Mac & Cheese
  Re: (...)
Hey everyone, I'm new here Greetings!

Does anyone have a recipe for mac & cheese using cream cheese in it? I had that one year and it was pretty good. I think I may want to make it this year.
  Re: Mac & Cheese by CaliLiving (Hey everyone, I'm ne...)
Hi CaliLiving and welcome to the boards!

Yes another Califorian!!

I wish I had a recipe like that I bet it's yummy and I'm sure someone here will have it for you.
  Re: Re: Mac & Cheese by DFen911 (Hi CaliLiving and we...)
Don't have one with cream cheese, but I can tell you how we made Mac & Cheese at the restaurant where I worked.

The amounts of everything were rather "free form" and, of course, much more than one would use at home (i.e. one or two 6" hotel pans at a time - in other words, Mac & Cheese by the gallon), but you should be able to do a very good facsimile of this even if you start with one of the el-cheapo boxed mixes.

First, make a sauce using the powdered cheddar cheese mix. In the restaurant, we used Nestle's "Trio," but that is not available to home consumers (unless you can find a good restaurant-supply store that may have some). In this case, the big bag of Trio says to mix it into four quarts of boiling water. FORGET THAT! We used FIVE quarts of boiling (i.e. scalded) HEAVY CREAM!!! This is one rich, creamy sauce!

Cook and drain the macaroni.

Mix JUST enough cheese sauce into the macaroni so that the macaroni are not completely swimming.

Add in generous amounts of Mozzarella and Fontina cheeses (we used the already shredded blend of Mozzarella and Fontina that we usually used on our pizzas).

Add in a generous amount of freshly ground Parmigiano-Reggiano.

Stir it all together well, cover with foil (if you happen to have plastic wrap that can withstand heat as the restaurant-grade stuff will, cover with the plastic wrap, THEN the foil - it prevents sticking to the foil), then bake until the internal temperature is at least 140F.

At this point, we would usually hold it in the Alto-Shaam until needed, then place some of it into a smaller tray for use on the line.

Just before serving, remove the foil (and plastic, if used), and cover the Mac & Cheese with a generous layer of Mozzarella and Fontina followed by a generous amount of Parmigiano-Reggiano, then put the whole thing under the broiler to melt the added cheese layer (and make it crispy, too). In the restaurant, we would do this last step on the line by putting the tray into the 675F, wood-fired, beehive pizza oven.
If blueberry muffins have blueberries in them, what do vegan muffins have?
  Re: Re: Mac & Cheese by labradors (Don't have one with ...)
Welcome Cali - now just between us, what the heck does
"I work with Grey Poupon " mean????

I would think adding a tub of cream cheese to your favorite mac & cheese sauce would be wonderful!!
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Mac & Cheese by cjs (Welcome Cali - now j...)
Hi Cali, glad to meet you. We have a most favorite way of making mac and cheese, and tho' it doesn't ask for cream cheese you could easily add it and it would be yummy.
Boil elbows in salted water with frozen broccoli, drain and stir in 1 can cream mush soup, a little milk (this'd be the time to add the cream cheese) a bit of butter and lots of your favorite shredded cheese and fold over low heat till creamy. YUM
My kids would have subsisted solely on this if I'd have let them
Cis
Cis
Empress for Life
  Re: Re: Mac & Cheese by farnfam (Hi Cali, glad to mee...)
Um...Jean where did you see Grey Poupon?

**looks in Jean's wine glass**
  Re: Re: Mac & Cheese by DFen911 (Um...Jean where did ...)
Welcome to our world! It's a great place.

Denise, the poupon is right next to your "Califorian." Jean's had to much wine and your fingers are blind
Don't wait too long to tell someone you love them.

Billy
  Re: Re: Mac & Cheese by DFen911 (Um...Jean where did ...)
Quote:

Um...Jean where did you see Grey Poupon?

Click on the username and examine the user's profile:

Quote:

Occupation I work with Grey Poupon

If blueberry muffins have blueberries in them, what do vegan muffins have?
  Re: Re: Mac & Cheese by labradors ([blockquote]Quote:[h...)
Doh!

Ok now I'm curious too I just pass the Grey Poupon...