Grandmother Pearl's Swedish Meatballs.
  Re: (...)
Grandmother Pearl's Swedish Meatballs.

My Grandmother used to make these for my Grandfather and I think they were his favorite things. She usually served them with buttered carrots. Mom always said these were Swedish meatballs, but I’m wondering if they aren’t more Danish – like my Grandfather.

They aren’t exactly diet food – but we don’t have them often so the splurge on the butter isn’t so bad. The meatballs are delicate and tender, and with homemade noodles they are spectacular.

1 1/2 C. soft bread crumbs
1 C Milk, evaporated milk, or cream
Combine in a large mixer bowl and let soak until the liquid is absorbed.

1 3/4 C chopped onion
2 cloves garlic minced
3 TBS butter
Saute onions and garlic in butter just until soft, season with salt & pepper to taste. Set aside and let cool.

1 3/4 lb ground beef, or ground beef and pork, or ground chicken or turkey.
1 1/2 tsp ground cardamom,
1 egg
1 tsp black pepper
4 tsp dill weed
1 tsp fresh ground black pepper
salt to taste
Combine in the mixer bowl the bread crumbs are in, adding the onions & butter. Using paddle attachment combine until well mixed.

Melt 3 TBS butter in a large skillet over medium heat. Shape meatballs and cook turning until done. Remove to bowl and keep warm until all the meatballs are done adding more butter as needed.

When all the meatballs are cooked add 3TBS butter or enough to the drippings to make 4 TBS. Add 4TBS flour and cook over medium heat.

Heat 2 cups milk and stir into roux until smooth. Add 1/4 tsp ground cardamom and 1 tsp dillweed, and salt & fresh ground pepper to taste. Return meatballs to sauce and heat through. Serve over parsleyed noodles, rice, or mashed potatoes.

Photobucket was slow today - I'll try to upload a photo or two tomorrow
You only live once . . . but if you do it right once should be enough!
  Re: Grandmother Pearl's Swedish Meatballs. by Harborwitch (Grandmother Pearl's ...)
Why does this give me the urge to watch the Muppet Show ("Bork, bork bork!")?
If blueberry muffins have blueberries in them, what do vegan muffins have?
  Re: Re: Grandmother Pearl's Swedish Meatballs. by labradors (Why does this give m...)
Must be all the cardamom????
  Re: Re: Grandmother Pearl's Swedish Meatballs. by Harborwitch (Must be all the card...)
Could be. Love the stuff. On the coffee farms in the mountains, here, they also grow cardamom. The stores also have hard candies of cardamom (also of tamarind, guava, or passionfruit).
  Re: Re: Grandmother Pearl's Swedish Meatballs. by labradors (Could be. Love the ...)
I adore it too! Love anything with cardamom in it. I cannot imagine a candy - that would be too much joy - NOT!!
  Re: Re: Grandmother Pearl's Swedish Meatballs. by Harborwitch (I adore it too! Lov...)
The sad part is not only the number of people not familiar with cardamom, but especially the number of people who only associate it with cookies and breads, but have never tried it with MEAT!
  Re: Re: Grandmother Pearl's Swedish Meatballs. by labradors (The sad part is not ...)
The Ethiopian food that Jean and I were doing used Cardamom in a beef stew - and there are lots of recipes that I'm dying to try with it. One of my fave ways to cook butternut squash is to steam it over chai teabags - I think mostly because of the cardamom.

I just bought some green cardamom pods at the Indian grocery and just love to open the jar and SNIFF I also want to do a pilaf with basmati, pistachios, dried cranberries, and cardamom. Oh, and Aebelskiver are not fit to eat unless they have lots of cardamom (I like to use about double). Hmmmm!

These meatballs are absolutely MADE by the cardamom! I have a lovely shrimp recipe that uses cardamom along with tons of other seasonings. It's from a Danish cookbook - and they are so good. I'll try to post it when I get a chance.
  Re: Re: Grandmother Pearl's Swedish Meatballs. by Harborwitch (The Ethiopian food t...)
Quote:

The Ethiopian food that Jean and I were doing used Cardamom in a beef stew.

Would like to try that some time. I love Moroccan cuisine, have seen some Ethiopian recipes, and can tell I would love that, too, but just haven't actually tried any yet. Those Northern African foods certainly have some wonderful flavour blends.
  Re: Re: Grandmother Pearl's Swedish Meatballs. by labradors ([blockquote]Quote:[h...)
yes, they do!!

The meatballs sound very good Sharon.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Grandmother Pearl's Swedish Meatballs. by Harborwitch (Grandmother Pearl's ...)
I am going to make these today. They sound just really good to me. I did some mini research on Danish Meatballs and found this out.

From Wikipedia~
Danish meatballs are known as frikadeller and are typically fried, and they are usually made out of ground pork, veal, onions, eggs, salt and pepper, these are formed into balls and flattened somewhat, so they are pan ready. Below is a photo of Danish Meatballs.
[Image: 300px-Frikadeller.jpg]

I found plenty of Swedish Meatball recipes with Cardamom. But I also found Danish Meatball recipes with Cardamom.

I am so glad I cleared that cleared that up for everyone
"Time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time."
Laura