Christmas Cookbook List!!
  Re: (...)
Lorraine just mentioned a Christmas book for Gil - and I realized how close Christmas is!!! So, how about we start a Christmas list and we can just add to it until it's just to darn late to order another one....

Shall we list our favorite five cookbooks we've gotten in '07 (or before, and maybe just started cooking from it )

I'm going to go think on this - and be back!

O.K., here's my contribution - these are just the favorite go to books I've used this year the most. Nigella's is a late entry...

1. Joie Warner's No-Cook Pasta Sauces
2. Laurel Glen (I think it's a place, not an author - doesn't seem to be one author or one person who compiled) Bowl Food
3. Martin Yan's Quick & Easy
4. Jacques Pepin's Fast Food My Way
5. Nigella Lawson's Feast
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Christmas Cookbook List!! by cjs (Lorraine just mentio...)
Geez Jean, sure you don't want something like, "Betty Crocker Does Dallas?" Maybe we could get it on video...
Don't wait too long to tell someone you love them.

Billy
  Re: Christmas Cookbook List!! by cjs (Lorraine just mentio...)
This was not easy!

Here are my five choices – and NOT in preferential order:

1. Fiamma by Michael White -- what’s cooking in Italy today
2. Vegetables by James Patterson – just what it is!
3. Antipasti by Joyce Goldstein – antipasti and wine
4. Morning Food by Margaret Fox – breakfasts, brunches and more
5. How to Break an Egg by various – NOT a cook book but a “cooks” book. Has nearly 1,500 entries for food fixes, emergency substitutions, kitchen tips, techniques, and more. Something for everyone. Things like placing citrus rinds in garbage disposals to clean and refresh to how to carve a rack of lamb to deboning a whole chicken. Great book! I highly recommend this for anyone who enters a kitchen if only for ice from your freezer; (and there are tips for that, too!)
Vive Bene! Spesso L'Amore! Di Risata Molto!

Buon Appetito!

Linda
  Re: Re: Christmas Cookbook List!! by MUSICMAKER (This was not easy![b...)
Can't speak for '07, since my collection is relatively static at the moment, but the following come to mind (no particular order)
  • The Frugal Gourmet on Our Immigrant Ancestors by Jeff Smith - One of the most-used books by me and my parents, since we like to cook food from all kinds of international cuisine, and this book has a very wide variety of recipes, ordered by country.
  • Cookwise by Shirley O. Corriher - Great book for understanding how certain things work (e.g. why a cake recipe from a Southern cookbook may turn out dry if you try it in the North, with Northern flour - it's because flour made from wheat grown in colder climates has higher protein content and absorbs more moisture, so you need to use a little less flour or a little more liquid ingredients).
  • The Simple Art of Perfect Baking by Flo Braker - This was highly recommended to me by the pastry chef at the restaurant where I worked.
  • The Encyclopedia of Herbs and Spices published by Hermes House - A gigantic tome with lots of information about herbs and spices, as well as some interesting recipes (I'll post one of the recipes at the end of this message).
  • Sauces and Salsas by Christine France - Lots of great sauce and salsa ideas.
Also, on my Christmas wish-list (not sure what year it will be) is Culinary Artistry by Andrew Dornenburg which, among other things, has been recommended as a good source for information about combining different spices, flavours, etc. Well, those are all that come to mind right now, but let's get to the recipe I mentioned...

Chicken Drumsticks in a Honey and Coriander Crust

Ingredients:
  • 8 Chicken drumsticks
  • 3/4 Cup Butter
  • 2 Tbsp Sunflower oil
  • 5 Tbsp Clear Honey
  • 1 Tbsp Dijon Mustard
  • 1 Tsp Roughly crushed coriander seeds
  • 1 Tsp Freshly ground black pepper
  • 4 Cups Breadcrumbs (really seems like too much, to me - use less, and add more, if needed, so you don't contaminate a bunch of breadcrumbs with raw chicken unnecessarily)
  • Coriander sprigs (cilantro) to garnish

Instructions:
  1. Preheat the broiler and broil the chicken for 6 minutes, turning several times. Place the butter, oil and honey in a small pan and warm until all three ingredients are combined.
  2. Preheat the oven to 350F. Add the mustard, coriander and pepper to the mixture. Stir well and brush on to the chicken. Roll the drumsticks in the breadcrumbs.
  3. Bake in the oven for 20-25 minutes until fully cooked through. When cooked, the juices should run clear. Serve garnished with a sprig of coriander.
If blueberry muffins have blueberries in them, what do vegan muffins have?
  Re: Re: Christmas Cookbook List!! by labradors (Can't speak for '07,...)
Hot, Sour, Salty, Sweet - incredible Thai cookbook
Anything by Rick Bayless!!!!
Smoke & Spice
Culinary Artistry - a must have
any of the "Beautiful Cookbooks"
Morgan Freeman & Friends - Caribbean Cooking for a Cause
Hallejujah! The Welcome Table - Maya Angelou

Those are my go to's or books that I just love to sit and read. I have Maya Angelou's book and the cd - love to listen to her.

My list for this year - "Morimoto" tops my list. What a beautiful cookbook!
You only live once . . . but if you do it right once should be enough!
  Re: Re: Christmas Cookbook List!! by Harborwitch (Hot, Sour, Salty, Sw...)
You already have "The Welcome Table"? I've got that one too. She's also one of my favorite authors.

Billy
  Re: Re: Christmas Cookbook List!! by bjcotton (You already have "Th...)
I love her! The Caramel cake in that book is absolutely to die for!
You only live once . . . but if you do it right once should be enough!
  Re: Re: Christmas Cookbook List!! by Harborwitch (I love her! The Car...)
I'll have to try it. I loved her books too!

Billy
  Re: Re: Christmas Cookbook List!! by bjcotton (I'll have to try it....)
My current faves:

The Bread Bible by Beth Hensperger (was given this as a gift and LOVE it!!)
Cookies by the Dozen by Dolores Kostelni (really good cookie recipes scaled down to make one tray (ish!) of cookies)
Jan Karon's Mitford Cookbook (this means nothing to you unless you've read Karon's Mitford novels!)
Wine, Food, and Friends by Karen MacNeil
-jenni

"One cannot think well, love well, sleep well, if one has not dined well." Virginia Woolf
  Re: Re: Christmas Cookbook List!! by jenni (My current faves:[br...)
My Wish List -

The Sauce Bible: Guide to the Saucier's Craft - by David Paul Larousse

Morimoto: The New Art of Japanese Cooking

Working the Plate: The Art of Food Presentation - by Christopher Styler

My newest addition that I just love are -

The Bread Baker's Apprentice: Mastering the Art of Extraordinary Bread by Peter Reinhart and Ron Manville