Homemade Rye bread
  Re: (...)
Making sourdough rye, for those of you following the sourdough bread making I have been doing, this is the recipe for this week. Rye bread.

The stuff you need:
Mother 1 Cup
Water ¾ Cup
Bread Flour ½ Cup
Rye Flour 1½ Cups (medium flour if you have a choice)
Salt 2 tsp
Butter 1 tbsp (margarine if the diet requires)
Caraway Seeds 1¼ tsp

Putting it together:
Put Mother, Bread flour, water, caraway seeds, salt and warm butter into a mixing bowl. Mix well. (machine users a dough hook will be required) Slowly add the rye flour a half cup at a time, until the dough is too stiff to ball.

Place dough on board or clean counter for kneading, cover with a damp cloth and let it rest for 15 minutes. (let the dough rest, even if you are kneading with a machine)

Knead dough for 10 to 15 minutes, until the dough is smooth. Try not to add very much additional flour, but it may be necessary to get the dough workable. Ball up the dough, wash the mixing bowl, oil it lightly, put the ball of dough in the bowl, roll the dough over to make sure it's covered evenly with oil.
Cover the mixing bowl with plastic wrap or towel, and place the dough in a warm place (75F - 90F) to rise until doubled. Once the dough has doubled, punch it down, knead it for 3 to 4 minutes, and cut it into rough loaf shapes. Let the dough rest covered for 30 to 45 minutes. Finish the loaf form. You may want to put this bread into a French loaf pan to cook, it will keep it from spreading. I cook it on a pizza stone, but it is not necessary.
Cover the loaf and let rise until almost doubled.

Preheat your oven to 450F.

Place loaves in the oven, put a cup of hot water into the pan on the bottom of the oven, and bake 10 minutes, then reduce the oven to 350F. Bake additional 45 minutes or so.

As with most rye breads, this is better, and easier to slice, the second day after baking.

Work on getting this one correct and the Day After Thanksgiving turkey sandwiches will be taken to the next level.

We start off with mother, I have always called it mother, some call it chef, some biga, some just call it starter. There are differences in what each means:

Poolish: French for a mixture of flour and water and a little yeast. 50/50 by weight
Biga: Italian for the same thing, except the Biga can be like a Poolish or very firm
Chef: dough-like starter that is either an unrefreshed levain or a piece of dough saved from previous baking
Levain: chef that has been refreshed with flour and water
Biga Natural: same as levain, but the Italian version
Mother: batter like starter of flour and water that is unrefreshed
Sour: mother that has been refreshed with flour and water

So we start with mother

[Image: mother.jpg]

Into the mixing bowl I add, mother, water, salt, bread flour and the warm butter. I start the dough hook stirring. It is important to wait til mother is real broke up and mixed before adding in the rye flour.

[Image: motherh20.jpg]

Once mother is pasty and sort of looking like white glue, we start to add in the rye flour, about 1/2 cup at a time so it gets mixed in real well.

[Image: mthrrye.jpg]

This will make a fairly sticky dough at this point. I scrape down the bowl and hook and let the dough rest for a full 15 minutes. After 15 minutes of rest the dough is ready to me turned out onto a work surface. I use a maple block lightly floured. You may need to work a little bread
flour into the dough to get it workable. But oil your hands cause you want this dough just a little sticky. And we don't want to add in to much flour above the recipe mix.

[Image: ryedough.jpg]

Once you get it to a nice dough ball you want to knead this dough for 12 o 15 minutes or so. The more you work the dough the better it will develop. I am resting it here on the maple board while I wash the mix bowl and oil it for
the first rise.

After the first rise in the bowl, (waiting for it to double in size) I will punch it down, knead for about 5 more minutes and make the loaf. In my case I like the smaller loaf for chicken salad or deviled ham on it. So I am going to use my French loaf pan and make smaller cocktail loafs.

[Image: ryeloaf.jpg]

I will let these rise till they are almost a full double in size. This rise is really responsible for the texture of the dough, it also adds to the flavor. Once they are doubled I am placing them in a 450 F oven with a pan
of water on the bottom rack. After 10 minutes I will kill the heat down to 350 F and let them bake another 45 minutes. I pull them and back to the maple board, I roll them after 4 minutes to keep the bottom dry as well.

[Image: bakedrye.jpg]

They look nice, I don't like it real dark on the crust. But the real test comes when you cut the loaf. Texture, taste, crunch of the crust, all have to come together to create a wonderful experience eating or something went wrong. Remember our homemade breads will always be heavier
than a factory made bread. We are not using the modifiers and chemical leavening help that the big guys use. This is artisan bread, not factory batter bread. For me the cut says it all, and this came out nice. One loaf for now,
one to rest til tomorrow for a nice appetizer selection in the afternoon with the wife since she is back tonight.

[Image: cutloaf.jpg]

'til we talk again, bake up some bread! It takes practice to get good at baking, but even the mistakes are usually good to eat!

Chef Bob Ballantyne
The Cowboy and The Rose Catering
Grand Junction, Colorado, USA
Chef de Cuisine

USMC Sgt 1979-1985
  Re: Homemade Rye bread by bbally (Making sourdough rye...)
Like I have said before, "I am a terrible baker."

But these photos make me want to try... again. I love rye bread. Really cool bread pan. I have seen those before and admired them.

Next we need to be able to 'smell' the message board

Laura
"Time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time."
Laura
  Re: Re: Homemade Rye bread by luvnit (Like I have said bef...)
I am working on smell posting as well speak. Don't hold much hope for it, but technology continues to improve!
Chef de Cuisine

USMC Sgt 1979-1985