Corned Venison - (or any corned meat for that matt
  Re: (...)
Has anyone corned venison? or any meat? I plan on corning a couple of deer hind quarters.

Any advice or recipe would be a huge help. Thanks.
"Time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time."
Laura
  Re: Corned Venison - (or any corned meat for that matt by luvnit (Has anyone corned ve...)
I have never attempted that, Laura. Sure would love to know what you come up with!!!

BTW---who got the deer??? Minnesota--you're not my sister, are you??? (her name is Laura and lives in Minnesota, too!!!--how strange, weird!!)

Every year, when I lived on our farm in New Hampshire, it was a yearly ritual to have all of the uncles obtain a deer license. They (each) would bring one back on the car's hood and we would have venison all year round.

To this day I cannot eat wild game---something "gamey" about the taste that doesn't agree with my taste buds--Sad

Love corned beef though---Smile
"Never eat more than you can lift" Miss Piggy
  Re: Corned Venison - (or any corned meat for that matt by luvnit (Has anyone corned ve...)
All the men in our family used to hunt every November...they couldn't wait. They were such avid hunters that my Dad went out and purchased property up north where they all could go and hunt "freely"...places they used to go they had to pay "rent" to hunt, and more $$ if they wanted to use the blinds....I hated that time of year....the house smelled for months of dead pheasant, rabbit, deer, squirrel....and the women were all in charge of the cleaning, canning, jerky making, freezing/wrapping....

I tossed all our recipes out....most of the guys are gone now and my kids want nothing to do with hunting...my older brother still does...even hunted bear and buffalo when he lived in Missouri (would travel north to Canada for that). My mom may still have the recipes and my brother surely would. Will see what I can get for you from both of them. May take a day or so, if you want to wait...???
Vive Bene! Spesso L'Amore! Di Risata Molto!

Buon Appetito!

Linda
  Re: Re: Corned Venison - (or any corned meat for that matt by MUSICMAKER (All the men in our f...)
OK, Laura, mom had the venison jerky at her fingertips....bro sacked himself a doe over the weekend....(sniff, sniff, sniff...)

Let me know if you want that one. She's going to look for the others.

The deer is at the butcher and will be ready Monday or Tues for them to pick up. He wants venison stew so she has to find that recipe anyway. That is not bad....I'm like Roxanne, to "gamey" for the taste buds but that stew recipe really is good. The guy who gave it to my bro owns this sports bar and he serves venison there and the stew is one of his top sellers. He gave his recipe to my brother. It has brown sugar in it and according to this guy, THAT is supposed to be the "secret ingredient" that greatly diminishes or even removes near completely, the "wild" taste of the venison. Don't know about that, but, it is good. Await to hear if you want it.....

Buon Appetito!

Linda
  Re: Re: Corned Venison - (or any corned meat for that matt by MUSICMAKER (OK, Laura, mom had t...)
We also used to be a hunting family - haven't for years and have not thought of the recipes for a long time. I love venison, but have never corned it. I'll be anxious to hear if you find a source for that, Laura.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
Laura, Mom emailed the recipes -- here is what she sent:

venison jerky
venison sausage
venison stew
pickled venison (think this is the "corned" recipe -- based on the ingredients and procedure)
venison chili

If you want any of these, advise, and will post them here for you!

Buon Appetito!

Linda
  Re: Laura, here are the recipes by MUSICMAKER (Laura, Mom emailed t...)
I hope she asks for the pickled version - hint, hint, hint
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Laura, here are the recipes by cjs (I hope she asks for ...)
Here ya go, Jean. And Laura, and. . . . . . .
This tastes like "corned" venison....think the "pickling" in the recipe title is based on the pickling spice. Venison is NOT my cup of tea, but this recipe is good, if one must admit! If anyone makes it, let me know how you like it!

PICKLED VENISON (Corned Venison)

INGREDIENTS:

One venison roast, approx 5-6 pounds or two smaller ones at 3 pounds each.
1/4 to 1/3 cup brown sugar
1/3 cup Morton’s tender quick or meat tenderizer
1 tablespoon black pepper, fresh cracked
2-3 teaspoons whole black peppercorns
1 teaspoon paprika, sweet or smoked
2-3 bay leaves
3 tablespoons pickling spice
2 teaspoons whole allspice berries
1/2 teaspoon ground allspice
1 tablespoon minced garlic

DIRECTIONS:

1. Mix dry ingredients and rub on the meat.
2. Place in a zippy bag and place in refrig.
3. Several times per day, take zip bag and move meat around in all the spices and juices. Return to refrig. Let venison “cure” for a minimum of 5 days and up to 10 days.
4. When ready to cook, remove venison from the plastic bag and rinse under cold water (to remove the salt. Will be too salty if you don’t rinse it)
5. Place venison in a large stock pot and cover with cold water.
6. Add 1 or 2 heaping tablespoons of pickling spice to the pot, more peppercorns (2 teaspoons), 1 teaspoon allspice berries, and 2 bay leaves.
7. Bring pot to a boil, lower heat to a steady simmer and let cook until done and tender, about 3-4 hours.

NOTES: The 8 or 9 day mark seems to be the best for the curing. This recipe has been requested by so many hunters after tasting this! Even die hard non-venison consumers have been converted.

Edit: If anyone is interested in any of the other venison recipes, that being the stew, chili, jerky, & sausage, please ask soon because I am not hanging on to them! There are no more hunters, except for my brother but these are his recipes!, and I have no reason to keep them. So if you are interested. . . . . .

Buon Appetito!

Linda
  Re: Venison recipe by MUSICMAKER (Here ya go, Jean. A...)
thanks Linda, that's all I wanted to see.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Venison recipe by cjs (thanks Linda, that's...)
Thanks Linda, my hubbie is getting ready for deer season at the end of the month. Goes to Pa. every year for a week with his dad, so we usually have venison in the freezer. I'm looking forward to trying that one.

Maryann
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."