Half a Dozen Oysters
  Re: (...)
With my wife flying back home, I went out to do the shopping so we would not have to tomorrow. And to my amazement they Oysters had come in on the truck yesterday. Well what is a chef to do? Purchase oysters of course. darn lucky I did, her plane is being delayed and so she won't get in til after 8 PM tonight.

I washed the buggers off to get the sand out and the tagalongs off the outer shell.

[Image: oysters.jpg]

Oysters on ICE, so much potential, what shall I do with them. Have them raw on the half shell of course! So I prepare to do the deed to the oysters, dispatching them quickly from living creature, to human food!

[Image: 1stvictim.jpg]

I like a heavy blade, sharp pointed, angle ground oyster knife with a big full tang handle. If I was going through these in the commercial kitchen I would put on the glove cause I would have about 200 to do. But at home with six of them. I think I can manage not to lop off a finger.

[Image: insert.jpg]

This oyster is about to become food! Really really fresh food.

[Image: open.jpg]

Since the wife's plane is delayed, I will sit down to a little snack and hold dinner til she gets home. So I will need a TsingTao as it is an excellent beer with oysters. Plus some real nice Queen olives I picked up. That Santa Barbara Olive Company sure makes a nice product. Then my own cocktail sauce, based on Chili Sauce and Wasabi, and a few lemons. That ought to hold us til dinner time!

[Image: trayed.jpg]

Ah that should really go down nicely. Is there anything better then a fresh shucked oyster?

[Image: mmmmmgood.jpg]

Should have purchased a dozen. But portion control is real important in keeping the weight off. You can eat anything, you just can not eat an unlimited amount of everything.

'til we speak again, when your cruising the supermarket next, pick up something that will make a real interesting snack. You will enjoy the eating!

Chef Bob Ballantyne
The Cowboy and The Rose Catering
Grand Junction, Colorado, USA
Chef de Cuisine

USMC Sgt 1979-1985
  Re: Half a Dozen Oysters by bbally (With my wife flying ...)
We are now brothers. Why not 12-24-36--OMG-the taste of the sea--the only place you can really get it--you are welcome at my fire anytime. (Just bring oysters). Regards,Bill
"He who sups with the devil should have a. long spoon".
  Re: Re: Half a Dozen Oysters by Old Bay (We are now brothers....)
Brother Bill! Thanks you are welcome at my fireplace anytime!
Chef de Cuisine

USMC Sgt 1979-1985
Those oysters look sooooo wonderful! I love them. Great pictures too. I love food photos.
"Time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time."
Laura
There isn't anything much better than a fresh oyster, except for more of them! I like a little pile of freshly grated horseradish on mine too. Now I'm having a craving and it's only 7:37am. Is it possible to have a craving for oysters this early?
  Re: Re: Half a Dozen Oysters by Trixxee (There isn't anything...)
It is possible to crave oysters this early. But hold off on giving in to the craving til this evening, and share them with someone special. They are magical.
Chef de Cuisine

USMC Sgt 1979-1985
  Re: Re: Half a Dozen Oysters by bbally (It is possible to cr...)
Try a Sauvignon Blanc from New Zealand, or a very dry gin martini with them-amazing symbiosis in both. I love the liquid in the shell and limiting the crackers keeps you from getting full. How do you feel about farm raised? The ones I've had were good.
  Re: Re: Half a Dozen Oysters by bbally (It is possible to cr...)
I'm reading "A Geography of Oysters" by Rowan Jacobsen--new and quite good--very historical and culinary--try and find it --"American oysters differ as much as American people"--M. F. K. Fisher
  Re: Re: Half a Dozen Oysters by Old Bay (I'm reading "A Geogr...)
Thanks for the tip I will look for the book!
Chef de Cuisine

USMC Sgt 1979-1985