Grandmother Pearl's Swedish Meatballs.
  Re: Re: Grandmother Pearl's Swedish Meatballs. by luvnit (I am going to make t...)
Grandmother also made frikadeller, but hers were egg shaped and I recall they had rice in them and different seasonings.

I have my eyes on a Danish cookbook - one that my Mother used. There were a lot of great recipes in there.
You only live once . . . but if you do it right once should be enough!
  Re: Re: Grandmother Pearl's Swedish Meatballs. by luvnit (I am going to make t...)
Quote:

But I also found Danish Meatball recipes with Cardamom.

I first got hooked on cardamom about 30 years ago, with those now-ubiquitous Danish butter cookies. They had such a great, unique taste that I decided to read the ingredients. At that time, I just said "cardaWHAT?" Then, my mom made a sweet, braided, Finnish bread that used cardamom, and I became even further entranced with this fantastic drug...er...spice. Of course, you can imagine my reaction when (without knowing what it was) I encountered WHOLE cardamom in some food at an Indian restaurant!

Unfortunately, the Danish butter cookies stopped using cardamom years ago. They're still great cookies, but just not the same.

So: Sweden, Denmark, Finland - yes, it seems Scandinavians certainly have a way with cardamom!
If blueberry muffins have blueberries in them, what do vegan muffins have?
  Re: Re: Grandmother Pearl's Swedish Meatballs. by labradors ([blockquote]Quote:[h...)
Have you seen that commercial where the young man said he asked his father how he wanted to celebrate his 60th birthday and the father said he had always wanted to see the land of his ancestors, Denmark. So the young man whips out his Visa card and off they go, and you see them standing in beautiful countrysides, pushing an entire herring on a plate back and forth away from each other, dancing with women in folkloric costumes. He said it was a great vacation until they went to the hall of records and discovered they were Swedish! Out comes the credit card again. I howled when I saw commercial. Your recipe reminded me of that, but it sounds good. I've seen recipes for Swedish meatballs with grape jelly.
  Re: Re: Grandmother Pearl's Swedish Meatballs. by lxxf (Have you seen that c...)
a Norwegian would never be THAT screwed up!!!!!
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Grandmother Pearl's Swedish Meatballs. by Harborwitch (Grandmother Pearl's ...)
Well, I did manage to make these wonderful meatballs this evening before running off to my daughter's first Girl Scout meeting.

Luvnit Review:
Loved them! They were absolutely the MOST tender meatballs I have ever had in my entire life. And I do NOT meat mushy-tender. They had a wonderful firm texture. I would say they were perfect meatballs. The sauce was rich and luscious. My hubby loved it and I could barely snap this picture taken before he inhaled it. The recipe made 60 meatballs!

[Image: meatballs.jpg]

Thank you Harborwitch for sharing this. I believe I will use the base of this recipe the next time I make Italian meatballs. The texture of these were sheer perfection!
"Time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time."
Laura
  Re: Re: Grandmother Pearl's Swedish Meatballs. by luvnit (Well, I did manage t...)
looks delicious!!
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Grandmother Pearl's Swedish Meatballs. by luvnit (Well, I did manage t...)
Laura I am so glad you enjoyed them! When I used to go home to visit Mom I always requested these - she gave me the recipe so I could make them myself. I lost the card years ago but they are in my genes and I can make them in my sleep.

I do think the mixer method made much better meatballs than the usual glop 'em by hand!

Thank you for the wonderful review!
You only live once . . . but if you do it right once should be enough!
  Re: Grandmother Pearl's Swedish Meatballs. by Harborwitch (Grandmother Pearl's ...)
Sharon, these sound fantastic!!! Laura's photo sold me! Was looking for something for dinner for the weekend...this fits the bill!
Vive Bene! Spesso L'Amore! Di Risata Molto!

Buon Appetito!

Linda
They look great!! I'd really love to make these, but you all know Picky, anyone want to come to dinner??

Thanks for the review, Laura, and Sharon, too!!

PJ
PJ
  Re: Re: Grandmother Pearl's Swedish Meatballs. by Harborwitch (Laura I am so glad y...)
Mmmmmm I just had some leftovers and they are so good. This will be a keeper for our family.

Thanks!
"Time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time."
Laura