Great Stew - Pork and Tomatillo Stew
  Re: (...)
Got this out of Food and Wine Magazine. It's featured on the cover. It had just a wonderful flavor!!! I added 4 dashes of Tapatio Hotsauce right at the end and just before serving.

ingredients
2 tablespoons vegetable oil
1 1/2 pounds boneless pork loin, cut into 3-inch chunks
Salt and freshly ground pepper
2 large celery ribs, finely diced
1 small red onion, finely diced
1 Anaheim chile, seeded and finely diced
2 garlic cloves, minced
2 teaspoons mild chile powder
1 tablespoon ground cumin
Pinch of dried oregano
2 cups chicken stock or low-sodium broth
1 cup 1/2-inch-diced carrots
Two 6-ounce russet potatoes, peeled and cut into 1-inch dice
One 28-ounce can diced tomatoes
1 pound tomatillos—husked, rinsed and cut into 1-inch dice
Hot sauce
Chopped cilantro, for garnish
Corn tortilla chips, for serving

directions
In a medium casserole or Dutch oven, heat the oil. Season the pork with salt and pepper and cook over high heat until browned on 2 sides, about 2 minutes per side. Add the celery and onion and cook over moderate heat, stirring occasionally, until softened, about 7 minutes. Add the diced chile, garlic, chile powder, cumin and oregano and cook, stirring frequently, until fragrant, about 3 minutes. Add the chicken stock and bring to a boil. Add the carrots, potatoes, tomatoes and tomatillos, cover and simmer over low heat until the pork is cooked through, about 25 minutes.
Transfer the pork to a plate and shred with two forks. Meanwhile, simmer the stew over moderate heat until thickened, about 10 minutes. Stir the shredded pork into the stew and season with salt, pepper and hot sauce. Ladle the stew into bowls, garnish with chopped cilantro and serve with a few tortilla chips.
  Re: Great Stew - Pork and Tomatillo Stew by DFen911 (Got this out of Food...)
Sound great--I will try this--I use tomatillos a lot-- if the stew is too tart (you can't trust a tomatillo for tartness or a jalapeno for heat) add some sugar.
"He who sups with the devil should have a. long spoon".
  Re: Re: Great Stew - Pork and Tomatillo Stew by Old Bay (Sound great--I will ...)
Oh, this is right up my alley - have everything except the tomatillos and they are but a few blocks away....

Thanks for posting this, Denise - I just recently let my subscription lapse, I just HAVE to back off on all the magazines. (we'll see how long this lasts... )
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Great Stew - Pork and Tomatillo Stew by cjs (Oh, this is right up...)
Can't trust a tomatillo eh? Dangerous stuff.