Thawing meat and poultry.....
  Re: (...)
Just wondering how you all do it? Too often, I forget to take something out of the freezer, then end up trying to thaw it in the microwave or in cold water.

Maryann
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."
  Re: Thawing meat and poultry..... by Mare749 (Just wondering how y...)
I have used the microwave on it's lowest setting, power level 1. I'm usually cooking the meat as soon as it's thawed. I find it better than the defrost mode, which tends to cook the meat around the edges.
Practice safe lunch. Use a condiment.
  Re: Re: Thawing meat and poultry..... by Lorraine (I have used the micr...)
We must have lucked out - when we moved on the boat we got this dumb little 40.00 microwave just because it would fit on the boat(we have a beautiful big Panasonic but it was in storage). This little thing defrosts by ounces and does it perfectly every time! First time I've ever had a microwave that defrosted anything (let alone EVERYTHING) perfectly. I think it's an Emerson or something - got it at Target.
You only live once . . . but if you do it right once should be enough!
  Re: Re: Thawing meat and poultry..... by Harborwitch (We must have lucked ...)
Of course prefer the overnite in the frig, but for fast, I use the microwave on defrost, but I keep a timer and check it every two minutes so I don't end up cooking it.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Thawing meat and poultry..... by Mare749 (Just wondering how y...)
Same way, Maryann....usually take "it" out the evening before, at dinner time, so it is unthawed by prep time. I use the micro but not that often for defrosting. And the way I was raised, we would go to the market every other day and get whatever for the next 2 days. I still do that. There at 7:30 and get the "freshest" pick of the fruits and veggies. The only time we really freeze meat of any kind is if there is a sale on something we absolutely love. No canned or boxed food in here. I wouldn't know how to "cook" it for one!!! About a week ago #2 brought home a box of Hamburger Helper and wanted that. Ugh....the SALT in that stuff! He ate the whole dog gone pan full and wanted more, went searching the pantry and came out like a dog with his tail between his legs!!!
Vive Bene! Spesso L'Amore! Di Risata Molto!

Buon Appetito!

Linda
  Re: Re: Thawing meat and poultry..... by MUSICMAKER (Same way, Maryann......)
The best way to thaw something is to place it under lightly running water. Alton Brown had a great demonstration of that once. I tried it, and have been doing it that way ever since.

The principle involved is that of heat exchange. You don't need hot water - regular tap water is going to be warmer than something that's frozen. As the water runs over the item, it imparts heat to the item, thus becoming cooler. Since it is running water, however, that means fresh water is immediately available to exchange more heat into the item. It's amazing how quickly this works, even with a full chicken or a good-sized roast.

For the sake of reference, for those who may be able to find it somewhere, the Alton Brown show where he did that demonstration was the Good Eats episode, "What's Up, Duck?" HERE is a transcript, for those who are interested.
If blueberry muffins have blueberries in them, what do vegan muffins have?
  Re: Re: Thawing meat and poultry..... by labradors (The best way to thaw...)
Labs, I just LOVE Alton Brown! He is on daily here, several times -- once in the a.m. at 9, then at 7 p.m., 11 p.m. and then again at 1 a.m.! Sometimes they are the same show all 4 times but most of the time they are all different. He is on "auto record" here in case I miss one. I like him because he gives the origin of a food item, all the history around it and then several recipes, some of which are the old fashion way and then a recipe for today. Very versitle! And his sense of humor is great! He's such a gas!!! Kind of reminds me of you, Labs!!!
Vive Bene! Spesso L'Amore! Di Risata Molto!

Buon Appetito!

Linda
  Re: Re: Thawing meat and poultry..... by MUSICMAKER (Labs, I just LOVE Al...)
Quote:

Kind of reminds me of you, Labs!!!

LOL! I don't have a contract for a Food Network TV series, though. LOL!
If blueberry muffins have blueberries in them, what do vegan muffins have?
  Re: Re: Thawing meat and poultry..... by labradors ([blockquote]Quote:[h...)
"The best way to thaw" - gotta disagree here, lab - to me, it makes no sense to let water run to thaw something out - what a waste of a resouce. No matter how little the trickle.

Oh how I hated to have to do it when I was working, I'd always cringe.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Thawing meat and poultry..... by cjs ("The best way to tha...)
" what a waste of a resouce "

Have to agree with Jean on this one. I pay premium price for water coming out of the tap AND water going down the drain, double wammy. I did see a Chef slack off pheasant, but, I think the water has to be a certain temperature, and it took awhile. Jean, Elsner did it on VA.
Practice safe lunch. Use a condiment.