UGH! ! ! Electric stoves!!!
  Re: (...)
Do any of you have an electric stove? This condo we just moved into late this summer has an electric stove/oven and it is driving me bonkers. Was going to change it to gas but Michigan law took care of that! (Apparently no gas is permitted in multi-dwellings...same with the BBQ's, and no "live" Christmas trees!) This alone is enough to make one want to move!!!

This stove is ruining my cookware! All-Clad stainless but the bottoms now have the ringlets from the burners branded on them! I cannot get those off! Does anyone have any suggestions for electric cooking??? Would appreciate any tips!
Vive Bene! Spesso L'Amore! Di Risata Molto!

Buon Appetito!

Linda
  Re: UGH! ! ! Electric stoves!!! by MUSICMAKER (Do any of you have a...)
I have an electric stove. Just moved to a glass top. We do not have gas in our area. A little soft scrub or commet or maybe even bar keeps friend and one of those green scrub pads on the bottom of the pots might clean them right up. I am sure there is a natural version to - salt of baking powder and lemon and the scratchy pad.

Depends on your problem with your stove. My old one, you had to cook everything on high. It was so old and had no umph left in it. My mom's is slow to heat up but gets hot and runs hot. So she will pre-heat on a higher heat and then turn it down for cooking. You will never get a good low heat setting. With my new stove I will often pull the pan off for a moment to cool off before de-glazing - or what ever I am deglazing with will just evaporate. You often have to just keep messing with the temp - up, down, up , down. My new stove top and convection oven is by far way better than any other electric I have had - but nothing compares to cooking with gas.

What are some of your main problems when cooking?
Erin
Mom to three wonderful 7th graders!
The time is flying by.
Oh geeze Linda! I'd figure out how to sneak a little propane burner or two in and a couple of those little bottles. I can remember when we set up a propane camp stove on top of the electric stove so I could cook. Darn stove sucked electricity like you wouldn't belive!
You only live once . . . but if you do it right once should be enough!
Well, I have electric too... UGH is right. But I do also have a glass top and glass-top comes with its problems also. I will tell you them if you need to know.

Anyway, I don't get rings, but I do get some dark discoloration on occasion and I use the Magic Erasers. They seem to do wonderful job.

Good luck to you. I know it $uck$ when you ruin an expensive pot or pan.
"Time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time."
Laura
  Re: Re: UGH! ! ! Electric stoves!!! by esgunn (I have an electric s...)
Well I am glad to hear I am not alone!!!

First, it is DIFFICULT to go from gas all your life to electric! It just doesn't cook the same and as mentioned, there is no "control" of the heat! I do the same thing you do, Erin....take the pot/pan off the burner and "wave" it in the air a few minutes to cool it down!!! Good thing nobody can see me doing this!!!

The stove is brand new, it is all digital, self cleaning oven, you know, all the new toys. What it is doing to my pots and pans is leaving the ring marks as I mentioned but also the interior is turning dark and dingy looking. I will have to try the Magic eraser thing. These pots/pans are not cheap and when I bought them just after Christmas, it was a huge decision, but gave in to them with the thought they would have to out live me!!! They way this stove is going, that may NOT be the case!!!

I do have a Coleman dual burner out in the garage!!! Sharon, you sneak! I may just do that. I did try to get the gas stove in here but the problem is the gas line would have to be run (we do have gas hot water heater and gas dryer, so go figure!). To run the line would mean a pro coming out and they are not going to risk their license just because I don't like my stove!!! I did call several and was told the same. Too bad my ex father-in-law is no longer here. He worked for the gas co! He did connect our gas BBQ, stove, etc., when we had our house built. Unbelievable what they charge to do that!!!

I have burned so much food with this thing it's not funny! Lost count on how many times the smoke detectorS (!) went off! Deafening when all 5 start screaming and at different tempos! Poor puppy's ears!

Do the glass tops have as much heat control issues as the "coil" burners?

So those are my dilemmas! Would appreciate any "secrets" to these things!!!

Buon Appetito!

Linda
  Re: Re: UGH! ! ! Electric stoves!!! by MUSICMAKER (Well I am glad to he...)
Linda, if I were you, I'd move!!!
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: UGH! ! ! Electric stoves!!! by cjs (Linda, if I were you...)
Jean that would be my next suggestion! There is no way in freakin' he!! I'd ever go back to cooking on an electric stove. My oldest daughter has one, the glass top kind - what a joke!
  Re: Re: UGH! ! ! Electric stoves!!! by cjs (Linda, if I were you...)
I'm about ready to, Jean! And that is the dog-gone truth!!! No joking here! The stove is the joke! Well put, Sharon! And I really am thinking about that Coleman!!! Just trying to think of where I can get the propane for it now, this time of the year! Have to get the fingers "walking" ! ! !

Buon Appetito!

Linda
  Re: Re: UGH! ! ! Electric stoves!!! by MUSICMAKER (Well I am glad to he...)
It's been so long, Linda, that I cooked on coils, I can't remember if I had that problem, but in those days, I was using cast aluminum (Club) pans, not that it matters, I suppose. I've been cooking on a glass top for a long time, and still have some heat retention that I don't like, but I've learned to get the pan off the burner right away. (Still hard to remember after using the old Garland at work all day, you'e right about the difficulty going from gas to electric)

I don't remember having the ring problem, though, maybe it was my choice of pans at the time. I don't know if they make those anymore, they were pretty heavy, and many years old.

Not much help, am I???

Good luck, Barkeepers Friend does seem to work for every thing else for me, hopefully this, too.

PJ
PJ
  Re: Re: UGH! ! ! Electric stoves!!! by MUSICMAKER (I'm about ready to, ...)
Camping and RV supply places should have propane. Walmart usually has the small bottles, and Costco used to have them too. Do you have Orchard Supply & Hardware???? I know they have them.

Here I am fomenting rebellion yup! Give me gas or take me out!