Pork Chops W/Zesty Sauce - J. Pepin
  Re: (...)
This is a wonderful dinner party entree - fast, easy and oh so tasty. We had garlic mashed potatoes with it and a Syrah is a great wine to serve with it.

Pork Chops with Zesty Sauce - J. Pepin
serves 4

Zesty sauce:
1 cup water
3 tablespoons chili sauce
1 teaspoon Tabasco sauce
2 teaspoons soy sauce
1 teaspoon AI steak sauce
Pork chops:
4 lean boneless pork loin chops (each about 8 ounces and about 1 inch thick)
1 tablespoon unsalted butter
1 tablespoon good olive oil
3/4 teaspoon salt
3/4 teaspoon freshly ground
black pepper
1/4 cup red wine vinegar
1/2 cup chopped onion
1/3 cup minced scallions
2 teaspoons chopped garlic
1 cup diced (1-inch) tomato
1/4 cup pitted Kalamata olives

For the sauce: Mix the ingredients in a small bowl. For the pork chops: Trim the pork chops of any fat. Heat the oven to 180 degrees.

Heat the butter with the olive oil in a heavy skillet over high heat until hot.
Sprinkle the meat with the salt and pepper and add to the skillet.
Cook for about 4 minutes on each side, or until nicely browned.
Arrange the meat on an ovenproof platter and keep it warm in the oven.

Add the vinegar to the drippings in the skillet and cook over high heat for about 1 minute to reduce and mellow the vinegar.
Add the onion, scallions, garlic, and tomato and cook for about 2 minutes over high heat.
Add the sauce and boil for 1 1/2 to 2 minutes over high heat.
Stir in the olives and any juices the meat has rendered and bring back to a boil. Coat the chops with the sauce and serve immediately.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Pork Chops W/Zesty Sauce - J. Pepin by cjs (This is a wonderful ...)
What kind/brand of chili sauce do you use Jean? This sounds pretty tasty.
Don't wait too long to tell someone you love them.

Billy
  Re: Pork Chops W/Zesty Sauce - J. Pepin by cjs (This is a wonderful ...)
Sounds tasty... and a good possibility for my book club dinner event later in October. For that I try to make something that doesn't require me to be in the kitchen too much so that I miss out on the conversation.

Could you add the sauce to the chops and hold in the oven? For how long?
  Re: Re: Pork Chops W/Zesty Sauce - J. Pepin by HomeCulinarian (Sounds tasty... and ...)
Billy, I just used Heinz chili sauce.

H.C., I think if you browned the chops and kept them in a warm oven and complete the recipe (as I would say) at service (with mise en place) - you'd be in and out of the kitchen in about 6 minute.

This would be a perfect choice for a dinner such as yours.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Pork Chops W/Zesty Sauce - J. Pepin by cjs (Billy, I just used H...)
Thanx! I'll test the recipe in next few weeks then decide whether to make it for the book club.
  Re: Re: Pork Chops W/Zesty Sauce - J. Pepin by HomeCulinarian (Thanx! I'll test th...)
I thought that was the pork chop recipe you talked about. I love that book!!!!
Practice safe lunch. Use a condiment.
  Re: Re: Pork Chops W/Zesty Sauce - J. Pepin by Lorraine (I thought that was t...)
Have you made that one, Lorraine? (I love that book also.)
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Pork Chops W/Zesty Sauce - J. Pepin by cjs (Have you made that o...)
I've made it a few times and love it. That's one book that never seems to make it back onto the shelf, but has a permanent place on the counter.
  Re: Re: Pork Chops W/Zesty Sauce - J. Pepin by Lorraine (I've made it a few t...)
Geez Lolly dear, you never say that about books I've sent you
Don't wait too long to tell someone you love them.

Billy
  Re: Re: Pork Chops W/Zesty Sauce - J. Pepin by bjcotton (Geez Lolly dear, you...)
Have too!! Can we say "Marlboro", It's another one that never gets put away, because Gil keeps telling me what he's making from it. I think he's made 1/3 of the recipes from it, and I have to try what he's made. Or, we do it in reverse.I make it, and tell him how good it is!!!