Chestnut recipes
  Re: (...)
Okay, it looks like we're going to have a decent harvest of chestnuts this year. Now, what to do with them? In previous years while the trees were young and we only got a few, we just roasted them on the grill and ate them like a snack. I used them a few times in vegetable dishes with brussel sprouts and we liked that real well. I got a soup recipe from someone and I'm planning on trying that. Any more suggestions or recipes would be appreciated. Does anyone bake with these?

Maryann
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."
  Re: Chestnut recipes by Mare749 (Okay, it looks like ...)
"I used them a few times in vegetable dishes with brussel sprouts" - oh my, I haven't thot of this dish in years and it's sooooooo good, but so bad.... (but this one has water chestuts in it)

BRUSSEL SPROUTS & CHESTNUTS
Serving Size : 6

1 to 1/12 lbs. brussels sprouts
1/4 cup butter
1/4 cup flour
1 cup chicken broth
1 cup light cream
2 Tbsps sherry
4 ozs grated Bonbel cheese
11 ozs water chestnuts -- drained & sliced
salt & pepper -- to taste
4 strips bacon -- cubed & fried crisp

Cook sprouts in salted boiling water until tender; drain and set aside.
Melt butter and whisk in the flour. Gradually add broth, cream and sherry; cook over low heat, stirring constantly until mixture bubbles and thickens.
Add the cheese; continue cooking and stirring until cheese is melted.

Fold in sprouts and chestnuts.
Add salt and pepper to taste and sprinkle with the crumbled bacon.

Description:
"Barbara Ellsworth, San Jose,'60s"
----------------
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Chestnut recipes by Mare749 (Okay, it looks like ...)
Hi, Maryann! Just the other day I was going thru all my chestnut recipes because they are here! We use chestnuts quite a bit in the fall/winter, and most especially during the holidays. With your mom being Italian, you may remember having them this time of year. We use them in everything from baked goods to main course -- cakes, cookies, dips, stuffing for meats or poultry, roasting/toasting and then adding spices of sweet or savory and eat out of hand like one would with peanuts!

What type of recipe would you like? A cake? stuffing? Have a recipe for practically anything you could ask for. Even for making chestnut FLOUR which is oh soooo yummy in baked goods, like a bread or cake! let me know and will post....or I can just post some of our family favorites. What say ye?
Vive Bene! Spesso L'Amore! Di Risata Molto!

Buon Appetito!

Linda