Once Upon a Time....
  Re: (...)
....there were four single folks working for a humongous company in San Jose - this would be 1968 - two guys and two gals. After a few (too short!) months couple #1 got married and a couple years later, the other couple followed. Roy & Jean and Bill & Cathy have been friends ever since - thru all the trials and tribulations of raising kids (Roy - four, Jean - four, Cathy - four, Bill - three) and not having a pot to pee in for years, but just tons of fun.

The four of us did everything together from camping, to running home after work, collecting kids and food and going to the park for hot dogs and baseball playing to after all the kids were gone the four of us rented a houseboat once a year for thirteen years.

Sadly, we've reached that darn time in life when we are beginning to lose our loving friends and Bill died of cancer last week. We are on the road now to go spend a few days with Cathy - this is the second worst trip we've ever had to make (our first experience with this was four years ago) and I know it's only going to get worse as we lose more and more of our friends.

There is nothing in the world more precious than the old friends that you have grown up with and gotten 'olderly' with, so everybody get together with these folks and hold them close to your hearts - tell them how much they mean to you while you have the chance.

take care all.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Once Upon a Time.... by cjs (....there were four ...)
I'm sorry you had to make that trip, Jean. But, how very well said! I've lost 3 very close friends in the last 1 1/2 years, never easy.

Sheesh, I just did the math....15 kids!!!
Practice safe lunch. Use a condiment.
  Re: Re: Once Upon a Time.... by Lorraine (I'm sorry you had to...)
What wonderful memories you have of your dear friend. May those sustain you during your visit with his wife. Thank you for the reminder to make time for our oldest and best friends. Be safe on your trip.

Maryann
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."
  Re: Re: Once Upon a Time.... by Mare749 (What wonderful memor...)
I'm sorry, Jean, that's so hard to go through. It is a definate wake up call. maybe that's the silver lining. Let your precious ones know how you feel and fully enjoy them for what they are while you have a chance.

Take care,

PJ
PJ
Jean I am so sorry about the loss of such a wonderful long time friend! It is truly difficult to start losing dear friends.

I have been trying very hard to get Jennifer to understand the lesson here - about making sure that those you love know that you love them, you don't usually get second chances to say those things and even if they're uncomfortable things to discuss it's better than being silent.

Bob and I are sending you and Roy both big hugs! Travel safely, and take good care.

Sharon & Bob
You only live once . . . but if you do it right once should be enough!
  Re: Re: Once Upon a Time.... by Harborwitch (Jean I am so sorry a...)
Jean, give Cathy a big hug for me and tell her she will remain in my prayers. I so enjoyed meeting them at your "house on the hill."
Don't wait too long to tell someone you love them.

Billy
Oh dear, not happy times for sure. Thank goodness you have such fond memories of your friends. I often think I should give so-and-so a call to chat... only to put it off to do other stuff. It's things like this that make me think twice about doing that. Be safe on your trip and so sorry about your friend.

Lori

P.S. I lived in San Jose in 1968. My dad worked for Crocker Bank.
Lori
http://www.RecipeGirl.com

"Everything tastes better with wine"
Hope everything is going as well as can be expected, considering the circumstances. I'm sure it is comforting for Cathy to have you there when she most needs you.

Sometimes, life just sucks.

PJ
PJ
  Re: Re: Once Upon a Time.... by pjcooks (Hope everything is g...)
Whew, we are now on our way home. Did a lot of laughing, crying, remember this, remember that - geez, really emotional.

We cut our visit short by a day, it was just overwhelming. Decided to come on back up north, stop and hug Tracie very tightly and on to home. We leave Tracie's this a.m. - will try for a quick stop with Billy, but we'll see...Billy, we're just, I don't know what. (we'll talk)
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Once Upon a Time.... by cjs (Whew, we are now on ...)
Take it easy, Jean, and have a safe trip home.

Maryann
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."