5 gallons of grape juice - whatever should I do???
  Re: (...)
We just got back from the vineyard with our juice. D@mn this would have been a great year to make wine!

Red: 86% Shiraz & 14% RubyRed
White 95% French Columbard and 5% Symphony

3 gallons of red and 2 of white. I know I am going to make some white grape jelly with thyme and some red grape jelly, and a syrup suggested on another forum - but there's still lots to play with - any ideas???? Sweet or savory????
You only live once . . . but if you do it right once should be enough!
  Re: 5 gallons of grape juice - whatever should I do??? by Harborwitch (We just got back fro...)
No clue! Grape Jelly...But have fun!
Erin
Mom to three wonderful 7th graders!
The time is flying by.
  Re: 5 gallons of grape juice - whatever should I do??? by Harborwitch (We just got back fro...)
Hey--add some fruit and sparkling water and make sangria!!! Summer is still here!! Add a little brandy. Have a tapas party!! I would love to come!!!
"He who sups with the devil should have a. long spoon".
  Re: Re: 5 gallons of grape juice - whatever should I do??? by Old Bay (Hey--add some fruit ...)
Why not make some wine?? Roy just started some more about a month ago.....

Don't think I mentioned this before, but last winter I had some leftover Welche's (sp?) white grape juice from a party that I had made 'Faux Champagne' - Roy made a white wine out of it and bottled it about a month ago. It is delicious and I can't believe it was just Welch's as his 'grape of choice'
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: 5 gallons of grape juice - whatever should I do??? by cjs (Why not make some wi...)
How much did you have left over??? Just a standard white wine recipe??? With the white blend of grapes this could make a fantastic white!
  Re: Re: 5 gallons of grape juice - whatever should I d by Harborwitch (How much did you hav...)
I think he brot the sugar content (brix) up to ~20-23?? He's making his daily deposit at the grocery store at the moment, but I'll have him write it up.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: 5 gallons of grape juice - whatever should I d by cjs (I think he brot the ...)
Thank you Jean! Bob would love that! We're looking at that jug and goin' "hmmmmmmmmm".

Off to get some bread going, and Giada's Lemon Ricotta cookies. Then on to the herb jelly. Then off to figure out what to do with 20 zestless lemons - and I already have tons of frozen lemon juice. Oh, and another batch of Lorraine's Habanero Gold. Yumm
  Re: Re: 5 gallons of grape juice - whatever should I d by Harborwitch (Thank you Jean! Bob...)
make a simple syrup as concentrated as you can make it; add to the juice to bring brix up to 23-24. Add 1/2 packet (2.5g) of (we use) Lalvin K1-V1116 wine yeast.

He let it work for ~3 mos. and then it just sat for another 7 or so months. It's very good.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: 5 gallons of grape juice - whatever should I d by cjs (make a simple syrup ...)
How much juice did you have??? We're going to have 1.5 gallons or so.
  Re: Re: 5 gallons of grape juice - whatever should I d by Harborwitch (How much juice did y...)
we had a gallon and after adding the 'goodies', he threw out what didn't fit in the jug.
www.achefsjourney.com