Sunday Dinner
  Re: (...)
I finally beat Jean to it!!!! I bought some nice buns yesterday, so it may be Philly Cheese Steak sandshiches. I have a pot of vegetable barley soup ( with a parmesan rind and a big stem of summer savoury thrown in) that is smelling up the house nicely. And I have the mixture made for homemade Sausage Rolls. The recipe calls for making one huge roll, so I'll have to decide how to cut the dough as I want individual ones. I have bananas I'll make bread pudding. There's a loaf of banana bread is in the oven, along with 2 sweet potatoes I'm roasting. So, we have lots of choices. And it's not even 10am!!!!
Practice safe lunch. Use a condiment.
  Re: Sunday Dinner by Lorraine (I finally beat Jean ...)
WOW!!! What energy, Lorraine!! I'm a little under the weather today----but will do the prosciutto fish from Weeknights#2---can't remember the actual title at this very moment (SEE---NOT feeling too great!!! ). Will do the review tomorrow.
"Never eat more than you can lift" Miss Piggy
  Re: Re: Sunday Dinner by Roxanne 21 (WOW!!! What energy...)
Hey there, early riser!! God, that sounds good.

We're having a pancake cookoff this a.m. - making the best and the 2nd best pancakes...with a little bubbly

Dinner? Ribs and sweet tato fries. also may play with an hors from the new little book...

Feel better, roxanne - I think Lorraine made the fizzle fish last week?
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
Quote:

I bought some nice buns yesterday, so it may be Philly Cheese Steak sandshiches.

Now you've got me jonesin'. Will have to do this when my next check (actually PayPal) arrives in about a week.

Having been born in Warminster (just outside of Philly), I am often appalled at what some places serve as "Philly Cheese Steaks." Some use Cheese Whiz, some use American, I've even seen some that used Swiss, but all the Cheese Steaks I ever had were made with Provolone. Also, the cheese should be grilled right in with the meat, but some places would just melt it on top, and the sandwich never got that full, "Philly" taste. The grilled onions, peppers, and mushrooms were optional, but NEVER did these sandwiches include lettuce, tomato, or mayonnaise, though I've seen places that throw that stuff on there and try to call it a "Cheese Steak." That would be a "Cheese Steak Hoagie," not a "Cheese Steak." Likewise, if it has pizza sauce and Mozzarella, it's not a "Cheese Steak," it's a "Pizza Steak."

The one real shock to me, however, was when I moved to Florida, and had difficulty finding any GOOD Cheese Steaks. THAT wasn't the shock. The shock was where I DID find them: the deli at the Publix supermarkets. Most of the Publix delis custom make very good sandwiches, and often have pretty good lines near lunch time. Some of them also have little grills and actually make a killer Cheese Steak. About the only deviation from the norm is that they use the roast beef from the deli. They do shave it very well, though, and they cook it properly with the Provolone (even the onions, peppers, and mushrooms, if you like). There was one Italian restaurant in Orlando, where the owner had been from Philly, and they had authentic Cheese Steaks, but that went out of business, so it was quite a shock (and a relief) to discover that the Cheese Steak from the Publix deli was so good.
If blueberry muffins have blueberries in them, what do vegan muffins have?
  Re: Re: Sunday Dinner by labradors ([blockquote]Quote:[h...)
Rox, I hope you're feeling better! I do that recipe once every two weeks. He loves it, and it's so easy. I hope you folks like it also.

Labs, I've never had a real Philly sandwhich. His will be just the the really thin steak with soem processed mozz in a package. Mine will have fried onions, peppers,mushrooms, and the only cheese that I have that I think will work well is Jarslberg. He usually fries the steaks on the Foreman grill, or whatever it is we have, and it usually just kind of steams them, but today, I'me frying them on the cast iron griddle. I think it will be waaaay better.
  Re: Re: Sunday Dinner by Lorraine (Rox, I hope you're f...)
Quote:

Labs, I've never had a real Philly sandwhich. His will be just the the really thin steak with soem processed mozz in a package. Mine will have fried onions, peppers,mushrooms, and the only cheese that I have that I think will work well is Jarslberg. He usually fries the steaks on the Foreman grill, or whatever it is we have, and it usually just kind of steams them, but today, I'me frying them on the cast iron griddle. I think it will be waaaay better.

Mozzarella is okay, but Jarlsberg is way different. The next time you try it (i.e. when you can plan to get the cheese ahead of time, instead of just using what is on hand), try the Provolone, and you'll see what a huge difference it is.
If blueberry muffins have blueberries in them, what do vegan muffins have?
  Re: Re: Sunday Dinner by labradors ([blockquote]Quote:[h...)
I had the pleasure of visiting Philly in 1976, on my Senior class trip. We stopped for lunch of Philly steaks and that's what they used, Provolone, I asked.

Glad I had the real thing

PJ
PJ
We had a really yummy dinner! I made the sun-dried tomato crusted chicken from issue #44 and fettucine alfredo from WNM#2.

I'd never made the sun-dried tomato chicken and wasn't sure what the kids would do with it, but I had all the ingredients (fresh bread crumbs thanks to whoever posted that yummy mushroom croustade recipe!) and my DH was willing. I'm very happy to report that it was a huge hit with everyone! Delicious and fairly easy meal all around.

Roxanne, I hope you're feeling better!!
Meg
[url] www.meglucas.com [url]
  Re: Re: Sunday Dinner by mlucas1 (We had a really yumm...)
Well, it didn't work out as planned. at 5pm, he decided he wanted pork chops and double baked potatoes. that's OK, now I can pick up some provolone on the way home tonight!! The banana bread pudding was awesome!

That sun dried chicken sounds great!!!