Peanut Butter & Jelly cookies @ "playtime"
  Re: (...)
I have been playing! I wanted to make some rye bread for Bob, but couldn't find any rye flour locally so I got online and placed an order at King Arthur Flour. I got so many goodies and fun things; rye and pumpernickle flours, cracked wheat, a grain and seed mixture to add to breads, and whole wheat pastry flour.

The whole wheat pastry flour has been my "playmate"! I found this on Epicurious and just had to make them but subbed the whole wheat pastry flour. WOW! Very easy to make, but next time I will double the recipe - not nearly enough cookies. I think different jams or jellies would be good too.

Peanut Butter and Jelly cookies

Gourmet | April 1996

Servings: Makes about 30 cookies.

ingredients
3/4 cup King Arthur Whole wheat pastry flour
3/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/3 cup creamy peanut butter
1/2 stick (1/4 cup) unsalted butter, softened
1/3 cup firmly packed brown sugar
1 large egg
1/2 teaspoon vanilla
1/3 cup granulated sugar
3 tablespoons grape jelly
preparation
Preheat oven to 375°F.

In a bowl whisk together flour, salt, and baking soda. In another bowl whisk together peanut butter, butter, and brown sugar until smooth and whisk in egg and vanilla. Add flour mixture to peanut butter mixture, stirring until blended.

Roll pieces of dough into 1-inch balls and roll in granulated sugar. On a large baking sheet arrange balls 2 inches apart and bake in middle of oven 10 minutes. Working quickly, with the back of a 1/4-teaspoon measuring spoon make an indentation about 1/2 inch in diameter in center of each cookie. Fill each indentation with slightly heaping 1/4 teaspoon jelly and bake cookies 10 minutes more, or until golden. Transfer cookies to racks to cool.

Makes about 30 cookies.
You only live once . . . but if you do it right once should be enough!
  Re: Peanut Butter & Jelly cookies @ "playtime" by Harborwitch (I have been playing!...)
Those look soooo good and easy, Sharon!!!

Be very VERY careful when you log on to King Arthur's----I cannot quit with ordering all of the "little " goodies available----Don't cha just love it???
"Never eat more than you can lift" Miss Piggy
  Re: Re: Peanut Butter & Jelly cookies @ "playtime" by Roxanne 21 (Those look soooo goo...)
Oh yeah! A darn copper sailboat cookie cutter just jumped into my "basket"! LOL Even worse for me is KitchenKrafts.com!!! Jeeze I think I could bankrupt us there!
  Re: Re: Peanut Butter & Jelly cookies @ "playtime" by Harborwitch (Oh yeah! A darn cop...)
I try very, very hard to stay away from those websites....easy to get in trouble. the cookies sound fun AND good, Sharon! duly copied.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Peanut Butter & Jelly cookies @ "playtime" by Harborwitch (I have been playing!...)
" seed mixture to add to breads "

I tried that once in my bread making days. I put too much in, and it was like eating bird food!

The cookies sound great! I'm staying away from the websites also!
Practice safe lunch. Use a condiment.
  Re: Re: Peanut Butter & Jelly cookies @ "playtime" by Lorraine (" seed mixture to a...)
. . . and then there's Penzeys! Oh, WTH do I really need a freakin' pound of sesame seeds??????
  Re: Re: Peanut Butter & Jelly cookies @ "playtime" by Harborwitch (. . . and then there...)
Quote:

. . . and then there's Penzeys! Oh, WTH do I really need a freakin' pound of sesame seeds??????

Halvah. Tahini. Hummus (using the tahini).
If blueberry muffins have blueberries in them, what do vegan muffins have?
  Re: Re: Peanut Butter & Jelly cookies @ "playtime" by labradors ([blockquote]Quote:[h...)
Thank you! I knew there was a reason! Also mole, sesame crusted tuna, bread! Maybe I need 2 lbs.

OT just roasted and had some amazing Honduran coffee! Yum!!! I think it's my second favorite right now - alongside a monsooned Indian coffee that we had last week.
  Re: Re: Peanut Butter & Jelly cookies @ "playtime" by Harborwitch (Thank you! I knew t...)
I just received notice that my stainless steel baking beads (10 feet long) and my pie crust shields have been shipped from KA. I have a tendency to have things slip into my basket too...especially when I visit Penzeys store in Portland. I'll have to visit the KitchenKrafts Oh yeah, I got a Misto oil mister a couple of years ago for Xmas, love that thing...do you have one?
Don't wait too long to tell someone you love them.

Billy
  Re: Re: Peanut Butter & Jelly cookies @ "playtime" by bjcotton (I just received noti...)
You know, we used to have a cheapie knock-off thing a few years ago - it cr@pped out after a couple months and we just haven't replaced it - don't know why??????