issue 26 - steamed salmon with champagne sauce
  Re: (...)
Does anyone have this recipe that they could email or fax to me?
I lost this issue.
Thanks!
-Katherine
  Re: issue 26 - steamed salmon with champagne sauce by Katherine (Does anyone have thi...)
Welcome, Katherine. Can't help you with the recipe, but I sure would like to see the Champagen Sauce!!!
Practice safe lunch. Use a condiment.
  Re: Re: issue 26 - steamed salmon with champagne sauce by Lorraine (Welcome, Katherine. ...)
Mention salmon and look who comes running - Lorraine and Jean.... Welcome to the forums, Katherine.

Oven-Steamed Salmon
(Cuisine, April 2001, Issue 26, p. 20)

Makes: Four 4-oz. Servings Total Time: 2 Hours Rating: Easy

For the Oven-Steamed Salmon—
Cut into 4 oz. Fillets:
1 lb. fresh salmon, center cut, skin left on

Season with:
1/2 t. kosher salt
1/4 t. coarsely ground black pepper

Oven-Steam; Serve Salmon with:
Champagne-Butter Sauce

For the Champagne-Butter Sauce—
Saute in 1 T. Unsalted Butter:
2 T. shallot, minced

Add and Reduce:
1/4 cup dry champagne or dry white wine
2 T. low-sodium chicken broth
2 T. fresh lemon juice

Stir in:
2 T. heavy cream

Whisk in 1 T. at a Time:
1/2 cup (1 stick) cold unsalted butter

Strain Sauce; Stir in:
1 t. chopped fresh chives
Kosher salt to taste

Related Recipes:
Potato Pancakes
Champagne-Butter Sauce

Fill a pan with 1" of hot water, to oven-steam, place the pan in the oven before adding the water to avoid sloshing it on the floor. Preheat oven to 325°. Position cooling rack over a baking sheet; spray with nonstick spray. Prepare fillets by removing pin bones. Next slice crosswise into 4 portions. Leave the skin on. Place prepared fillets, skin side down, on the rack, 1/2" apart.

Season with salt and pepper. Place the rack on top of the pan in the oven.

Oven-steam salmon 15–18 minutes, or until desired doneness is reached. Prepare sauce while fish steams.

Saute shallots for Sauce in a small saucepan over medium heat, in 1 T. butter until soft (do not brown).

Add champagne, broth, and lemon juice; simmer until reduced by half, about 5 minutes. Reduce heat to medium-low.

Stir in heavy cream.

Whisk in cold butter by tablespoons, stirring constantly. Do not add more until the previous piece has melted completely.

Strain the sauce through a fine mesh strainer. Stir in the chopped chives and salt to taste. Serve immediately, or remove from heat and hold in a warm water bath. Test fillets for doneness, gently squeeze the sides—they should spring back, not feel too soft or firm. And the color should be deep coral, not opaque. Serve Oven-Steamed Salmon with Champagne-Butter Sauce. Shown here with Potato Pancakes.

Nutrition Information (Per serving with 3 T. sauce):
534 calories 74% calories from fat 44g total fat 2g carb. 544mg sodium
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: issue 26 - steamed salmon with champagne sauce by cjs (Mention salmon and l...)
THANK YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  Re: Re: issue 26 - steamed salmon with champagne sauce by cjs (Mention salmon and l...)
Oh jeez does that sound good!! Thanks, Jean.

"place the pan in the oven before adding the water to avoid sloshing it on the floor. "

How well they know me!!
Practice safe lunch. Use a condiment.
  Re: Re: issue 26 - steamed salmon with champagne sauce by Katherine (THANK YOU!!!!!!!!!!!...)
WELCOME, Katherine.....that is a REALLY nice recipe, one of my go tos ---SALMON??? OH YEAH!!!!!!!

Hope you visit often--
"Never eat more than you can lift" Miss Piggy