Wild Game - Duck Recipe Needed
  Re: (...)
Our neighbor is an avid hunter and usually shares what he harvests with friends and neighbors. Mostly we get Canadian Goose, and I have a wonderful recipe for that if anyone wants it. But this time I have some wild duck.

People around these parts either make duck nuggets (bacon wrapped duck chunks dipped in bbq sauce), or they "Put it in the crock pot with cream of mushroom soup."

Neither one sounds very appealing to me. I have duck breasts too, by the way, not a whole duck.

We usually have cooked our goose to med-rare. That seems to work well with wild goose. Does the same go for duck?
"Time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time."
Laura
  Re: Wild Game - Duck Recipe Needed by luvnit (Our neighbor is an a...)
Here is a nice one that works well everytime.

4 duck breasts, split
1.5 cups chicken stock (duck stock if you have it)
1 Tbsp minced garlic
1/2 cup schmuckers seedless raspberry jam
1/2 cup red wine, Cabernet Sauvignon or burgundy
1 tsp minced fresh sage
1 Tbsp olive oil
1/4 cup butter, room temperature
Saute the minced garlic in the olive oil for til light brown. Add the wine to the saute and reduce wine by half. Stir in the jam and the (duck stock if you have it) chicken stock. Reduce by one third; mix in the sage, salt and pepper. Stir in the butter. hold

Salt and pepper the duck breast, place skin side down in saute pan heated over medium flame. Cook slowly til until the skin is brown (about 10 to 12 minutes) and some of the fat has been rendered out. Remove from the pan and roast on a rack in a roasting pan for 10 to 15 minutes until medium rare. (325 F oven) Remove from the oven slice against the grain on an angle into about 4 or 5 pieces. Add back to roasting pan or oven proof saute and sauce, place in oven for 8 minutes, remove and rest for 4 minutes, serve.
Chef de Cuisine
The Cowboy and The Rose Catering

USMC Sgt 1979-1985
The Canadian Goose reference made me chuckle...

There was a story about the "Canadian Geese" in our paper a while back. As its editor my hubby got a load of grief from readers chastising him for declaring the nationality of the geese... apparently, the correct name of these birds is Canada Goose.
  Re: Re: Wild Game - Duck Recipe Needed by HomeCulinarian (The Canadian Goose r...)
I love duck! One of the local grocery stores actually had frozen duck about a year ago, and I made sure I got one very quickly. Haven't seen them since, though, but if I do, I'll definitely try that raspberry/Cabernet recipe.

Will never forget something I had a a Pennsylvania-inn restaurant: Duckling roasted in an apple-jelly and applejack brandy glaze, with a calvados sauce. YUMMMMMMMMMM!
If blueberry muffins have blueberries in them, what do vegan muffins have?
  Re: Re: Wild Game - Duck Recipe Needed by labradors (I love duck! One of...)
I am afraid I like raised duck more than wild duck. We are given our 1/2 dozen every year, after the season. I find it best slow cooked in a heavy red wine, and some fruit, stone fruit, or berries as suggested by bbally. I really do mean slow cooked. Most of the day. Best also to get whatever shot out you can. I always have plain sides, like mashed potato, or just green salad dressed with a bite, because it so rich.
Yes, Laura, no more that medium-rare. Also, be sure to keep that liquid gold, altho you probably won't get as much from a wild breast.

PAN-SEARED DUCK BREAST

Score -- Season, and Cook:
4 boneless duck breasts -- thawed if frozen (6-8 oz. each)
Salt and pepper

Score skin on each duck breast with three or four shallow incisions, taking care not to cut the flesh; season with salt and pepper.

Heat a sauté pan over high. Add duck, skin side down, to the hot, dry pan; reduce heat to low, cover with a splatter screen (or cover other burners, this is just so you don't make a mess over everything), and cook for 10 minutes. (wild duck breasts will be smaller, so don’t overcook)

Remove breasts, pour off accumulated fat into a small container AND KEEP!!!), then return them to the pan, skin side down again.

Sauté until skin is crisp, about 10 minutes more. Turn breasts over, cook 2 minutes, then transfer to a cutting board. Allow duck to rest 5 minutes before slicing. The breasts should be about 128-132 F.

Once they are in the hot pan, don't move them for 10 minutes, then remove and drain off the liquid 'gold' - Probably be best to use your cast iron skillet or another real heavy one.

----

Sauce that would go well with the duck – please, if this is from someone here, Denise?, let me know – I just love this sauce!

Roasted Red Pepper Cream Sauce - with Shrimp or Duck

1 large shallot -- minced
4 cloves garlic -- minced
2 large red peppers -- roasted
half & half or heavy cream (I naturally used heavy cream... )
Butter
Extra Virgin Olive oil
S&P
Cayenne pepper

Roast the red pepper, peel, seed and dice.

Coat a sauté pan with olive oil & butter, and sweat the shallot and diced red pepper on low heat.

After several minutes, add the garlic and season with kosher salt, freshly ground black pepper and cayenne.

Once garlic has been cooked, pour mixture into a blender, add heavy cream and puree. Pour the mixture back into the pan and add additional cream if needed. Let the sauce reduce for approximately 10 min. on low heat, stirring often.

Season again if needed.

Oh my, this is so good!!
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Wild Game - Duck Recipe Needed by cjs (Yes, Laura, no more ...)
Quote:

Roasted Red Pepper Cream Sauce - with Shrimp or Duck

Shrimp? No thanks.

Duck? Not usually available.

Heck! Why not just for pasta? Will probably make this soon.
  Re: Re: Wild Game - Duck Recipe Needed by labradors ([blockquote]Quote:[h...)
"Why not just for pasta? " - what's not to love?
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Wild Game - Duck Recipe Needed by cjs ("Why not just for pa...)
Quote:

"Why not just for pasta? " - what's not to love?

LOL! For that matter, I just love making (and, of course, eating) the roasted peppers, and the red bell peppers here really roast well. When I can, occasionally, get some red poblanos, I roast them, too.
  Re: Re: Wild Game - Duck Recipe Needed by labradors ([blockquote]Quote:[h...)
Me too - always have in the freezer if I get carried away!!
www.achefsjourney.com