Pumpkin Cheesecake with Gingersnap-Pecan Crust
  Re: (...)
I couldn't stand it. Even though I am not a baker, I HAD to make this. I nearly always screw up baking. So I am being very meticulous with these directions. I read them over about 10 times before I started the process. Essentially, there are only three steps: Crust, Filling, Topping. I am keeping my fingers crossed, but I am fairly confident I can pull this off.

Already I had to use more gingersnaps to make a full "1 cup" of ground cookies. I used 30 instead of 24. It could just be the size of the cookie too. You never know. I will post photos when it's all over.

Not as many as the bbally pictorials, but there will be a few.
"Time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time."
Laura
  Re: Pumpkin Cheesecake with Gingersnap-Pecan Crust by luvnit (I couldn't stand it....)
We're anxiously waiting for your results - don't worry about it, lots of pictures just takes up space. This is really looking good to us also!!
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Pumpkin Cheesecake with Gingersnap-Pecan Crust by cjs (We're anxiously wait...)
Okay, well it's out of the oven and things are looking good. But I can't eat it until tomorrow!!

Oh well, I have pictures but nothing really exciting. If you've seen one cheesecake in a springform man, you've seen 'em all.

But I know what I am having breakfast tomorrow!! Then perhaps I will try another photo shoot

If this works, I will make another for Thanksgiving!
Laura
  Re: Re: Pumpkin Cheesecake with Gingersnap-Pecan Crust by luvnit (Okay, well it's out ...)
Laura, this sounds wonderful. I will be anxious to hear how you like it. Also need to know, is this in the new issue that hasn't shown up in my mailbox yet? Seems I'm one of the last this time except for Roxanne.
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."
  Re: Re: Pumpkin Cheesecake with Gingersnap-Pecan Crust by Mare749 (Laura, this sounds w...)
Guess what I had for breakfast today!!!

[Image: pumpkin.jpg]

There was just one issue. Perhaps someone can help me sort this out before my next attempt. I thought the crust was soggy on the bottom. It was crunchy on the thicker sides.

Okay, but the possible mistake I may have made would be that I didn't let it cool to room temperature before I put it in the fridge. I let it cool for an hour and a half. On a rack, but the bottom was still pretty warm when I put it in the fridge. My fridge does not have racks either, just glass shelves.

I also would have made the crust thicker, perhaps double or 1 1/2 the recipe. I like a thicker crust on cheesecake.
Laura
  Re: Re: Pumpkin Cheesecake with Gingersnap-Pecan Crust by luvnit (Guess what I had for...)
I'm not a baker, (God knows!! ) but I think you solved your problem - too warm to be put in the fridge.

My, that looks so delicious - I would have had it for breakfast also!!
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Pumpkin Cheesecake with Gingersnap-Pecan Crust by cjs (I'm not a baker, (Go...)
Jean,

I am soooo not a baker either, and I think you are right.

I think I will start it in the morning next time and give it ample time to cool to room temp. I will even make the crust a little thicker. [personal preference] This will be perfect for Thanksgiving.

My mom came over to try it this morning and LOVED it. But she is my mom

And as far as 'baking ability' need for this recipe... I would say, "Next to no experience necessary." It was very easy.

Oh and one more thing. It is very, rich and the magazine does not say how many this serves, but I would say 16-20. A 1 1/2 to 2" slice is plenty. (at least for me, and especially after a big meal).
Laura
  Re: Re: Pumpkin Cheesecake with Gingersnap-Pecan Crust by luvnit (Jean,[br][br]I am so...)
Laura---if you make the crust a bit thicker you will have to compensate for that to not have a soggy, uncooked result. The cake must be at room temp before the frig step--but you already know that!! Sure looks good enough to eat--thanks for your review and the pic----now to get THAT issue---GEESH!!!
"Never eat more than you can lift" Miss Piggy
  Re: Re: Pumpkin Cheesecake with Gingersnap-Pecan Crust by Roxanne 21 (Laura---if you make ...)
Thank your Roxanne. I do appreciate the input. I am a feeble baker, at best. This one turned out very well, even iwth my weak skills. My fault. I should have set my alarm in the middle of the night to put it in the fridge. Instead I was impatient. A bad quality for a baker to have.
Laura
  Re: Re: Pumpkin Cheesecake with Gingersnap-Pecan Crust by luvnit (Guess what I had for...)
I think you did a wonderful job, Laura! It looks beautiful. How did you like the sour cream maple syrup topping, I'd like to try this on my double decker. Great picture!!

PJ
PJ