Star of Siam Thai Oil
  Re: (...)
I could really use some help in locating the product in the subject. The store where I bought it (Fox & Obel in Chicago) was very unhelpful in helping me find it, saying only that "We are no longer carrying this product." Here is a full description: Star of Siam Thai Oil; Roasted Peanut Oil, Aromatic Lemongrass, Ginger, Garlic, & Chili Oils; 8 fl.Oz. - 2.5ml; Golden Whisk*; Nob Hill * S.E.; P.O. Box 2131; S.S.F., CA 94080.
YES, I have written that address and got nothing back.

I enjoy this oil a great deal and would like to find more of it... even a different brand would work. It has a very full lemongrass aroma with undertones of the ginger and garlic. I've tried infusing oils with lemongrass, ginger, garlic, and chiles, but to no avail... somehow, this product is extremely potent and I cannot seem to reproduce it.

Thank you for any assistance you might provide.

Richard
  Re: Star of Siam Thai Oil by Richard ( I could really u...)
So far, this is not looking good. I found the following information:

Contact Information
La Regina Elinor
P.O. Box 2131 330 Shaw Road
South San Francisco, CA 94083
USA

Toll Free Phone: 800-660-5222
Phone: 650-952-7677
Fax: 650-952-9004

Unfortunately, when you go to their website, it just says, "On a treasure hunt - no more orders until further notice." Also, if you try to call the 800 number, you just get a recording that says, "Get together with exciting people everywhere - call...[some other 800 number]." I have not tried calling the 650 number, since it would still be too early in the morning for that time zone.

Still, there may be some places that still have some of the stuff in stock, even though the manufacturers appear to be AWOL. Some comments that I found said that someone had found it at Williams-Sonoma, but you would need to check one of the actual stores, since this product is not on the Williams-Sonoma website.

Amazon does have a listing for it, but it is listed as being unavailable.

That leaves http://www.farawayfoods.com. Although their website doesn't list that specific oil, it does have some other product by Golden Whisk, so maybe they have it somewhere, or can point you in the right direction.

Good luck.
If blueberry muffins have blueberries in them, what do vegan muffins have?
  Re: Re: Star of Siam Thai Oil by labradors (So far, this is not ...)
WELCOME Richard!!!

Looks as though labradors has done all of my research anad then some

Hope you find your product---don't cha just hate finding something you really love to cook with and then "poof"-- That sounds like a nice ingredient. Let us know if/when you have some luck!

Join us again---Roxanne
"Never eat more than you can lift" Miss Piggy
  Re: Re: Star of Siam Thai Oil by Roxanne 21 (WELCOME Richard!!![b...)
Yes, I hate it. Rest assured that Fox & Obel will never again receive a dime of my "mad money" (so called cuz you have to be insane to pay their prices).

I have no idea how labradors found all of that, as I had been working those names in my search engine for three months. Yes, I will let you know if and when I find it.

Thank you,

Richard
Keep your lid closed, your coals hot, and your smoke wispy.
  Re: Re: Star of Siam Thai Oil by labradors (So far, this is not ...)
Good Lord... you're amazing! I've been looking for information since July and didn't get this far. (think I'll fire my browser) Thank you VERY much! I'll be persistent and let you know when I've succeeded!

Sincerely,

-Richard
  Re: Re: Star of Siam Thai Oil by Richard ( Good Lord... you'r...)
...and this being a Thai oil, am I correct in thinking this is a rather hot oil? or are other flavors (lemongrass) more prevalent? May have to follow your trail!

Welcome to the forums - hope you'll stick around for a while, a great group of folks here. Sounds like you are a real foodie, what kind of dishes do you like preparing?
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Star of Siam Thai Oil by cjs (...and this being a ...)
I don't find this oil hot at all, just incredibly flavorful... ohhhh, there might be a subtle little pinch, but as a recovering chile-head I do not detect it. I bought it on a lark some time back and then used it in my wok when I discovered that I was out of mongolian firepot oil, thinking it would be reasonably hot.. it wasn't, but the explosion of aromas and flavors more than compensated. I use it almost exclucively to lightly brush buns just before grilling them for my black bean burgers, but will soon have none.

I cook a lot of different things, most leaning to spicy and up. I am a certified bbq judge for the Memphis BBQ Network of contests and for the Kansas City BBQ Society and judge from Florida to Canada, so lots of bbq related things. I also permit myself to be auctioned off at charity auctions, most recently a dinner for eight consisting of Guacamole, Wasabi Prawns over steamed curried rice & veggies, Mexican potato salad, smoked baked beans, pulled pork, ribs, and praline & cream cake. Soo, you can see various influences at work.

I hope to try keeping up with this group as it seems interesting and fun, but my travels tend to keep me away from the net. I don't like lugging a laptop about if I don't need it.

Thank you for the warm welcome.

Sincerely,

-Richard
  Re: Re: Star of Siam Thai Oil by Richard ( I don't find this o...)
What a fun time in your life this must be!! I'll be hounding you for some of the Cookoff locations in the near future, we are just about to start taking off on long, fun trips and we'd love to hit the cook offs around the country.

"black bean burgers," - ...and do you share recipes?? this sounds interesting.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Star of Siam Thai Oil by Richard ( I don't find this o...)
Hi, Richard. It's fun to have new people join in here. Also good to have someone else from Illinois in the mix.
  Re: Re: Star of Siam Thai Oil by cjs (What a fun time in y...)
Or should I have titled this Black Bean Burgers? Frankly, I share every recipe I have, save those given by any cook or chef who asked that I not share it. This particular recipe was taken from the internet, though I know not from whence it came and I will be happy to send it via private mail. For some reason I cannot cut and paste to posts.

Gads... I had typed an epic novel, regarding bbq contests, but when I hit enter to start a new paragraph, it all disappeared.

Again, thank you for the warm welcome.

-Richard