Egg Membrane Removal - Recipe
  Re: (...)
This recipe calls for the removal of the yolk membrane. Sounds like an interesting recipe, looks beautiful, but a lot of work.

[Image: DSC_0431.jpg]
Soft Boiled Egg with Watercress Crème Fraiche, Foie Gras Croutons, and American Caviar

Chef Patrick Connolly of Radius – Boston, MA
Adapted by StarChefs.com
December 2006

Yield: 4 Servings

Ingredients:

Soft Boiled Eggs:
4 extra-large eggs, and their portion of the carton
4 ounces white vinegar

Foie Gras Croutons:
3 Tablespoons foie gras fat, rendered and clarified
2 ¼-inch slices brioche, crusts removed, ¼-inch dice

Watercress Crème Fraiche:
¼ cup crème fraiche
2 Tablespoons watercress leaves, chopped

To Assemble and Serve:
Salt and pepper
1 ounce American caviar
4 chive points

Method:

For the Soft Boiled Eggs:
Remove the top of each egg with an egg topper, and separate the yolk from the white. Reserve the yolks and cover with plastic; discard the whites. Fill each empty egg shell with white vinegar and allow to sit for 1 hour, loosening the membrane for easy removal. Remove the membrane and gently rinse the shell out with warm water. Place the yolks back into their shells, cover with plastic wrap and allow to temper at room temperature.

For the Foie Gras Croutons:
Melt the foie gras fat in a pan and add the brioche cubes. Cook on medium heat until all sides are golden brown. Turn entire contents of the pan onto several sheets of paper towel, draining the excess fat.

For the Watercress Crème Fraiche:
In a large mixing bowl, rapidly whisk the crème fraiche to soft peaks, and season with salt and pepper. Fold in the watercress and refrigerate.

To Assemble and Serve:
Bring 2 ½ inches of water to 160ºF in a sauce pan with 4-inch sides.
Place the eggs in their carton and into the poaching water, seasoning the yolks with a pinch of salt and pepper. Allow them to poach for 3 minutes or until the yolk begins to coagulate. Remove the eggs and transfer to an egg plate, then distribute an even layer of foie gras croutons, on top of the yolks. Spoon the watercress crème fraiche into the shell up to 1/8-inch from the rim. Top with the caviar and a chive point.

If you want to go to the website, here is the link:

http://www.starchefs.com/features/new_ye...olly.shtml
"Time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time."
Laura
  Re: Egg Membrane Removal - Recipe by luvnit (This recipe calls fo...)
This recipe is one that I'd be happy to eat, but I wouldn't try to make it! Too expensive and too fussy. Besides, I'd have to go out and get some egg plates!
  Re: Re: Egg Membrane Removal - Recipe by HomeCulinarian (This recipe is one t...)
I know, it looks just lovely and I would love to try it. But, very putzy. You really would have to work in a restaurant to pull that one off. Besides, I never have leftover brioche to make my croutons.
Laura
  Re: Re: Egg Membrane Removal - Recipe by luvnit (I know, it looks jus...)
This one calls for the removal of the membrane from the shell, but not (as I understood the other post) from the yolk itself. This method is quite easy - from the shell.

If you take each step, this is really an easy recipe - the ingredients are a little pricey, but oh my, what a fun dish to do.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Egg Membrane Removal - Recipe by cjs (This one calls for t...)
I will have to take your word for it Jean. This dish looks gorgeous and I would love to eat it.

But wow, I just look at the steps again and thought, "A lot of work for a little egg."
Laura