Attention kitchen chemists!
  Re: (...)
I have a question from my son-in-law which I cannot answer. While I was visiting, my son-in-law was preparing a pot roast and I asked if I could take the meat out to let it warm up before browning. He asked me why. I couldn't really answer him except to say, I've read it in a million places to bring the meat out at least 20 minutes before cooking it. He said he had read it too, but didn't believe it and asked me if I knew what the difference is and does it really matter.

He's a computer scientist involved in teaching and research and you must prove everything to him. So, I'm looking for help here.
  Re: Attention kitchen chemists! by lxxf (I have a question fr...)
My understanding is that the meat will cook more evenly from the outside in if it is not ice cold. Could be mistaken - but we usually bring the meat out at least 30 minutes before cooking.
You only live once . . . but if you do it right once should be enough!
  Re: Attention kitchen chemists! by lxxf (I have a question fr...)
Biggest reason for roasts is it raises the saturation point of the food. The warmer it starts the higher the dew point. The higher the dew point, the less water loss during the initial heating stage. So a roast that starts frozen, it will pass quickly through a temperature range, causing water loss at a higher rate then meat starting out at say 50 degrees. Long dew point formula involving heat rates and time temperature threshholds. But basically the colder it starts the more moisture it will lose in the initial heating phase.

The evenness of cooking that has already been mentioned is affected as mentioned. But the dew point is the big deal in the commercial kitchen.
Chef de Cuisine
The Cowboy and The Rose Catering

USMC Sgt 1979-1985
  Re: Re: Attention kitchen chemists! by bbally (Biggest reason for r...)
this is just the kind of explanation that will satisfy him. I will copy and paste this to him. I've been doing it for years also, I just never questioned the rationale for it.

PS: Thank you also, Sharon.

Sally
  Re: Thank you so much by lxxf (this is just the kin...)
I should also mention that thermodynamics is at play here as well. The big deal is still moisture loss. But the warmer the start the more effecient the heat transfer. This is the "even roasting" mentioned earlier.
Chef de Cuisine
The Cowboy and The Rose Catering

USMC Sgt 1979-1985
  Re: Re: Thank you so much by bbally (I should also mentio...)
We were taught that cold meat will seize when placed into a hot pan, or grill etc. This seizing causes the muscle to contract thus releasing moisture, which will cause the end result to be tougher and dryer.

Allowing the meat to rest out of the refridgerator for 30 minutes up to an hour allows the meat to relax and hold it's moisture.

Keep in mind also that 'browning' meats does help meat retain moisture while cooking. A lot of folks think that if they brown a roast it will stay juicier as the flavors are locked in. Not so. All browning does is add a layer of flavor. Which I think is very necessary for overall taste.