Tuscan Toast
  Re: (...)
I can't remember if I've mentioned this, but you all probably do something on the order of it already, but just in case -

Mix together - at least 3 hours ahead of time -

diced up tomatoes (my little cherry & pear are what I've been using)
lots of garlic cloves minced (to about 2/3 cup tom - 5 or 6 cloves, large)
julienne basil leaves
olive oil
a few gratings of Parmesan
s&p

I just grab whatever leftover bread from the freezer and lightly grill it (if raining, I broil or toaster it) and top with this wonderful mixture.

Roy & I have decided we can make a meal of just this.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Tuscan Toast by cjs (I can't remember if ...)
I love bruschetta!
Chef de Cuisine
The Cowboy and The Rose Catering

USMC Sgt 1979-1985
  Re: Re: Tuscan Toast by bbally (I love bruschetta!...)
If left to my own devices on a Friday night, that would be my supper!!! And a glass of wine.
Practice safe lunch. Use a condiment.
  Re: Re: Tuscan Toast by Lorraine (If left to my own de...)
This is not a real bruschetta - that's why it's Tuscan toast.

For bruschetta, the bread is toasted, fresh garlic and tomato are rubbed over the toast.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Tuscan Toast by cjs (This is not a real b...)
Wouldn't a Tuscan toast be "Salute!" or "Cin Cin!"?
If blueberry muffins have blueberries in them, what do vegan muffins have?
  Re: Re: Tuscan Toast by labradors (Wouldn't a Tuscan to...)
oh f--k!(sorry, fooooooie) call it veggie topped toast....
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Tuscan Toast by cjs (This is not a real b...)
Quote:

This is not a real bruschetta - that's why it's Tuscan toast.

For bruschetta, the bread is toasted, fresh garlic and tomato are rubbed over the toast.

I cook for a good friend names Sal Sassano, he gave me this recipe he brought with him from sicili, here is what has become my Bruschette recipe, for a slightly different taste you can vary the way you toast the bread, toaster, grill or broiler as well as how dark you let the bread get, all work well. But my favorite is to use the grill pan as it makes such a nice presentation. Sometimes I top it with mozzarella if I have just made some for a pasta dish.

1.5 lbs ripe juicy tomatoes (Roma are good), crusty Italian bread, cut on the bias about 1/2 in. thick
garlic clove minced, 1-2 Tbsp capers, well rinsed
1/4 cup fresh oregano and/or fresh basil
Salt & Pepper
1/3 cup extra virgin olive oil

How top put it together-- Large pan of water to a boil. Cut a cross on the end of each tomato and scald them in the water. let them sit until skin of the tomato starts to split, about 1-2 min. Ice water tomatoes in a bowl. Peel and seed tomatoes, then roughly chop. Place in strainer over bowl for 20-30 min. Brush bread lightly with olive oil and place over hot grill or under broiler until golden on each side. Put tomatoes, garlic, capers, and oregano and/or basil in bowl. Season with s & p. Add oil and mix. Spoon tomato mixture over each bread slice.

And you are so right Jean, it does make a great dinner with a nice red wine!
Chef de Cuisine
The Cowboy and The Rose Catering

USMC Sgt 1979-1985
  Re: Re: Tuscan Toast by bbally ([blockquote]Quote:[h...)
I find kind of 'odd' sometimes that we think we have to cook a 'proper meal' every day. I find a 'pick plate' of goodies more than enough, and I am sure it is healthy. We have a fruit bowl, kiwifruit, tamarillos, apples, pears, some beautifully flavoured early peaches, at this time of year. Citrus...whatever. Raw veg. like green beans, peas, tomatoes (whole) carrot stix, celery. Pickled stuff, olives, sliced coloured peppers, and so on. Cheeses.

Of course, we are travelling through the days, weeks, that will deliver us to summer, whereas the delight of topped toast will be more in the northern mind. And I love that, when the wind is whistling and the fire is warm and crackly.

Please don't tell me a tomato is a fruit, I know. If yu do, I shall put rhubarb on your mashed potato.