Red Bread
  Re: (...)
This is a wonderful bread and there must be a hundred great herb/seasoning ideas to play with. At the last minute I added granulated garlic and onion to the dough - didn't think of it early enuf to add fresh. Great flavor. I think some jalapeno would be good also. maybe even pine nuts.

I made one regular loaf and 8 mini loaves for appys and such. I keep thinking little toasted slices topped with rubbed garlic and some cheese....

RED BREAD
You Say Tomato book, Joanne Weir

5 cups all-purpose flour
1 package dry yeast -- (1/4-ounce)
1 cup buttermilk
1 tablespoon unsalted butter
2 tablespoons sugar
1 1/2 teaspoons coarse salt
1/4 cup tomato juice
3/4 cup peeled -- seeded, and diced fresh or canned tomatoes
optional additions?: onion, roasted garlic, toasted pine nuts, jalapenos, .........

Melted unsalted butter for brushing
In a large mixing bowl, combine 2 1/2 cups of the flour and the yeast and set aside. In a medium saucepan over low heat, heat the buttermilk, butter, sugar, and salt just until the butter melts and the mixture is warm.

In another medium saucepan over low heat, warm the tomato juice and tomatoes just until warm (110°F). Add the warm buttermilk mixture to the flour and beat at low speed for 30 seconds. Add tomatoes and beat for an additional 30 seconds. Scrape the sides of the bowl and beat until well mixed, 3 minutes.

With a wooden spoon, stir in 2 cups of the flour until well mixed. Turn the dough onto a lightly floured surface and knead in enough of the remaining 1/2 cup flour until the dough is smooth and elastic, 7 to 10 minutes.

Shape the dough into a ball, place it in a well-oiled bowl, and turn to coat with oil. Cover with plastic and let rise in a warm place (75°F) until doubled in volume, about 1 ½ hours.

Preheat the oven to 375°F.

Divide the dough into 2 pieces and form into round balls. Let rest for 10 minutes. Lightly grease 2 8 1/2X4 1/2X2 ½-inch loaf pans. Shape the dough into 2 sausage-like rolls. Place in the loaf pans, cover lightly with a kitchen towel, and let rise until nearly doubled in size, about 1 hour.

Bake the bread until it is golden and sounds hollow when it is tapped on the bottom, 35 to 40 minutes. Remove from the oven and cool on a wire rack. After 15 minutes, brush the top with the melted butter.
------
J. Weir's notes: No matter what way you serve it, hot from the oven or toasted for the perfect BLT, this bread can't be beat. If by chance you do have an extra loaf, wrap it in plastic and then foil and freeze for later use.
Makes 2 loaves
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Red Bread by cjs (This is a wonderful ...)
I am going to have to make that!

When I was a kid I can remember my mother making bisquick biscuits with tomato juice and dried parsley flakes. Oh how I loved those - and this brought back lovely memories. Yum

Oh Billy - we have another project for today!
You only live once . . . but if you do it right once should be enough!
  Re: Re: Red Bread by Harborwitch (I am going to have t...)
and it makes great sandwiches too!!!

Chix & fontina and pickles

[Image: redbread.jpg]

well.... isn't that messy lookin' but, the point of the picture is the bread really holds up well for sandwiches.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Red Bread by cjs (and it makes great s...)
That's interesting----thanks, Jean----copied!!! Now to see if I can fit a bread thang into the menu soon----Peter has begun to eat well and has gained about 6 pounds since his medical disaster. He is starting to look like my man again but now I have to watch the further gain----gotta keep all that under control---GEESH----no making it easy!!!
"Never eat more than you can lift" Miss Piggy
  Re: Re: Red Bread by cjs (and it makes great s...)
Yummmm.......
"Time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time."
Laura
  Re: Re: Red Bread by luvnit (Yummmm..........)
To the top for Luvnit!!!!
Practice safe lunch. Use a condiment.
  Re: Re: Red Bread by Lorraine (To the top for Luvni...)
I want to eat that Chicken, Fontina and Pickles sandwich Jean photographed for us to drool over.

Licking the screen is not the same.

Thanks Lorraine
"Time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time."
Laura
  Re: Re: Red Bread by luvnit (I want to eat that C...)
You're welcome! I'm taking this recipe with me, he's a good bread maker.
Practice safe lunch. Use a condiment.
  Re: Red Bread by cjs (This is a wonderful ...)
Thanks Jean, I will definately have to be trying this one, it sounds great! And that sandwich looks yummy!

Maryann
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."
  Re: Re: Red Bread by Mare749 (Thanks Jean, I will ...)
Say, what do you think? I'm going to make this to take to our friends C&C this weekend. I'm going to try it in the PowwerPrep. I think it will work. If you have any suggestions about adapting the recipe for processor, please post them, but do it quick cuz I'm gonna get started right away.
Cis
Cis
Empress for Life