Does Anyone Do This???
  Re: (...)
Check out "Who's Online" to see what folks are looking at? It brings up some old threads that I've forgotten about. Just a minute ago, saw that someone was looking at the thread for "Butternut Squash and Leek Gratins" - and it sounded interesting I made it last June, and I've forgotten all about it. It was sure good tho, and now I have to make it again.

Anyway, as you can tell, I'm having a slow morning and the mind wanders. Today is Roy Roger's Birthday and I can't wait for him to get up and start the day. He has lots of presents on the table all wrapped up and waiting for him, one I can't 'finish' until later today - a Cheese and wine basket. I've just been so anxious to put it together and give it to him, so you know what our hors will be!

But, the favorite present I think is going to be a picture I ran across going thru his mother's things after she died - a picture of Roy on his Dad's lap with the Christmas train going around them. They were never the closest father and son, and this is one of the few tender moments for them. Roy is 2 years old and they both look so happy. I enlarged it and framed it for him.

Anyway, we'll have a fun day of cooking together, eating and drinking with the neighbors and friends.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Does Anyone Do This??? by cjs (Check out "Who's Onl...)
To answer your question - yes I do that, sometimes - and yes it does remind me of things.

Most importantly! Happy birthday Roy. Give the sweetie a big hug from Bob and I and a kiss along with our birthday wishes. Wow - wish you were here - lovely chocolate cupcakes with peanut butter frosting in the fridge, just waiting for a candle!!! What perfect presents you have planned.
You only live once . . . but if you do it right once should be enough!
  Re: Does Anyone Do This??? by cjs (Check out "Who's Onl...)
Happy Birthday Roy!

Yes, I do look to see what others are looking at online. I am always curious to see what others are doing.

By the way Jean, I am looking for your Red Bread recipe. I thought I copied it and pasted it in my recipe folder. I don't want you to retype it. Just if you have it, send it or post it please. No hurry, and please don't got to any bother over it. I am sure I can find a recipe online if you don't have something handy. Thanks
"Time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time."
Laura
  Re: Re: Does Anyone Do This??? by luvnit (Happy Birthday Roy![...)
OOOOH! I just found it! I found the Red Bread recipe you posted. Only 5 searches and waiting in between times later. But I have it.

I will let you know how it goes.
"Time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time."
Laura
  Re: Re: Does Anyone Do This??? by luvnit (Happy Birthday Roy![...)
Laura, I brought the Red Bread to the top for you. (and I printed it off for myself ).

Happy Birthday to the birthday boy!!! Sounds like a lot of great gifts, Jean!!
Practice safe lunch. Use a condiment.
  Re: Re: Does Anyone Do This??? by Lorraine (Laura, I brought the...)
Oh guys, for brunch I made the Mini Ham & Cheese Biscuits with Apple Salsa (Issue #66, page 44) - this is a great brunch item!! I added a pinch or two of cayenne to the salsa and it's a good flavor!

Also with the brunch, those who watched the Iron Chef America, do you remember the chef we just talked about last week that worked with the Chilean fruit Carica?? I got on line the next a.m. and ordered two jars and they came yesterday - perfect timing! Is this a great fruit! I wrapped slices with proscuitto and had with the mini-ham sandwiches. I'll post the mail order address if anyone is interested. Boy, it's good.

I sure wish more of you were retired, so I didn't feel like I was rubbing anyone's nose in the fact that we, being so darn old, have the best life there is to have. Hurry up!!
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Does Anyone Do This??? by cjs (Oh guys, for brunch ...)
HAPPY BIRTHDAY ROY!!!!!!! What an awesome partner you have to think about those "special" moments in one's life---including the ones to come!!!! May you have many more together!!!

Jean---those delights sound wonderful----ENJOY your day!!

WE ARE RETIRED and it is THE BEST LIFE ever!!!! I think we are allowed to gloat a little bit---
"Never eat more than you can lift" Miss Piggy
  Re: Re: Does Anyone Do This??? by cjs (Oh guys, for brunch ...)
Quote:

I sure wish more of you were retired, so I didn't feel like I was rubbing anyone's nose in the fact that we, being so darn old, have the best life there is to have. Hurry up!!

I'm not retired, Jean, but am "permanently" disabled, and THIS is the best life!

And, please post that address!
Vive Bene! Spesso L'Amore! Di Risata Molto!

Buon Appetito!

Linda
  Re: Re: Does Anyone Do This??? by Roxanne 21 (HAPPY BIRTHDAY ROY!!...)
Happy birthday Roy. Give him a hug for me, but make him shave first.
Don't wait too long to tell someone you love them.

Billy
  Re: Re: Does Anyone Do This??? by bjcotton (Happy birthday Roy. ...)
" but make him shave first. " - he glared at me when I told him he had to change his shirt to have his birthday pix taken...don't know whether to push him THAT far, BillyJ!!

Here's where I order the Carica from - I can't quite picking at them - what a great flavor!

http://chefswarehouse.com/
www.achefsjourney.com