Oyster Stuffing/Dressing
  Re: (...)
I FINALLY FOUND IT!! Can't remember now which thread we were talking about it, so here goes.

Oyster Stuffing

4 qts. large soft bread crumbs (geez, 4 qts. - this is such an old misnomer - I just use a nice size loaf and a half of bread and I also toast it and then tear it up in pieces)
2 pints oysters
1 1/3 cups butter
1/4 cup chopped parsley
2 T. chopped onion - I used ~1/4 cup
1/4 - 1/2 tsp. savory seasoning
1/4 tsp. celery seed
2 1/2 to 3 tsp. salt
Pepper to taste

Prepare bread crumbs.
Heat oysters gently in their own liquid a few minutes.
Drain.
Melt butter; add parsley and onion. Cook till tansparent.
Mix all ingredients together lightly. Makes enough stuffing for 14 to 18 lb. turkey.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Oyster Stuffing/Dressing by cjs (I FINALLY FOUND IT!!...)
we made an oyster dressing, which I thought was pretty good so I copied the recipe:

2 oysters w/ liquor
3 cups corn bread
3 slices bacon
1/2 c. butter
2 celery stalks
2 t. salt
3 T flat leaf parsley
1 T fresh thyme
2 T dry white vermouth.

That was the entire recipe. Is it possible I had too much holiday cheer before I copied it? I leave that assessment to you. I'm guessing that 2 means 2 cups or pints of oysters.

I copied no directions, but I've been making stuffing for 30+ years so I guess I figured I knew how to combine the ingredients. I know when I got home and read the directions I said to myself "what on earth were you thinking when you wrote this down?" I obviously wasn't.
  Re: A couple of years ago by lxxf (we made an oyster dr...)
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: A couple of years ago by cjs ( [img]/ubbthreads/im...)
Thanks you guys. I am so excited to try this oyster dressing on Thanksgiving. Yum-yum
"Time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time."
Laura