Heels of sandwich bread
  Re: (...)
The kids don't eat the heels of bread - 100% wheat sandwich bread - and I don't usually eat sandwiches. I throw away so many crusts. Sometimes we save them to feed the ducks - but usually they just get thrown out.

I thought maybe someone had some good uses for the heals of wheat sandwich bread?? Even if it is just an occasional use, I'd feel better not throwing them ALL away.
Erin
Mom to three wonderful 7th graders!
The time is flying by.
  Re: Heels of sandwich bread by esgunn (The kids don't eat t...)
Bread crumb.... Dry them and put them in the food processor.
"Time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time."
Laura
  Re: Re: Heels of sandwich bread by luvnit (Bread crumb.... Dry...)
Just gotta be sneaky: put the heel part on the INSIDE of the sandwich. Not a guaranteed solution, but works much of the time.
If blueberry muffins have blueberries in them, what do vegan muffins have?
  Re: Re: Heels of sandwich bread by labradors (Just gotta be sneaky...)
lol...that's exactly the trick I use...it seems to work well enough.
Tammy
  Re: Re: Heels of sandwich bread by TwilightKitten (lol...that's exactly...)
I process them and freeze---always have fresh bread crumbs for those recipes that call for them!!!
"Never eat more than you can lift" Miss Piggy
  Re: Re: Heels of sandwich bread by Roxanne 21 (I process them and f...)
Also, don't forget to cut them into cubes, toss them in a mixture of olive oil, garlic, oregano, thyme, salt, white pepper, and Parmesan, spread them in a single layer on a baking sheet, and bake them at 325F for about 15 minutes to make croutons for your soups and salads.
If blueberry muffins have blueberries in them, what do vegan muffins have?
  Re: Re: Heels of sandwich bread by labradors (Also, don't forget t...)
do the boys like canned tomatoes? I add stale toasted bread cut in cubes to a can of tomatoes for a bowl of veggies every once in a while. a little s & p and a knob of butter - yum, it's good.

I like the idea of turning them inside out for sandwiches...
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com