Long Weekend In Galveston
  Re: (...)
After Janes chemo in Houston Thursday, we headed to Galveston. She was feeling pretty good so we had an early dinner (6:30) at Fisherman's Warf. Fried shrimp, Belgian fries, great slaw. We took leftovers to our condo in the Galvestonian and sit on the 11th floor over the beach watching the ships on the horizon going in the Houston ***** channel.

On Friday we went to Gaido's for late lunch and had grilled Red Snapper with a lump crabmeat cream sauce. With my vegi I had sauteed mushrooms. Jane had wonderful potatoes au gratin. The red snapper is amazing- it is more abundant than ever, thriving around the offshore drilling rigs--it is a deep water fish. A real counterpoint to the enviornmentalists.

We stopped at the docks and got 4# of shrimp (21-25 count) and 2# of grouper, fresh caught and filleted for us. When we got to the room I boiled the shrimp and made a red sauce.

Dinner was a shrimp salad for me with a purchased Louisiana Remoulade sauce, from the shrimp I boiled. Jane had her leftovers from lunch. Still delicious. I think red snapper is the best gulf fish, followed by fresh caught but rare red fish (red drum), and flounder. A Broken Spur (Bounty Hunter brand) sauvignon blanc was perfect. Janes eating has changed --she can't eat as late and tires at the end of the day.

This morning we had bacon lettuce and tomato sandwiches (I added caramalized onions to mine). This afternoon we are eating at a little Greek place on the seawall. Boiled shrimp and leftovers tonight. The grouper is for tomorrow.

Great trip--Jane's tumor is shrinking.

Re: Long Weekend In Galveston by Old Bay (After Janes chemo in...)
HOW ROMANTIC!!!!! That is really an awesome experience you have had!!! Those menus sound to die for!!! YUMMM!!! Some day we will have those products available for our consumption!!!

Seafood is the BEST!!! Continue to indulge, Old Bay!!!

Best wishes coming along for Jane----what a wonderful, supporting partner she has!!! KUDUS ( ) to you!!!

Keep us posted!!!
"Never eat more than you can lift" Miss Piggy
  Re: Re: Long Weekend In Galveston by Roxanne 21 (HOW ROMANTIC!!!!! T...)
"Great trip--Jane's tumor is shrinking." - oh Bill, what wonderful news for you both!!! huge hugs all around.

I did Allen Susser's grilled red snapper burgers with a mango ketchup one time - oh boy was that good!

Sounds like a wonderful weekend all around and the food - wow!

Again, wonderful news about Jane.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
Thank you for sharing your trip with us, Bill. As I was reading it and thinking how wonderful it all sounded, it struck me what an inspiring couple you are. So happy to hear your good news, too. God bless you both!

Maryann
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."
Worthy of a celebration indeed! How lucky Jane is to have you to cook for her. We moved in with my father when he was given 6 months to live. I cooked for him, nothing fancy mind you - wiener stew was one of his favorites - any kind of stew really. Anyway, he outlived his prognosis by 3 years and I like to think I had a small part in that. At the very least, it gave me a tangible task, beyond keeping track of the medical needs.
  Re: Good News! by lxxf (Worthy of a celebrat...)
Oh, Jane cooks too!! She is the best. But, tonight (5:30 PM can be civalized under these conditions), we ate at Olympia on the seawall--we both had pork tenderloin gyros on pita with the Greek cucumber/yogurt sauce. I had a lentil soup--she had roasted potatoes. The wine was Danielis Achaia Clauss--who said Greeks can't make red wine!!!
"He who sups with the devil should have a. long spoon".
  Re: Re: Good News! by Old Bay (Oh, Jane cooks too!!...)
"The wine was Danielis Achaia Clauss--who said Greeks can't make red wine!!!" - not me!!
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
Bill, I'm so happy to hear about Jane! What good news for the both of you.

It sounds like you've had a full and happy weekend. She's very lucky to have you as a support system (and I know you're going to say the same about her)

Hope things continue to go well!

PJ
PJ
  Re: Re: Long Weekend In Galveston by pjcooks (Bill, I'm so happy t...)
Best wishes Bill!
Cis
Cis
Empress for Life
  Re: Re: Good News! by Old Bay (Oh, Jane cooks too!!...)
Oh Bill I'm so very happy to hear the tumor is shrinking and Jane is feeling better. That is such good news - and I think it's fantastic that you've made this journey so memorable!

If Jane is having a big problem with fatigue you might check out frsenergy.com. I got their sample pack - all you pay is 3.95 for shipping. They have vitamins, and lots of anti-oxidants. On the days that I take them I feel amazing. For some reason the pain (side effects from the meds) is even less - and I can accomplish a lot. Lance Armstrong takes them - and my PCP gave me the go ahead.
You only live once . . . but if you do it right once should be enough!