Company's Gone, but Did We Eat!
  Re: (...)
I'm going to have to walk the treadmill double time for the next month!!! But, we sure enjoyed ourselves with some old friends from California. We all talked about coffee cakes a while back and I can't remember the last time I made one...probably about the same time as a Sausage Strata breakfast dish, remember those??

I found this one on my MasterCook and had it yesterday and we were all fighting over the crumbs - it's really nice.

Sour Cream Coffeecake

Filling:
1 1/2 tablespoons All-purpose flour
1 tablespoon Cinnamon -- ground
6 ounces Brown sugar
4 ounces Pecans -- chopped
1 ounce Unsalted butter -- melted
Cake:
4 ounces Unsalted butter
8 ounces Granulated sugar
2 Eggs
8 ounces Sour cream
7 ounces Cake flour -- sifted
1/4 teaspoon Salt
1 teaspoon Baking powder
1 teaspoon Baking soda
1 teaspoon Vanilla extract

To make the filling, blend all the filling ingredients together in a small bowl. Set aside.

To make the cake batter, cream the butter and sugar. Add the eggs one at a time, beating well after each addition. Add the sour cream. Stir until smooth.

Sift the sifted flour, salt, baking powder and baking soda together twice. Stir into the batter. Stir in the vanilla extract.

Spoon half of the batter into a greased tube pan. Top with half of the filling. Cover the filling with the remaining batter and top with the remaining filling. Bake at 350°F (180°C) for approximately 35 minutes. (Note: I had to cook it almost 50 minutes. But, I have a rinky-dink oven here)

Yield:
"1 Cake"
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Company's Gone, but Did We Eat! by cjs (I'm going to have to...)
That's real close to the one my mom always made for holidays. It's a nice moist cake and freezes well too, although we don't usually have any left over to freeze.

I haven't made a sausage strata in ages, but I have a SIL who just loves it. I'll have to make one soon. Somebody gave me a recipe for a lower fat version, but I've never tried it yet. I made a spinach quiche the other day in an attempt to eat healthier. The family sure didn't like it as much as quiche lorraine!

Maryann
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."
  Re: Re: Company's Gone, but Did We Eat! by Mare749 (That's real close to...)
SPINACH QUICHE??????? Pray, do tell us humble servants your recipe-------LOVE QUICHES!!! trying to lower the egg counts per week though----maybe cheat a little now that My better half needs to put on a few pounds (never thought I would say that--- )
"Never eat more than you can lift" Miss Piggy
  Re: Re: Company's Gone, but Did We Eat! by Roxanne 21 (SPINACH QUICHE??????...)
Sounds delish, thank you Jean. I have heard the sausage strata mentioned before. But I don't know what it is. Maybe sausage strips or coins, with mushrooms, tomato, bacon? Eggs? Obviously I have never made it. How is it done?
  Re: Re: Company's Gone, but Did We Eat! by vannin (Sounds delish, thank...)
This is a common strata -

* Exported from MasterCook *

SAUSAGE STRATA

6 slice bread -- trimmed
1 lb bulk sausage
1 tsp prepared mustard
1 cup cheddar cheese -- shredded, 4 oz.
3 large eggs -- slightly beaten
1 1/4 cups milk
3/4 cup half-and-half
1/2 tsp salt
1 dash pepper
1 tsp Worcestershire sauce
1 Dash nutmeg

Spray a 9X13" casserole with cooking spray.
Make a single layer with the bread in the dish, cutting pieces to fit.

Brown the sausage in a skillet; pour off any accumulated fat. Add the mustard and combine with the sausage and pour over bread.

Sprinkle the cheese over the top. Combine the eggs, milk, half-and-half, salt & pepper, Worcestershire sauce and nutmeg and pour over the sausage and cheese layers.

Let stand several hours or overnight, covered in the refrigerator. Bring to room temperature for 1/2 hour.

Bake at 350° for 30-35 minutes, the top will have browned nicely.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
Roxanne, here is the one I made earlier this week. I thought it was really good. Ron ate it and said it was okay, but he really likes the one with bacon much better.

Impossible Crustless Spinach Quiche

Recipe By :
Serving Size : 0 Preparation Time :0:00
Categories :

Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
-------- ------------ --------------------------------
1 Onion -- large/chopped
1 tb Vegetable oil
1 Frozen chopped spinach -- *
5 Eggs -- beaten
3 c Muenster cheese -- shredded;**
1/4 t Salt
1/8 t Pepper

* (10-ounce package)/chopped spinach/thawed/pressed dry ** (12-ounces) Muenster cheese
Saute onion in oil in a large skillet until tender. Add spinach, and cook until excess moisture evaporates; cool.
Combine eggs, cheese, salt and pepper; stir into spinach mixture. Pour into a greased 9-inch pie plate.
Bake at 350^ for 30 minutes or until set. YIELD: One 9-inch Quiche.

Source: chef2chef recipe archives

Maryann
Maryann

Here's another one that I have not tried yet......but plan to.....we really need to start eating lower fat here. I'll let you know when I make this, if you want to wait for a review.

Crab Quiche Florentine

Recipe By :
Serving Size : 6 Preparation Time :0:00
Categories : Dec '96 Main Dish

Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
-------- ------------ --------------------------------
Cooking spray
3/4 cup (3 ounces) grated Gruyère cheese
8 ounces lump crabmeat -- shell pieces removed and drained
1/2 cup chopped onion
4 cups coarsely chopped spinach
1/8 teaspoon dried tarragon
1/8 teaspoon Old Bay seasoning
1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1/8 teaspoon pepper
1 cup evaporated skim milk
1/2 cup egg substitute
Cherry tomatoes -- quartered (optional)
1 (7-ounce) can refrigerated breadstick dough

Unroll dough, separating into strips. Working on a flat surface, coil one strip of dough around itself in a spiral pattern. Add second strip of dough to the end of the first strip, pinching ends together to seal; continue coiling dough. Repeat procedure with remaining dough strips. Cover dough with a towel; let rest 20 minutes. Roll dough into a 13-inch circle; fit into a 9-inch pie plate coated with cooking spray. Fold edges under; flute. Sprinkle cheese over bottom of crust. Top with crabmeat; set aside.

Preheat oven to 375º.

Coat a large nonstick skillet with cooking spray; place over medium-high heat. Add onion; sauté 4 minutes. Add spinach and next 4 ingredients (spinach through pepper); cook 2 minutes or until spinach wilts. Arrange spinach mixture over crabmeat.

Combine milk and egg substitute; stir well with a whisk. Pour over spinach mixture. Bake at 375º for 45 minutes or until a knife inserted in center comes out clean; let stand 10 minutes. Garnish with cherry tomatoes, if desired.

Source:
"Cooking Light, December 1996, p.101"
Copyright:
"© Cooking Light"
T(Baking Time):
"0:45"

Per Serving (excluding unknown items): 257 Calories; 9g Fat (33.1% calories from fat); 20g Protein; 23g Carbohydrate; 1g Dietary Fiber; 46mg Cholesterol; 508mg Sodium. Exchanges: 1 Grain(Starch); 2 Lean Meat; 1/2 Vegetable; 1/2 Non-Fat Milk; 1 Fat.

Suggested Wine: Sauvignon Blanc

NOTES : Place the pie plate on a baking sheet in case the filling bubbles over.

Ham-and-Cheese Quiche:
Substitute Swiss cheese for Gruyère cheese and 3/4 cup chopped reduced-fat, low-salt ham (about 1/4 pound) for crabmeat. Omit spinach, tarragon, Old Bay seasoning, and nutmeg; add 1/8 teaspoon salt. Cook ham, onion, salt, and pepper 4 minutes in a skillet coated with cooking spray. Proceed with directions above.
Maryann

Re: Re: Company's Gone, but Did We Eat! by Mare749 (Roxanne, here is the...)
Yummmm and double YUMMM!!! These look very healthy---right where we (he) needs to be!!! Both copied and printed---Thanks, Maryann!!

Popeye and spinach=IRON!!!!
"Never eat more than you can lift" Miss Piggy
  Re: Re: Company's Gone, but Did We Eat! by Roxanne 21 (Yummmm and double YU...)
" IRON!!!!" Yup!!!

Thanks for the strata recipe. I like these as they can be made the night before. Great when you have company.
Practice safe lunch. Use a condiment.
  Re: Re: Company's Gone, but Did We Eat! by Lorraine (" IRON!!!!" Yup!!![...)
Friend 'anon' was looking at this thread and I'M SOOO GLAD they were - I thought I had saved "Crab Quiche Florentine" that Maryann posted and I hadn't!! It sounded so good, now it is safely ensconced in M.C.

Oh, this would be a fun way to start out Superbowl Sunday....
www.achefsjourney.com