Molasses vs Maple Syrup
  Re: (...)
Ok...I really need to take a baking course.

I have a couple of recipes I want to try today but they call for Molasses. I have never seen molasses in any store. Is that the same as maple syrup?
  Re: Molasses vs Maple Syrup by DFen911 (Ok...I really need t...)
VERY different, Denise!!!! Molasses should be in the baking section of your market. We have several types here including HIGH TEST!!! It is not as sweet and has a much richer flavor and thicker consistency. What are those recipes??
"Never eat more than you can lift" Miss Piggy
  Re: Re: Molasses vs Maple Syrup by Roxanne 21 (VERY different, Deni...)
Molasses is great stuff. It is what makes brown sugar (and, for that matter, pumpernickel bread) brown. In some cases, you may find it with syrups; in other cases, with sugars.
If blueberry muffins have blueberries in them, what do vegan muffins have?
  Re: Molasses vs Maple Syrup by DFen911 (Ok...I really need t...)
Oh, black strap molasses--heavy, thick,tart,semisweet,rich, very unmaple--there is nothing like a molasses cookie (my wife makes the best) and a molasses based pecan pie is like none you ever tasted. I really don't know if it's northern or Southern in creation--I know there is a line in a song from '1776' in the "Triangle Trade"--"molasses to rum to slaves, oh what a beautiful waltz" -very poignant,and thought provoking. Molasses goes back a long way with some major history.
  Re: Re: Molasses vs Maple Syrup by labradors (Molasses is great st...)
Ok just got back from another store run and found molasses! I was looking where syrups were and it was with the sugars and Karo syrup. Thank you! I never would have looked there

Ok I'm off to make gingerbread men (trying 2 recipes) and vanilla sugar cookies. Then while they are chillin in the fridge starting on dinner.

Everyone is gone, the kitchen is all mine as is the TV...woot
  Re: Re: Molasses vs Maple Syrup by Old Bay (Oh, black strap mola...)
If there was no cake / pie for dessert, my Father would put some in a bowl and dip bread in it. Glad you found some, Denise!
Practice safe lunch. Use a condiment.
  Re: Re: Molasses vs Maple Syrup by Lorraine (If there was no cake...)
The last time I was at Roy and Jean's in Washington [I should say the only time], Roy served me some Black Strap Rum...tasty stuff. Can't keep it around cause the 800 pounder drinks it.
Don't wait too long to tell someone you love them.

Billy
  Re: Re: Molasses vs Maple Syrup by bjcotton (The last time I was ...)
and the bottle is still here waiting for you...
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Molasses vs Maple Syrup by cjs (and the bottle is st...)
Ok made 2 batches of vanilla sugar cookies which I drizzled with a bit of bitter sweet chocolate. 1 large batch of ginger bread cookies.

Here is where I ran into a snag. I rolled out the dough, and the instructions said to lightly flour the surface and roll out the dough. Well not wanting the dough to stick to thr rolling pin, and not wanting the dough to absorb too more flour, I sprayed the pin with Pam. That worked great.

Till I had to lift them from the surface and put them onto the cookie sheet. It said to use an offset spatula..ok fine..but it squished them up so bad they lost all their shape. And I was just doing circles for practice. There is no way the shape of the gingerbread men/women will hold up.

Flavor wise they were great!

Now doing a batch of oatmeal raisin and chocolate chip.

Lucky me the temperature decided to sky rocket on the day I do my trail baking run. It's like 97 outside..whew!
  Re: Re: Molasses vs Maple Syrup by DFen911 (Ok made 2 batches of...)
Quote:

There is no way the shape of the gingerbread men/women will hold up.

Alas, my dear, yes there is!

Denise, here is a "secret" for use with ANY type of cut-out cookie.

Rather than roll out your dough on a countertop, tavoli, cutting board, or whatever, roll your dough out to the called for thickness directly ON THE COOKIE SHEET, then remove the SCRAPS from the cookie sheet. Your cut-outs are left in PERFECT shape! Toss the sheet into the oven and bake. The only "transfer" you'll have to worry about is your end product -- the BAKED cookie!

You'll NEVER fail with this secret!!!

Here's another "secret" -- for those of you who worry about using too much flour when rolling out your doughs, whether it be cookie, pie, etc., use 10x (confectioner's), cocoa powder mixed with some 10x or granulated sugar, etc. This avoids adding additional flour to your dough and making it dry, tough, etc. Can also use this "secret" for dusting your cake pans, rather than grease and flour, grease and 10x or cocoa powder, depending on what type of cake you make.
Vive Bene! Spesso L'Amore! Di Risata Molto!

Buon Appetito!

Linda