Fried Goat Cheese with Onion Confit
  Re: (...)
In the Fajitas...I think thread, Billy said:
Quote:

...Paul is not an onion fan...poor baby

Then Lorraine responded:
Quote:

I've been wanting to try my hand at onion jam / marmalade.

Well, I LOVE onions, and seeing Lorraine's post immediately brought to mind the idea of an onion confit, so along comes google.

The first link on the list was interesting and informative, and I have added it to my bookmarks, but a little bit farther down in the results, I encountered the following recipe, which sounds incredible:

Fried Goat Cheese with Onion Confit

Ingredients:
  • 1/2 recipe Onion Confit (below)
  • 1 egg
  • 1/4 teaspoon dried parsley flakes
  • A 4-ounce log goat cheese, cut in 1/2-inch slices
  • Dried bread crumbs, preferably mixed with Japanese-style panko crumbs
  • Mild olive oil for frying
Instructions:
  • Prepare the Onion Confit and reserve. [May be prepared ahead.] In a shallow bowl, beat the egg and parsley together with a fork. Dip the cheese in the egg, then coat with the crumbs.
  • Heat the oil to 360 degrees F, preferably in a deep fryer. Otherwise pour oil into a skillet to a depth of at least 1 inch, and heat the oil until it quickly browns a cube of bread. Fry the cheese until golden brown and drain on paper towels. [May be kept warm in a 200 degrees F oven for up to 30 minutes.] Warm the confit and place a tablespoon or so on 4-8 individual plates. Place one or two of the fried cheese pieces on top and serve right away.

Onion Confit

Ingredients:
  • 2 tablespoons olive oil
  • 2 large onions, such as Vidalia or other sweet onion, (about 1-1/4—1-1/2 pounds), slivered
  • 2 cloves garlic, minced
  • 1/8 teaspoon crumbled thread saffron
  • 1 bay leaf
  • Kosher or sea salt
  • Freshly ground pepper
  • 1 tablespoon dry white wine
Instructions:
  • Put the oil, onions, garlic, saffron, and bay leaf in a shallow sauté pan. Heat over the lowest possible heat until the mixture begins to sizzle. Cover and cook 40 minutes. Season well with salt and pepper, add the wine, and cook until evaporated. [May be prepared ahead.]
If blueberry muffins have blueberries in them, what do vegan muffins have?
  Re: Fried Goat Cheese with Onion Confit by labradors (In the [url=http://w...)
Oh my, I'm all over this one!! with a little honey-pepper drizzled over all..... I have everything for this and now I'm off to play. good find, Lab!!

p.s. just checked out the referenced site and does this not look like it has to be made today????

[Image: GOATCHEESE.jpg]
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Fried Goat Cheese with Onion Confit by cjs (Oh my, I'm all over ...)
Oh geez, I have one little nub of goat cheese left. I'd have to make it and eat it before the other one gets home! :gin: Thanks, lab!!!!
Practice safe lunch. Use a condiment.
  Re: Re: Fried Goat Cheese with Onion Confit by cjs (Oh my, I'm all over ...)
Quote:

Oh my, I'm all over this one!! with a little honey-pepper drizzled over all..... I have everything for this and now I'm off to play. good find, Lab!!

p.s. just checked out the referenced site and does this not look like it has to be made today????

[Image: GOATCHEESE.jpg]

Bob will have to stop at the store - I used the last of the panko on abalone last week. Plus he'll have to get onions - this has to be made - SOON!!
You only live once . . . but if you do it right once should be enough!
  Re: Re: Fried Goat Cheese with Onion Confit by Harborwitch ([blockquote]Quote:[h...)
LOL! Well, I can see I'm not alone in my reaction to this one. Since my checking deposit won't clear until tomorrow, I'll have to wait to make it, but I need to pick up some goat cheese, anyway, to make some pizzas. I'll just make sure to have a little extra on hand, since this is just begging, "Cook me now!"
If blueberry muffins have blueberries in them, what do vegan muffins have?
  Re: Fried Goat Cheese with Onion Confit by labradors (In the [url=http://w...)
This looks so good! I've used fried chevre, with the panko before on salads but never thought about onion confit.

Thank you for posting, hope you're back to normal by now.

PJ
PJ
  Re: Re: Fried Goat Cheese with Onion Confit by pjcooks (This looks so good! ...)
Well my delicious onion confit is ready and waiting for 4 p.m. and hors & wine. Which wine to drink with this? hmmmm, Bill, I'm sure will say Pinot (and I bet that would be good), I don't know if we have a chianti but would like to try it. Sauvignon Blanc.....decisions, decisions...
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Fried Goat Cheese with Onion Confit by cjs (Well my delicious on...)
Oh my, this is a great hors!!

[Image: friedgoatcheese.jpg]

I added a couple of goodies - sprinkled with a little thyme and drizzled honey-black pepper mixture (love that combination with goat cheese). It was delicious.

Found a Chianti after all downstairs - Gaetano D'Aquino Chianti Riserva '98 - don't know how long we've had it, but it was $4.99 at Trader Joe's sometime....

I have a party coming up for a winery and I'm seriously thinking of using this as an amuse-bouche - just one medallion of goat cheese with a little onion confit and the honey-pepper and thyme. On a white plate so the honey/pepper will shine and show up.

Hope everyone else enjoys it as much as we did.

Goodnite all!!

I think I got too close with the above pix - see if this one looks better.... if not, that's it, no others.

[Image: friedgoatcheesetwo.jpg]
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Fried Goat Cheese with Onion Confit by cjs (Oh my, this is a gre...)
Yawzaaa!!! Jean, it looks fabulous!! It's on the menu for sometime this weekend, will make the onion confit tonight!
Practice safe lunch. Use a condiment.
  Re: Re: Fried Goat Cheese with Onion Confit by cjs (Oh my, this is a gre...)
Bob came home with the panko and the onions last night. I will make the confit today. And we will have them one day this weekend.
You only live once . . . but if you do it right once should be enough!