Fooling around witth my new air brush. . .
  Re: (...)
Made this cake for a Halloween-Birthday party this past weekend and had a blast with my new airbrush. In fact, the first cake I made, the cable guy who came to make sure we were finally up and running, asked to buy the cake off me. He was having a party at his place and wanted this one. Fortunately for him I had yet to do the writing on it and for what he offered me for it, well....it was worth making a second one!!! It's a bit hard to see, but the entire cake was edible. The leaves were made of chocolate, as were the spiders, bugs, cobwebs too. The headstone had the birthdate of the guy the cake was for. . . .

[Image: OVERTHEHILL-HALLOWEEN0001.jpg]

As Bill B. stated, things have finally slowed down for the season. I still have 2 weddings coming up, but that is nothing in comparison to the "busy" season. This is the latest wedding cake, from this weekend, too. . .

[Image: WEDDINGFLORAL.jpg]
Vive Bene! Spesso L'Amore! Di Risata Molto!

Buon Appetito!

Linda
  Re: Fooling around witth my new air brush. . . by MUSICMAKER (Made this cake for a...)
great looking cakes, Linda!!
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Fooling around witth my new air brush. . . by MUSICMAKER (Made this cake for a...)
Stunning, Linda! I can't tell by the pictures, did you use (yuck) fondant on the wedding cake? Boy, that stuff tastes terrible, but it sure makes a smooth looking cake!! (Not being rude here, folks, Linda and I had a discussion about this, when she was kind enough to answer a few of my cake questions, thanks again!)

Nice looking b-day cake, enjoy that airbrush!

PJ
PJ
  Re: Re: Fooling around witth my new air brush. . . by cjs (great looking cakes,...)
Quite innovative, Linda-----some nice talent there!!!
"Never eat more than you can lift" Miss Piggy
  Re: Re: Fooling around witth my new air brush. . . by pjcooks (Stunning, Linda! I ...)
No, PJ, no fondant! It's the Italian Buttercream we talked about. I can't STAND that "STUFF" either. It is nothing but LARD and 10x with a multitude of flavorings, extracts, oils, etc., to TRY and mask the taste of the fat. UGH!

In fact, when my brides come for an interview, I don't even bring fondant up as an option and do my best to avoid the subject when/if it comes up. Yeah, it does make a very pretty cake, but that's about it! Most all the couples just want a cake that tastes good. Plain and simple. That doesn't mean if they want fondant I won't make one. Usually when they get a taste of it they quickly change their mind; or one will still want it and the other will talk the other out of it. And when they learn of what it is made of, that also seals the deal!!! And if a parent is there, especially if they are paying for it, and especially if mom or pop gets a taste of it, the matter is quickly settled!!!

Don't you have a wedding coming up soon? You may not be responsible for paying for the cake but you can help save your babes some $$$. Will let you in on the secret for that!

Nope, this was the buttercream, had hundreds of little "drop" flowers all over it with a pale yellow and very pale lavender centers to the flowers to pick up the real flowers they wanted on the cake. There was also edible glitter on all 4 cakes and it was quite sparkley under the lights....the pix never really pick up all those "fine" touches. It's sad because those touches put the cakes over the edge!

This air brush is so much fun!!!! Biz may be slow but I may be making cakes just to play with this thing!!!

Buon Appetito!

Linda
Wow! Both cakes are really terrific. I really love the Halloween cake! Very creative. I am sure it was fun to do.
"Time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time."
Laura
  Re: Re: Fooling around witth my new air brush. . . by luvnit (Wow! Both cakes are...)
Beautiful cakes, Linda! How many hours do you spend on those wedding cakes? It has to be an awful lot with all the details you put into them.

Maryann
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."
  Re: Re: Fooling around witth my new air brush. . . by Mare749 (Beautiful cakes, Lin...)
The times vary, Maryann, depending on what they want. Like the Halloween cake, that was quick, the air brush knocked off a few hours. Not counting bake time on that cake it took about3 hours, but that includes making the icing, coloring, prepping pastry bags...all that little stuff takes up the time. Once you have your icing made and colored and pastry bags filled and ready to go, there is about an hours worth of "decorating" time on that one. The wedding cake was about 5 hours deco time. That monster bridge wedding cake from about a month ago, that was a 2 day-er! Thanks, all, for the compliments. I just LOVE creating these things!!!

Buon Appetito!

Linda
  Re: Re: Fooling around witth my new air brush. . . by Roxanne 21 (Quite innovative, Li...)
That is amazing! I love the Halloween one as well. We just had some sprinkle and frosting fun with cupcakes this year...nothing that complex. Great work!
  Re: Re: Fooling around witth my new air brush. . . by Roxanne 21 (Quite innovative, Li...)
A baker and an artist all in one! Beats the heck out of my spider cupcakes!

Nice job!
AJ