Sharon vs Wallace
  Re: (...)
O.K. Sharon, this will probably bore the hell out of everyone else except you and me - but, here goes! The recipes are so similar - Wallace's has more (just a tad) baking soda than your version, little more sugar also. And I think the biggest difference is the bacon grease - I absolutely love bacon grease in pancake batter.

The little difference in the b. soda made a big difference in the working of the batter - Wallace's 'worked' the whole time, while Sharon's didn't except for a couple little bubbles.

Sharon's on the left - Wallace's on the right
[Image: batteraction.jpg]

They looked almost identical - again Sharon on the left -
[Image: pancakes.jpg]

and then, there was Roy's plate.....

[Image: ROYSPLATE.jpg]

All in all I think the Chronicle got a hold of Wallace's recipe sometime... (his is from the 1940s) - and I like his best out of the two, but only because of the bacon grease I think.

wonderful recipes - both!
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Sharon vs Wallace by cjs (O.K. Sharon, this wi...)
ROFL That's a great one, Jean! I want to know what the slab on the plate is. Is that a piece of back bacon?? I'll have to print off the 2nd recipe for him. He does love his pancakes! Thx!
Practice safe lunch. Use a condiment.
  Re: Re: Sharon vs Wallace by Lorraine (ROFL That's a great...)
BLACK BACON?????? Lorraine, that's a delicate slice of sauteed ham, thank you very much. (even Roy is insulted )
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Sharon vs Wallace by cjs (BLACK BACON?????? Lo...)
I meant BACK bacon. We were too poor for my Momm to cut the ham that thick. I'm just not used to seeing it.
Practice safe lunch. Use a condiment.
  Re: Re: Sharon vs Wallace by Lorraine (I meant BACK bacon. ...)
Where's the syrup??? AND the tons of BUTTER!!!

There is a noticeable difference with the extra baking soda--nice tutorial, Jean!!! Have y'all ever done the separating the eggs bit and then whisking the wwhites and folding into the batter? This makes a very nice lighter batter and pancake result!!! IMHO
"Never eat more than you can lift" Miss Piggy
  Re: Re: Sharon vs Wallace by Roxanne 21 (Where's the syrup???...)
I was just with my mother-in-law this weekend, going over the last review of the family cookbook project and we just discussed pancakes.

Of course, we too, have a 'best ever' pancake recipe passed on by her dad. In his recipe, the batter is mixed in a glass or ceramic bowl (special recipe of course), then a plate is placed on top to cover the bowl. The bowl is then partially immersed in very warm water. The batter rises in the bowl. I think the plate is just to keep the water out (I think).

But she also mentioned her friend makes the ones with the folded in egg-whites.

Pancake recipes must be like chili recipes... everyone has a favorite, and THEIRS is the best!

p.s. Nice presentation Jean. I wondered what the slab was also. I thought it was Spam
"Time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time."
Laura
  Re: Sharon vs Wallace by cjs (O.K. Sharon, this wi...)
Jean this is really funny. I wish I'd taken pictures - I had the opposite results - but then I was only working with one batch - and added the dry ingredients just before I was ready to cook them, on the first recipe.

We liked both - Wallace's were thinner and more delicate - sweeter and we did like the bacon drippings in them.

The first recipe, for me at least, were thicker and fluffier. I like fluffy! Of course you can't eat as many of them as you can thinner ones!

The problem came when Jennifer wanted some pancakes this am. She's not a big fan - but heard all about our little "contest" and wanted to try todays (Wallace's). Oooops, the bacon grease was a deal killer. No piggy products for her.

Next week waffles or aebelskiver for her! I've got my Grandmother's aebelskiver recipe so that's covered - now I'm on the hunt for waffles - actually the aebelskiver recipe might make really good waffles, yeast raised with beaten egg whites folded in. Hmmmmmmmm.

Now - I did take pictures of the bread I made yesterday!!!
You only live once . . . but if you do it right once should be enough!
  Re: Re: Sharon vs Wallace by luvnit (I was just with my m...)
Quote:

p.s. Nice presentation Jean. I wondered what the slab was also. I thought it was Spam

On my monitor, the ham is showing up as salmon pink, so naturally, I thought...salmon, ah, well, each to her own

Glad to hear it's ham!

PJ
PJ
  Re: Re: Sharon vs Wallace by pjcooks ([blockquote]Quote:[h...)
I love fish for breakfast! Not necessarily salmon, but perhaps a walleye, pan fish, or other white fish.

Fish and eggs... Yum, now that's a family favorite.
"Time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time."
Laura
  Re: Re: Sharon vs Wallace by luvnit (I love fish for brea...)
Fish and eggs, fish in an omelet, fish in herb sauce on English muffins, yes....as a matter of fact, I loved grilled haddock and dropped eggs on toast, dating myself, aren't I?

PJ
PJ