This is one of the largest
  Re: (...)
wedding cakes I've ever made in the near 30 years of making wedding cakes! Tho hard to discern, the base cake was 22 inches across the top ....adding the Italian buttercream and "crown" piping, it was a smidg under 26 inches when done. The swans, filigrees and bridges were all sugar art. It's hard to see, but it was quite "sparkley" with all the sugar work. The couple chose a white chocolate raspberry cake with a red raspberry filling spirited with Chambord. The sides were chocolate hazelnut with a hazelnut mouse and dacquoise separating those layers. It was a huge wedding. There were over 800 people in attendance of this wedding. . . . .

[Image: WEDDINGTIERS.jpg]

And from there, it was "back to earth" with this much smaller double layer chocolate and white cake, where around 30 people were expected. . . . . .

[Image: BIGBIRDBLOCKS.jpg]

And THAT is what I did last week!!!
Vive Bene! Spesso L'Amore! Di Risata Molto!

Buon Appetito!

Linda
  Re: This is one of the largest by MUSICMAKER (wedding cakes I've e...)
Very nice work, Linda! I can only imagine how many hours went into that wedding cake! Did you have to transport and set up the cake as well?

Maryann
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."
  Re: Re: This is one of the largest by Mare749 (Very nice work, Lind...)
Wow, that is awesome. Both cakes are beautiful. Another of my culinary dreams is to learn to make cakes. That is, after I learn the basic stuff!
  Re: This is one of the largest by MUSICMAKER (wedding cakes I've e...)
Lovely, simply lovely...
"Time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time."
Laura
  Re: Re: This is one of the largest by luvnit (Lovely, simply lovel...)
See? SEE? Pastry Chefs are different!!!! You have to be weird to have that much talent! (kidding!! ) Wonderful cakes, Linda - just gorgeous!
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: This is one of the largest by Mare749 (Very nice work, Lind...)
Thank you for all the compliments, ladies.

Yes, Maryann, it's all part of the package -- delivery and set up...and with my knee in a brace and on crutches from that nasty fall, well. . .just have to say thank God #2 was here to help transport!

Hours? Far too many hours! Usually do keep track for future orders, but a cake this size are few and far between. Knowing it was going to be a huge endeavor, set aside that entire week for nothing but this. Started weeks ago on the sugar work because that must sit, untouched, for quite some time to dry. And even then, you always make more than what you need in case of breakage. Would do it all again in a heartbeat, tho!!!
Vive Bene! Spesso L'Amore! Di Risata Molto!

Buon Appetito!

Linda
  Re: Re: This is one of the largest by MUSICMAKER (Thank you for all th...)
OMG, that's gorgeous!!! You don't happen to live in Virginia, do you?
Practice safe lunch. Use a condiment.
  Re: Re: This is one of the largest by MUSICMAKER (Thank you for all th...)
WOW!!! Absolutely stunning! That is incredible! You are very talented.
You only live once . . . but if you do it right once should be enough!
  Re: Re: This is one of the largest by Harborwitch (WOW!!! Absolutely s...)
Wow Linda! I'll stick with my basic banana/carrot/chocolate cakes thank you very much I wouldn't have the patience for something like that.
Don't wait too long to tell someone you love them.

Billy
  Re: Re: This is one of the largest by bjcotton (Wow Linda! I'll sti...)
Billy please tell me that those are three different cakes - not one cake!
You only live once . . . but if you do it right once should be enough!