in-loin like the recipe calls for, instead I bought a 1 1/2 lb pork loin. How long should I cook it compared to the bone-in-loin ( 4-7 lbs. for 1 1/2 to 1 3/4 hours depending on the size)? I know I could easily overcook this meat if I cook it too long. Any suggestions how long I should cook it after searing the sides of the pork?

Thanks. javascript:void(0)
  Re: Help cooking pork loin by rkujan ([br]I need help cook...)
I have a bottle of Molly Doogle Syrah from Australia (don't know vintage); does everyone agree this will go with the pork loin with molasses and red raspberry jam glaze. (I am using red raspberry jam instead of red currant jam.)
  Re: Help cooking pork loin by rkujan ([br]I need help cook...)
At 1-1/2 lbs I'll bet you have a tenderloin--it cooks entirely different.
"He who sups with the devil should have a. long spoon".
  Re: Re: Help cooking pork loin by Old Bay (At 1-1/2 lbs I'll be...)
Yes, you're right. So, are we talking 20 minutes? You have to understand where I'm coming from; I have been a vegetarian for 15 years, so this is all new to me. My family has started eating meat once a week for the last 2 months.

I have modified the meat recipes in Cuisine for years with much success, but now with cooking meat it's all very new to us.

How do you suggest cooking the tenderloin? It is much thinner than the loin cut, about half the size.
  Re: Re: Help cooking pork loin by rkujan (Yes, you're right. ...)
First off, just getting back to cooking meats, I recommend you buy a meat temperature probe and use this until you get the 'feel' for length and looks of meats when done to your liking.

Using the tenderloin for the recipe with molasses glaze, I would follow the directions for browning the pork and removing; add the veggies to the pan and roast just the veggies for about 15-20 minutes, then add the tenderloin cook for just a few, maybe 10 min. to a temperature of 140 - 145 F. Let rest as directed.

Ooops, I would just start the pork with the glaze brushed on and brush more on maybe every 5 min. this may add a couple more minutes to total roasting because of the time out of the oven for the meat and the loss of heat.

Also, I would advise when using boneless pork (and chicken) always brine the meat/poultry first to ensure a tender & moist result. Let me know if you need any info on brining.

P.S. Your Syrah should be very good with this dish!!
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
How are you cooking it?

Grilling, roasting etc? Also has it been marinated in anything with vinegar or citrus? And if so how long?
You are very fortunate to have instructions from Jean--I always do what she says. All kidding aside take her advice. She is the treasure of this thread.
"He who sups with the devil should have a. long spoon".
  Re: Re: Help cooking pork loin by Old Bay (You are very fortuna...)
What a nice thing to say, Bill - thank you.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Help cooking pork loin by cjs (What a nice thing to...)
What a very choice re-introduction to the world of meat. We just usually sear it on all sides and it is pretty much done, but you may have larger ones than we get.