The Sourdough Bagel
  Re: (...)
Using mother to make the classic bagel. Make no doubt about it, bagels involve a lot of steps to produce. But they are oh so good. We are making bagels with a Mother, biga, chef, sourdough starter! The steps are easy, but there are a few and with a dough this heavy lots of time in between rises. First we measure up the mother. In this recipe we are using a 1/3 cup to start the process.

[Image: mothermrsre.jpg]

Notice the adjust a measure I am using to measure this wet sticky dough. My wife found me this one years ago. I like the device as I can pack the material in it and push it out, scrape it off clean and move on to the next step. Works well with syrups and other heavy liquids as well. So we add the mother and warm water to the mixing bowl and prepare to measure the malt. I changed the recipe a little as I have made this in the past. I have some malt extract for a dark beer I am making, so I am going to take a little donation from it to create a darker bohemian bagel.

[Image: malt.jpg]

With the mother now mixed and broke up in the warm water I add in the malt extract to let it break up a little. Doing this will help the dough be more homogeneous faster.
[Image: dough.jpg]

After following the mixing, resting, mixing cycle as the time indicates on the recipe, we set the dough to rise.

[Image: rising.jpg]

The rise time will take a while so we can busy ourselves with the spreads or toppings. Now there are bagel topping galore so I am not going to go into a ton of different toppings. You probably are familiar with salmon, capers, butter, jelly, and the traditional SCHMEAR of cream cheese. I really like a modified cream cheese. I am going to take some nice Spanish olives and slice them, fold them into the cream cheese and reefer it so it stiffens up a little.

[Image: olivecream.jpg]

After the dough has set and rose for about 2 hours I cut it into four equal pieces.

[Image: cut.jpg]

Then I will start to form the bagels. You will find hole punchers in the area. I do not do so as I don't think it produces a nice bagel. I am a roll on the hand and pinch the ends together bagel maker. Which is the traditional way they were formed.

[Image: form.jpg]

Kind of loop them over my fingers and then stick the two ends together, rolling them a little. Careful not to smash the dough to much.

[Image: formrise.jpg]

[Image: allrise.jpg]

After waiting the hour for the bagels to rise we are ready to cook. The cooking of a bagel involves boiling it first, then oven finishing it. I add malt syrup to the water so the dough does not lose its flavor to the water. A little salt is also added to the water.

[Image: boil.jpg]

Now the bagel should sink and then float to the top. If it does not it just means you could have let it rise a little longer. But they will still be very good no matter what. They may have to be loosened from the pan bottom if they
sunk and stuck. So don't wait to long before poking around and seeing them. Once boil about 30 second to a minute on each side you can remove to the cooking sheet.

[Image: boiled.jpg]

With you oven in the neighborhood of 500 F you can bake these bagels off til brown on top. If you bagels never really floated you might need to go 50 minutes. But most will take 40 minutes.

[Image: baking.jpg]

Then remove to cool them, allowing them to rest is not an option, it is part of the bagel making process, so give it half an hour sitting on a wire rack.

[Image: done.jpg]

Now homemade bagels should look homemade. So don't get tangle in your underwear trying to make them all alike. They are not suppose to be alike. You want them to have character! After the resting time when you split one open it should look like this.

[Image: split.jpg]

Top that puppy off with whatever you like on your bagel and sit down with the coffee and the paper!

[Image: splitspread.jpg]

Hope you enjoy your fresh bagels!

'til we talk again, take the time to make up some homemade bagels, the kitchen smells great, the bagels taste great, and they really are a nice treat!

Chef Bob Ballantyne
The Cowboy and The Rose Catering
Grand Junction, Colorado, USA
Chef de Cuisine

USMC Sgt 1979-1985
  Re: The Sourdough Bagel by bbally (Using mother to make...)
Bob,

This looks so good. You are making me hungry!
"Time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time."
Laura
  Re: Re: The Sourdough Bagel by luvnit (Bob,[br][br]This loo...)
Must agree with you Bob...nothing like a homemade bagel!!! Question, tho....why only 4 when they are such work (time wise)? Have you ever made them up to the boil point and then freeze, to bake off later? I've never tried that but have been tempted. Just wondering what the outcome would be.....

Now how about a tutorial on homemade PRETZELS!!! Have a fantastic pretzel recipe (think there is malt in them, too!) They go great with homemade beer! Brewing is now going to be an easier task here...a shop just opened up next to the market I go to daily, strictly for the home brewer! Never knew so many varieties of hops existed!!!
Vive Bene! Spesso L'Amore! Di Risata Molto!

Buon Appetito!

Linda
  Re: Re: The Sourdough Bagel by MUSICMAKER (Must agree with you ...)
Quote:

Now how about a tutorial on homemade PRETZELS!!!

One thing I would like to do, sometime, is to make pretzel ROLLS. When I worked at the restaurant, they used to have rolls that were made from pretzel dough. Boy, did those make great sandwiches. One of the guests, one time, was a guy visiting from Germany, and when he had a sandwich on one of those rolls, he said it reminded him of back in Germany.
If blueberry muffins have blueberries in them, what do vegan muffins have?
  Re: Re: The Sourdough Bagel by labradors ([blockquote]Quote:[h...)
Labradors, I have a recipe for those, recently acquired, but have yet to make them. I saw them at the bakery and bought one and they are YUMMY! That is when I went on the recipe search. Don't know why I haven't made them yet.....maybe it's time!!!

Buon Appetito!

Linda
  Re: Re: The Sourdough Bagel by MUSICMAKER (Labradors, I have a ...)
Quote:

Labradors, I have a recipe for those, recently acquired, but have yet to make them.

Sounds great! I have found a few on the Web, already. It would be interesting to compare notes, but I'll start a separate thread for that.
If blueberry muffins have blueberries in them, what do vegan muffins have?
  Re: Re: The Sourdough Bagel by labradors ([blockquote]Quote:[h...)
Coming from Penna. Dutch area I will do one on pretzels in a week or so. I have several from the Germans I grew up with in the rural areas of Penna.
Chef de Cuisine

USMC Sgt 1979-1985
  Re: Re: The Sourdough Bagel by bbally (Coming from Penna. D...)
Oh, YES!!!! Please do!!! Absolutely LOVE the "authentic" recipes! Thanks for taking up the suggestion!!!

Buon Appetito!

Linda
  Re: Re: The Sourdough Bagel by MUSICMAKER (Oh, YES!!!! Please ...)
You are welcome Linda, I will get a picture blog on it for next weekend for you.
Chef de Cuisine

USMC Sgt 1979-1985
  Re: Re: The Sourdough Bagel by bbally (You are welcome Lind...)
Bob, would you happen to have a recipe for Stollen in your treasure trove of German recipes? Also, have you (or anyone, actually) tried the pretzel recipe that [Email]C@H[/Email] has in one of their issues? Don't have the issue # at hand but can get it.....just wondering if anybody made them and how there were.

Issue #23 is where the pretzel recipe is.

Buon Appetito!

Linda