What's For Dinner Tonight??
  Re: (...)
We're having leftovers and repeats....

Roy just loved Nigella's Ribs (so to speak ) and I have leftover Green Tomato sauce to use with some pasta.

I made 3 lbs of Italian sausage yesterday and I'm looking forward to some dishes using that in the next couple weeks.

Also, completely off the subject, but something fun came up yesterday. Roy has been driving our new spice store crazy with my requests - yesterday it was Achiote paste and they didn't carry it, but they did have seeds and ground that he brought home. But, they asked him yesterday if I would be willing to type up some of the recipes I'm using all these goodies for so they can post them with the different spices. that will be fun, I'm thinking.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: What's For Dinner Tonight?? by cjs (We're having leftove...)
Tonight is leftovers here, too. Some zesty pork chops, a serving of halibut, a spinach fetticune & chicken recipe, vegetarian lasagna, I think that's all. The frig is full, so we'll pull out everything and each to his own. We call this a "smorgass borgass".
  Re: Re: What's For Dinner Tonight?? by HomeCulinarian (Tonight is leftovers...)
"smorgass borgass".

Just realized this is Thursday - when the kids were growing up Thursday was 'clean the frig' nite and their favorite nite of the week - dibs and dabs of so many goodies.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: What's For Dinner Tonight?? by cjs ("smorgass borgass". ...)
Not sure whats for tonite, but may I tell you about last nite?
I try to do meatless once or twice a week. Last nite I had some broccoli that needed to be used. Sauté in jot of olive oil with sliced onion and minced garlic and some basil. Deglaze with a bit of white wine (whatever I'm drinking at the time)season as you like. When broc is about done add 1 can garbanzo beans with liquid and let it reduce a little. (oops, I forgot to mention be boiling water and cooking pasta all this time) Top the broccoli with crumbled gorganzola and stir to melt, thicken with a slurry of chicken broth and flour and a bit of cream and finish with sliced fresh tomatoes. I tossed over med shells, it was really good, healthy maybe even.
Cis
Cis
Empress for Life
Speaking of Nigella, I've been thinking about putting one of her cookbooks on my wish list for the holidays. Do you have a recommendation on which one is best?
Lori
http://www.RecipeGirl.com

"Everything tastes better with wine"
Tonight we are having Spaghetti & Meatballs, Spring Mix Salad and Garlic Bread.

and chocolate cupcakes from the bakery for dessert!

I was wondering if anyone had a great spaghetti sauce recipe I could try. Just getting bored with the one I have been making. Thought I would try one from someone on this forum. I trust ya'll .
"Time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time."
Laura
  Re: Re: What's For Dinner Tonight?? by SDRecipeGirl (Speaking of Nigella,...)
lORI---ANY ONE IS A WINNER!!!

Dinner tonight was leftover lunch today---we (READ: IIIII) had a last minute ( ) surprise visitor----very pleasant even though I am exhausted!!!! TOO MANY things happenin' I made a salmon pie, quiche lorraine, salad, and homemade garlic bread!!! GEESH---enough, already!!!!

I had a cherry cobbler for dessert with a dollop of vanilla ice cream---HAAGEN DAAS----would you believe this came onto the market this VERY day!!!!! YUMMMMMM!!!!

Tomorrow we have "potential" buyers for the property----TONS OF GOOD LUCK NEEDED!!!! AGAIN---seems as though I am always asking for those---
"Never eat more than you can lift" Miss Piggy
  Re: Re: What's For Dinner Tonight?? by Roxanne 21 (lORI---ANY ONE IS A ...)
"Tomorrow we have "potential" buyers for the property----" EVERYONE WILL CROSS THEIR FINGERS!!!

cis, that sounds so good - copied!!

Lori - I spent Sept. cooking out of "Feast" and I could have made a dinner every night of the month there were so many to choose from. And because I like that one so well, I ordered a used copy of "Nigella Bites" - but haven't used it yet.

Laura, I'll toss out my marinara sauce and I hope others will give theirs to try - and this one is heart healthy also.

MARINARA SAUCE

28 ounces plum tomatoes -- canned
2 T. tomato paste
1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
1/2 tsp. dried basil
1/4 tsp. black pepper
4 cloves garlic -- minced
1 T. brown sugar
1 bay leaf.
1 T. olive oil
1/4 teaspoon cider vinegar

In a medium saucepan, combine the tomatoes, tomato paste, oregano, basil, pepper, garlic, brown sugar and bay leaf. Gently simmer for 30 minutes. Do not allow to boil.
After the 30 min. taste and add more basil and oregano if needed - this time add fresh if possible.

Stir in the olive oil and vinegar and simmer for 30 minutes more.

For using as a pizza sauce, allow the sauce to simmer the first time for 1 hour to thicken. Then add the olive oil and vinegar for another 30 minute simmer.

Note: For a change of pace, add a parmesan rind at the beginning of cooking.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: What's For Dinner Tonight?? by Roxanne 21 (lORI---ANY ONE IS A ...)
Positive thoughts coming your way Roxanne. Good luck!
Don't wait too long to tell someone you love them.

Billy
  Re: Re: What's For Dinner Tonight?? by bjcotton (Positive thoughts co...)
Roxanne, did I miss something? You're selling???

Don't know what's for supper tomight. Was going to go grocery shopping for last minute things for Thanksgiving, but I don't think I need anything anymore. Might be poached eggs on toast.
Practice safe lunch. Use a condiment.