Food safe sanitizers
  Re: (...)
Does anyone use these? I just noticed that Lysol came out with this sometime this past year and haven't tried it yet. I have a spray bottle with bleach and water that I use in the kitchen, but since I hate the smell, always end up opening a window.

Maryann
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."
  Re: Food safe sanitizers by Mare749 (Does anyone use thes...)
We tried them, but I find they leave a sticky residue. I use a small container of hot water with a bit of detergent and bleach . When working, I keep my dish cloth in it and use it to wipe down the counter.
Practice safe lunch. Use a condiment.
  Re: Re: Food safe sanitizers by Lorraine (We tried them, but I...)
I use a commercial sanitizer around the kitchen.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Food safe sanitizers by cjs (I use a commercial s...)
I thought you might. But where do you buy it? I could probably check Gordon's food service.
Maryann

Re: Re: Food safe sanitizers by Mare749 (I thought you might....)
Gordon's is where I get it.

Tried the Lysol stuff, had a coupon for a free bottle. Save your $$$. You have to leave it on for 10 minutes for you to obtain the "optimal" sanitization, and then you have to RINSE whatever you just sanitized, which in my mind would be recontamination as no dish cloth or paper towel is sanitary and especially if you have a sinkfull of hot soapy water to rinse the towel in...and there is also the sticky issue that someone also mentioned.

If you want something from the grocery store, they have these Clorox wipes either in one of those plastic canister dispenser or in resealable plastic wrapped holders. No rinse with those and they come in different scents. Have used those in the past.
Vive Bene! Spesso L'Amore! Di Risata Molto!

Buon Appetito!

Linda
  Re: Food safe sanitizers by Mare749 (Does anyone use thes...)
Maryann, I had a talk about this with a fellow who runs this store www.cleanreport.com, when my son was undergoing chemotherapy and I had to keep the house as sanitized as possible. I bought a disinfectant called Clear Lemon which was developed for use in the medical industry. He said for most cases, if a surface is clean and dry, bacteria will not grow. Most of the time, I just use full-strength anti-bacterial dishwashing liqud, rinse it down well and dry my countertops. I still have some of the lemon disinfectant and I throw in a capfull with our underwear. I hope that helps.

Sally
  Re: Re: Food safe sanitizers by lxxf (Maryann, I had a tal...)
Maryann, I buy Grffin Bros Lobacten Sanitizer from a restaurant supply house.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Food safe sanitizers by cjs (Maryann, I buy Grffi...)
they have these Clorox wipes either in one of those plastic canister dispenser

I've tried them also. IMO, just as bad as the Lysol.

Jean, if / when i get to restaurant supply store, I'll check it out. Thanks for the idea.
Practice safe lunch. Use a condiment.
  Re: Re: Food safe sanitizers by Lorraine (they have these Clor...)
Thanks for the tip, Jean. I'll look for that at Gordons and if they don't have it, Ron can pick it up for me at a restaurant supply near his work. They closed the one by me.

I always have a canister of clorox wipes around. I find them very handy for wiping doorknobs, cleaning the phones, and wiping down the grandbabies toys that I keep here for them to play with. They have a new streak free version that works pretty well.
Maryann

Re: Re: Food safe sanitizers by Mare749 (Thanks for the tip, ...)
You have to be very careful with bleach on granite or marble. The porous materials will retain the bleach and turn them yellow.

For granite and marple a mixture of soap and water. 1 part soap to 5 parts water.

They also have disinfectent wipes for granite and marble.

I use Simple Green. It can be use full strength or diluted.