Engagement Party
  Re: (...)
Next Saturday, I'm throwing an engagement party for both my son and his wonderful fiancee, and my nephew and his equally wonderful fiancee. As it turns out, my 97 yr old grandmother is up from Florida, so it will be a happy reunion. Most surprising, Picky's Mom is actually coming. She has refused to have anything to do with me for the last 11 yrs (since Mike and I got together).

So I am a little anxious, just got my work schedule and there we go again, another 50 hour week I did insist on taking the day off, however. I'm in pretty good shape as far as prep, lists, lists, lists but I'm okay.

Menu: Remember, I'm cooking all the kids favorites since it's for them but I don't think it's too fractured for my audience~

Almost Caesar salad, no anchovies, Parm Pepper dressing

Shrimp cocktail

Lobster salad in phyllo cups

Meatballs (apricot preserves and ketchup, thank you [nsert name here]{'m sorry}for the recipe)

Fruit platter w/ strawberry cream cheese sauce and brandy hard sauce

Deli platter

Chix pie

Mac and cheese

Lorraine's Tortiere w/ chutneys from Maryann, Jean and Lorraine

Wild mushroom Ragu w/ herb buttered orzo

For dessert:

Apple slab pie from either CI or CC

Magic cookie bars

Toll house of course

Texas brownies

Angel food cake with coffee frosting

Whoopie pies

White chocolate mousse cake with a flaoting rasp filling from FC many years ago

My buffet table is already set up, if I just follow my lists, I'll be

Decided to hire someone to clean my house, smartest move yet!

PJ
PJ
  Re: Engagement Party by pjcooks (Next Saturday, I'm t...)
Good luck! Sounds like a lot of work, which, mixed with a lot of love, is a joyous occasion.
Wow! Hang in there and have fun. Don't over do it! You don't want to be so exhausted you can't enjoy the party! Take care of yourself too.

And the first step in that was hiring out the house cleaning - you go girl!

The menu sounds like a lot of fun!
Erin
Mom to three wonderful 7th graders!
The time is flying by.
Very nice, PJ! I think your menu is super and definately well thought out, keeping the kids favorites in mind. It sounds like a boatload of work though, especially since you already have a full-time job. I hope someone will be able to help you out with some of the food! The desserts maybe?

There is nothing wrong with recruiting a little help from friends. At least you will be too busy to be nervous about Picky's mom coming to visit. And since it's a party, you can easily avoid "heavy conversation" and keep it light and fun. Very smart move on your part to hire out the cleaning. Sure wish I lived closer and could come over and help you with the rest. Pace yourself and enjoy your kids.
And don't forget to take some pics!

Maryann
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."
  Re: Re: Engagement Party by Mare749 (Very nice, PJ! I th...)
yes, pictures!! Great thinking to get someone in to clean! What a week you will be having - wish we were all closer to come be your 'souses' (can't think what the plural of 'sous' would be....
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
Wow! Big menu... I am so glad you hired someone to clean for you. I keep thinking I will do that and never do. Pat yourself on the back! Good luck with the party and Picky's Mom. In-laws should be called out-laws~they cause us so much grief.
"Time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time."
Laura
  Re: Re: Engagement Party by luvnit (Wow! Big menu... I...)
Have a great time, PJ! Hope they like the turnovers!
Practice safe lunch. Use a condiment.
  Re: Re: Engagement Party by Lorraine (Have a great time, P...)
GO GIRL!!! And how will you keep your sanity with all that "stuff" going on???

Your menu sounds great---how thoughtful to include everyone's favorites!! Just keep in mind---this is for your son and future DIL----don't matta what the others think!!! HAVE FUN, yourself-----good call on outsourcing the cleaning!!! PICTURES!!!!!
"Never eat more than you can lift" Miss Piggy