LeCreuset vs. Calphalon One Infused Anodized
  Re: (...)
Okay I am looking for a good Dutch Oven. (looking onine all day) I am really admiring the Calphalon One Infused Anodized line. Does anyone have any of these? What do you think?

I just read MusicMakers LeCreuset post and don't know if I'm heading in the wrong direction.

Thanks,
AJ
  Re: LeCreuset vs. Calphalon One Infused Anodized by LuvFud (Okay I am looking fo...)
If you are confused about the "Dutch Oven" comment, perhaps this will help. "Dutch Oven" is related to the "style" or "shape" of the pot, and how it is used for cooking and NOT meaning that the pot is a "fraud" and not truly the French-made product. Liken the term to a "french fry"....does that mean that potatoes fried only by the French are truly a "French" fry? Not! Technically, the term "dutch oven" is defined as, "any heavy pot or pan made of cast iron or enamel on cast iron with a heavy lid, used for braising, stewing, or roasting on the stovetop, in the oven, or over an open fire..."

I have had the LeCreuset’s for only a week and LOVE them! I have always wanted at least one LC but the cost was prohibitive. When I saw these and the incredible markdown, it would have been a sin to pass them up!!! Especially wanting them as badly as I did! I do not have Calphalon but do have All Clad’s --- every pot, pan, baker, etc. that they make. Including their “Dutch” oven. I’m ready to get rid of them already because I love the LeCreuset’s that much!!! As somebody said in that post, it will become your "go to" pot...and it really has, already! I have also cooked with cast iron quite a bit. My dad, who was a magnificent cook, and my grandmothers all cooked with cast iron. Some people swear that is the only way to cook, but, everyone has their own opinion on what makes “the best” cookware. I’m sold on the LeCreuset’s because it is the best of both worlds. (IMHO!)

I just read someplace about one of the test kitchens from one of the “cooking” magazines – cannot recall which one – they did their kitchen testing on the “Dutch oven” and All Clad, Calphalon, LeCreuset and Cuisinart were all TIED as far as performance. The “winner” was the Cuisinart but that decision was based solely on the PRICE -- $49.95. With that in mind, I would say that any one of the aforementioned brands would do, and the choice based on what your wallet can handle. I will try to find which magazine it was in and post it here.

Good luck with your decision!

Edit:

• A heavy cooking pot, usually of cast iron or enamel-on-iron, with a heavy cover.
www.recipegoldmine.com/glossary/glossaryD.html
• A cast-iron pot used for the preparation of stews, braises, and pot-roasts.
www.newitalianrecipes.com/cooking-terms.html
• Large cast iron cooking pots used with charcoal to make delicious camp meals. Often referred to as the "DO".
www.escapeadventures.com/pre_trip_information/glossary.htm
A large, heavy kettle with a tight-fitting lid, often made of cast iron or heavy aluminum. The pot is usually used for stewing or braising, and most can be used to cook on stovetop, in the oven, and over an open fire. Recipe: Beef and Beer Oven Stew
www.southernfood.about.com/library/info/bld_d.htm

Vive Bene! Spesso L'Amore! Di Risata Molto!

Buon Appetito!

Linda
  Re: Re: LeCreuset vs. Calphalon One Infused Anodized by MUSICMAKER (If you are confused ...)
Cooking ware is such a personal choice AJ - like what or which knives fit your hand. I would suggest rather than shopping on line first, going to stores and see all your choices, handle them, then go online and find your best price for what you decide you really like.

Good luck in your adventure!!
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: LeCreuset vs. Calphalon One Infused Anodized by cjs (Cooking ware is such...)
AJ, absolutely what Jean said. I buy my cookware piece by piece depending on what I need. Needless to say I don't have a matched set! TJ Max and Marshall's are great places to pick up the single, brand name pieces.

PJ
PJ
  Re: Re: LeCreuset vs. Calphalon One Infused Anodized by pjcooks (AJ, absolutely what ...)
We do the same thing, no matched sets of anything. I like Jean's idea of going to the store and actually handling the cookware. You can tell a lot by doing that and you just get a certain feel for it and know if it would work well for you.

I bought some nice, heavy, non-stick skillets from Sam's Club about 6 months ago and can't believe how often I'm using them these days. But, for browning there is nothing like my cast iron skillet.

Maryann
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."
  Re: Re: LeCreuset vs. Calphalon One Infused Anodized by Mare749 (We do the same thing...)
I love the LC pieces. Hate the price but if I found at a real good price I would purchase them as well. One they last forever and have a great track record. I think the only draw back is how heavy they are.

But I would love the 5 1/2 quart Dutch Oven and the oval au gratin piece.

What I really need is more stainless fry/saute pans, and 2 more pots.

Has anyone ever purchased used pieces on Amazon?
  Re: Re: LeCreuset vs. Calphalon One Infused Anodized by DFen911 (I love the LC pieces...)
Denise, never purchased any used cookware from Amazon so cannot help you there; however, I have purchased used cookware from garage sales or estate sales! It's amazing what you can pick up for a buck or two!!! Have picked up some copper cookware there, along with those copper molds, like for jello or cakes. Usually people get rid of these "gems" because they get black or dark or the burned grease, when all you have to do is put some muscle into them with some good soap/cleaners, and BAM! Another place to find some good deals are resale/thrift shops or "antique" shops, where a lot of things really are not quite "antique"!

Yes! TJ Maxx, Marshall's, and Kohl's are great places for picking up steals! The trick there is to ask when they receive their goodies and when will it be stocked, and then return on those days so you will get the pick of the litter!!!

The All Clad set was a Christmas gift to self last year, but am REAL sorry I invested in it because I still go back to the "odds and ends"! IMHO, you break those few pieces in and they just become your favorites -- your "go-to's" as someone here called them! Since picking up that steal-of-a-deal with those LeCruset's, that one pot hasn't left the stove yet, except for washing!!! Doesn't even make it to the cupboard!
Vive Bene! Spesso L'Amore! Di Risata Molto!

Buon Appetito!

Linda
  Re: LeCreuset vs. Calphalon One Infused Anodized by LuvFud (Okay I am looking fo...)
Okay i grabbed the LeCreuset at TJ Maxx yesterday for a good price, not as good as musicmakers, but my husband survived the price. I think you are right the LeCreuset is the right weight for a dutch oven and he calphalon is too light.

I have handled the Calphalon and love them, they were the only thing that I didn't get off of my wedding registry. I was wondering if anyone has been cooking on these for a while before I make such an expensive purchase?

Thanks,
AJ
  Re: Re: LeCreuset vs. Calphalon One Infused Anodized by DFen911 (I love the LC pieces...)
Post deleted by TwilightKitten
Tammy
  Re: Re: LeCreuset vs. Calphalon One Infused Anodized *DELETED* *DELETED* by TwilightKitten (Post deleted by Twil...)
I'm new to Calphalon. I bought some at amazon on the Friday sale. A stockpot, frypan, and pot. GTRST prices. But, I have since read that while they used to be made in USA, some pieces are now made in China ( like the ones I bought) and are not of the same quality (I got the China made ones without knowing the difference). When I unpacked them Friday, I was surprised at them. They felt chintzy to me, hope they cook better. I've never been disappointed with LeCrueset.
Practice safe lunch. Use a condiment.